Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Radar - are you going to keep your EV after the battery craps out? See how they replace it. And drive it for another XX years?

To be fair if the battery last 15 years that would be great. If it last 10 that would be ok, if it lasts 12 years that would be good and 15 years would be great.

I did see there are companies that take old EV batteries and refurbish them. They fix the bad cells.

I was curious and Googled life expectancy of a gasoline powered car. Most articles say 200,000 miles. That same article says a EV can go 300,000 miles.

You are an excellent test case.
No. We switch out cars every four years or so. All our previous EV’s are still driving around town or the neighbouring town.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2022, 09:40 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
No. We switch out cars every four years or so. All our previous EV’s are still driving around town or the neighbouring town.
If you ever need qualified techs to work on any EV, I have a friend with a shop that I believe is in Langley BC. They are soon to move to a new facility they're having built. They do lots of EV and EV battery repair.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:57 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
If you ever need qualified techs to work on any EV, I have a friend with a shop that I believe is in Langley BC. They are soon to move to a new facility they're having built. They do lots of EV and EV battery repair.
Good to hear. There are a couple of 3rd party shops in Vancouver now. They do battery rebuilds on the first generation leafs etc. Reasonably priced. We haven’t had anything go wrong with our EV’s yet. Knock on wood.

We are impressed with our Y. We got it in March and have put over 16000 plus kilometres on it. Over 14000 is towing our trailer. Not a glitch, not a rattle.

We are on the homeward leg of our Vancouver island tour. We cross on the ferry tomorrow to Powell river and then the Sunshine Coast to horseshoe bay and up over the Squamish, whistler, pemberton loop to Lillooet. We have never done highway 99 before. I think the pass is 1800 meters and a lot of 13 percent grades. Looks like we’ll beat the snow if the weather holds. There are a few hikes into waterfalls along the way that we have been wanting to do so we will be dry camping in provincial parks along the way. Should be home in a week.

Then it’s time to pickle the trailer for the winter and put snow tires on the car. Sigh…….

Cheers.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:21 AM   #46

Radar or Auto - do you know anyone with an old Toyota Prius. I am thinking from early 2000's would be a good test. It would be good to know one that has had the battery replaced and how that went.

I have a friend that likes the Toyota Prius and has had 2 but only for 7 years or so. He buys them new. One I know had to have the bearings replaced. Shortly after that he bought another new one. So not a good long term example.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:36 AM   #47

Quote:
Radar or Auto - do you know anyone with an old Toyota Prius. I am thinking from early 2000's would be a good test. It would be good to know one that has had the battery replaced and how that went.

I have a friend that likes the Toyota Prius and has had 2 but only for 7 years or so. He buys them new. One I know had to have the bearings replaced. Shortly after that he bought another new one. So not a good long term example.
Interesting story:
Family learns unforgettable lesson when electric vehicle battery suddenly dies, replacement costs more than the car
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:12 PM   #48

Yikes that is a true horror story. Battery died and car is worthless. Technology will continue to move forward (I can't stop it). So things a manufacturer made 10 years ago will be so far out of date that you can not even get the vehicle repaired.

Will all the Tesla's built so far end up in the scape heap and be worse than a IC. I already saw the batteries are very difficult to depose of let alone recycle.

EV vehicles can not stand on their own merit without government subsidies. I sure hope the stupid government is not spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on a boondoggle.

So far noone on this forum keeps an EV until the battery dies.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:51 PM   #49

Quote:
Yikes that is a true horror story. Battery died and car is worthless. Technology will continue to move forward (I can't stop it). So things a manufacturer made 10 years ago will be so far out of date that you can not even get the vehicle repaired.

Will all the Tesla's built so far end up in the scape heap and be worse than a IC. I already saw the batteries are very difficult to depose of let alone recycle.

EV vehicles can not stand on their own merit without government subsidies. I sure hope the stupid government is not spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on a boondoggle.

Meh. It’s a good story but it doesn’t play out. People just take them to 3 rd party EV shops. They swap out the battery with a rebuild for a quarter of the price and they are good to go. The follow up story never makes it to the news. Same as the Volt story in the news a few weeks ago. Quoted something like 28000 from the dealer to repair it. Actual cost was 6900 plus a days labour. And those batteries that are removed will be rebuilt and put into another car. Not near as good a story though. .
Old 09-21-2022, 04:30 PM   #50

If this came from an actual news source it might be more believable. I have more confidence in local high school papers than that.

I know folks that will fix it.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:46 PM   #51

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
I think the peak for BEV requirement and use is not yet in sight.

Porsche claims to be developing synthetic gasoline
from Unicorn Farts?
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:50 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where will they charge these OTR semi trucks?
And how is the electricity generated?
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:50 PM   #53

Quote:

How many EVs were there just 10 years ago? There were not many choices, and what I consider an affordable and usable EV didn't really exist until just a few years ago. For me, that something with a 350km+ range and under 50k. I can't afford a Tesla, well, I could, but retirement plans would change for sure.

All this talk about expensive batteries going kaput. Has anyone thought about the cost to repair a modern drivetrain on many vehicles? An engine job can easily fetch 10k, all the way to 30k+ for many higher end models. Transmissions, differentials, they all break eventually. Heck, just a defective fuel system on a modern diesel truck will cost 10k and more if some garbage gets through it.
Old 09-22-2022, 05:36 AM   #54

What happens if you run over a rock in the road in your EV and it damages the battery? Do you throw the car away?
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:44 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
What happens if you run over a rock in the road in your EV and it damages the battery? Do you throw the car away?
It will take a helluva rock too damage the almost armor plated batteries. A rock like that would total any vehicle. Have you seen reports of batteries damaged this way?
Old 09-22-2022, 07:23 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
That is what insurance is for.

Tags
electric