Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
There’s always a balancing point. Great Britain has seen a 42% increase in charging station fees since May 2022.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...vasion-ukraine

Some trucking companies only refuel at their lots with diesel. This gives the company control over costs and the ability to make a nearly 2,000 mile round trip without refueling. It will be decades until a BEV semi can do that. The KW limited range/capacity might work for our farm. Except we contract with trucking companies who haul for several others, and they can’t wait around to recharge during harvest. KW makes a great truck. One of the truckers has a T600 with over 1.2 million miles. I hope it works out, but there’s a long way to go.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 07:35 PM   #86
ONO

Five hundred tons of earth/ore will be refined into 1 lithium car battery.It takes about 900 gallons of diesel to extract the ore. lithium is refined from ore using sulfuric acids mining operation is estimated to require 75 semi trucks a day sulfuric acid, the acid does not just disappear when used.An electric car like TESLA IS MADE OF 25 POUNDS OF LITHIUM,60 POUNDS OF nickel,44 pounds of MANGANESE,30 POUNDS OF cobalt,200 pounds of COPPER ,400 pounds of ALUMNINUM,steel AN plastic.===GREEN ENERGY ==I DONT THINK SO. The the current way we create energy is a fraction of the cost, SO DONT BUY INTO LITHIUM BATTERY ISSUE ,it is environmentally a disaster down the road. HYDROGEN is a better looking bet down the road. FYI
ONO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:08 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONO View Post
Five hundred tons of earth/ore will be refined into 1 lithium car battery.It takes about 900 gallons of diesel to extract the ore. lithium is refined from ore using sulfuric acids mining operation is estimated to require 75 semi trucks a day sulfuric acid, the acid does not just disappear when used.An electric car like TESLA IS MADE OF 25 POUNDS OF LITHIUM,60 POUNDS OF nickel,44 pounds of MANGANESE,30 POUNDS OF cobalt,200 pounds of COPPER ,400 pounds of ALUMNINUM,steel AN plastic.===GREEN ENERGY ==I DONT THINK SO. The the current way we create energy is a fraction of the cost, SO DONT BUY INTO LITHIUM BATTERY ISSUE ,it is environmentally a disaster down the road. HYDROGEN is a better looking bet down the road. FYI
You correctly point out that production of the metals used in EV batteries is ecologically disastrous. Lithium minining is bad but nickel mining is shaping up to be the bigger threat. Batteries require highly purified 99%+ nickel as opposed to the much lesser grades that are commonly used in stainless steel production. The process to refine battery grade nickel is expensive and very polluting. Most of the nickel sulfide ores that are required are found in third world countries where you can still get away with polluting the air and groundwater. There are no mines in the US where you can process nickel ores cleanly and economically. Global ore deposits are not sufficient to support much more battery production than we have now, meaning that EVs are going to become much more expensive. Probably the idea of having cars powered by these batteries will eventually have to be abandoned.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:38 AM   #88

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I doubt anyone will care in a few years, if they ever did. Technology is moving so fast with electric that any conversation we have about it today is out of date by the time we're done. At the moment we can find something bad to say about electric, but that's true about anything. EVs are here, their numbers are growing, along with the infrastructure to support them. Big trucks and RVs running on electric will be here before you know it. It's going to be awesome.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:59 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
I doubt anyone will care in a few years, if they ever did. Technology is moving so fast with electric that any conversation we have about it today is out of date by the time we're done. At the moment we can find something bad to say about electric, but that's true about anything. EVs are here, their numbers are growing, along with the infrastructure to support them. Big trucks and RVs running on electric will be here before you know it. It's going to be awesome.
There are some that feel that by spewing a bunch of fallacies and misinformation that they may be able to alter the course of progress. They are already a decade behind. These things have been put in motion long ago, and it's about time. I believe one day they will be able to try an EV and they will like it. No noise, no messy fuel and fluids, no oil changes, no rusting exhaust systems and more.

They cannot stop progress, it is here and steamrolling on. Some of the comments on environmental consequences are totally laughable, especially the one on hydro power being the worst for the environment.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:56 AM   #90

Governments don't provide subsidies, individual taxpayers do. And large Corporations aren't taxpayers, they collect taxes, which are necessarily added to the price of their products, from their customers and pass them on to the fed and state gov'ts, who choose the economic winners and losers. Boom!
medarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:37 AM   #91

Buy Stock Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
I can see homes with two EV(maybe more with kids) in garages ,at townhomes,
at condo's, high schools and colleges parking lots full of them , plus some with ERV's , it will be AWESOME ! Then just wait for the EMF radiation lawsuits . Don't even thing about getting a heart pacer and driving a ERV. IMHO Californians soon will be saying, Man what have we been smoking , then again it could take time, they could still be smoking
Old 10-01-2022, 05:38 AM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I don’t know about the pace being sustainable. If last year you sell 10 and this year you sell 20, that’s 100% increase. But still a very small portion of an entire market. I’ll defer to the head of Toyota who has some intriguing thoughts of electric cars. I’ll also wait until the electric car market reaches the same level of market share that they had 100 years ago before getting excited. There a few other similarities that to that time period that may affect new car sales in the near future.
One question I have is why aren’t fire trucks all electric? They spend most of their time parked in a climate controlled building, plugged in, and are exempt in most places from weight restrictions. When they do move it’s for a relatively short distance. Is it because battery packs aren’t dependable enough to pump water?
Old 10-01-2022, 07:03 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe I care View Post
I can see homes with two EV(maybe more with kids) in garages ,at townhomes,
at condo's, high schools and colleges parking lots full of them , plus some with ERV's , it will be AWESOME ! Then just wait for the EMF radiation lawsuits . Don't even thing about getting a heart pacer and driving a ERV. IMHO Californians soon will be saying, Man what have we been smoking , then again it could take time, they could still be smoking
Better start looking for that extra heavy duty tin foil hat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
I don’t know about the pace being sustainable. If last year you sell 10 and this year you sell 20, that’s 100% increase. But still a very small portion of an entire market. I’ll defer to the head of Toyota who has some intriguing thoughts of electric cars. I’ll also wait until the electric car market reaches the same level of market share that they had 100 years ago before getting excited. There a few other similarities that to that time period that may affect new car sales in the near future.
One question I have is why aren’t fire trucks all electric? They spend most of their time parked in a climate controlled building, plugged in, and are exempt in most places from weight restrictions. When they do move it’s for a relatively short distance. Is it because battery packs aren’t dependable enough to pump water?
Toyota is the proof EVs are coming and here to stay. They bet on hybrid powertrains and now are a decade behind the curve, so they partnered with GM to use their technology and powertrains for the EVs.

There is an EV fire truck in B.C. Canada, I think it may be in Vancouver. Los Angeles also has one, but there aren't tons of them in production yet.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:11 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
A fire truck, like other emergency vehicles, is expected to function during power outages that could last days or even longer. You can always find a tankful of diesel but if the electricity is off for a few days an EV would be dead. Then there is the cost. A BEV may cost 3 times that of a diesel.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:54 AM   #95

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cana...-out-vancouver

We can see the future shaping for applications like big RVs and mohos.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:31 PM   #96

Wait a Minute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cana...-out-vancouver

We can see the future shaping for applications like big RVs and mohos.
It's a diesel with a battery or is it a battery with a diesel? Now that's progress. GOT DIESEL
Old 10-02-2022, 06:12 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe I care View Post
It's a diesel with a battery or is it a battery with a diesel? Now that's progress. GOT DIESEL
I suspect 90%+ of its operation time will be on the battery. Since it's an emergency vehicle and people's lives depend on it, a diesel backup generator is installed for extended work periods and/or extended power interruptions,such as with natural disasters the Fraser Valley encountered in 2021.

It's really no different than having large diesel or gas backup generators at hospitals or other buildings. I don't know why people think they're taking a "victory lap" because of this. Eliminating the noise and pollution is the goal. Why people seem to love and cherish those 2 things is beyond me.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:23 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
What a catastrophe. Electric trucks cost three times that of diesel trucks. The only way they can exist is by government supporting them with your tax dollars. Fortunately the EV revolution seems to be coming to an end and we won't have to deal with this bad technology much longer.
Were it not for gov't subsidies there would be no public transportation, highways, computers, fiber optics, public hospitals, VA, polio vaccine, ..... As for the end of EV's being just over the horizon not sure where you're getting that information, but I'd maybe try another channel.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric