Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2022, 02:46 PM   #1

Kenworth BEV (electric) heavy duty trucks arriving locally

A large local trucking company has received 2 of the new Kenworth trucks. Yes, they are expensive, 412 000$ CDN. Yes, they have somewhat of a short range, some 250km or so.

Both govts. are offering subsidies in the order of 300 000$ total. Yeah, Even I found this a bit outrageous, but they are taking advantage of it legally. They figure around 450k CDN per truck once the infrstructure and electric hookups get installed, but in actuality, around 150k after subsidies.

These trucks will require 5x less maintenance. The actuarial calculations support it. Instead of filling hundreds of liters of 1.70$/l diesel, they'll be using electrons for maybe 10% of the cost.

What does this have to do with RVing? Well...hope. As I've posted many times before, we already run EV buses and a variety of other trucks. It's a matter of time that EV pickups and the like pop up. I also believe the cost of this technology will be greatly reduced as volume increases. Subsidies will not be required at one point.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2022, 03:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Subsidies will not be required at one point.
In the US EV's have had subsidies since 2010 which were 'suppose' to be phased out once an auto maker sold 200,00 units.

The recently pass Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) has extended those subsides indefinitely

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:14 PM   #3

Well, some current manufacturers are still receiving subsidies in one form or another 100 years later, so I guess it's fair?

Other fuel source makers are receiving subsidies well over 100 years later...

This bodes well for EV technology.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:30 PM   #4

I have a lot of trouble seeing EVs being useful for boondocking for a long time. There isn't a reasonable way to charge one off grid that I see. I guess you could go to the end of civilization and charge to 100%, then use a generator for an extended period of time to get back to 100%. Right now range is an issue for TV, but I believe that will eventually get fixed.

It's not an issue for me at 60 years old, I will be able to get a TV that will last until I am done RVing, but IMO, the future looks pretty bleak.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
A large local trucking company has received 2 of the new Kenworth trucks. Yes, they are expensive, 412 000$ CDN. Yes, they have somewhat of a short range, some 250km or so.

Both govts. are offering subsidies in the order of 300 000$ total. Yeah, Even I found this a bit outrageous, but they are taking advantage of it legally. They figure around 450k CDN per truck once the infrstructure and electric hookups get installed, but in actuality, around 150k after subsidies.

These trucks will require 5x less maintenance. The actuarial calculations support it. Instead of filling hundreds of liters of 1.70$/l diesel, they'll be using electrons for maybe 10% of the cost.

What does this have to do with RVing? Well...hope. As I've posted many times before, we already run EV buses and a variety of other trucks. It's a matter of time that EV pickups and the like pop up. I also believe the cost of this technology will be greatly reduced as volume increases. Subsidies will not be required at one point.

I know it is a start, but 150 mile range, before a recharge? I am sure no little 240 volt 50 amp charger will do!

your fuel price is currently artificially, and will likely go down> Here on the left coast still paying over double for diesel of what it was 18 months ago!

Interesting that they beat Tesla.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
I know it is a start, but 150 mile range, before a recharge? I am sure no little 240 volt 50 amp charger will do!

your fuel price is currently artificially, and will likely go down> Here on the left coast still paying over double for diesel of what it was 18 months ago!

Interesting that they beat Tesla.
I think Tesla is shooting for a different market. The tesla semi is aimed at (and being sold to) companies that do Depot to depot runs. They are also an 800 kilometre range truck. The customers Tesla is selling them to are installing or have installed mega chargers with 500 kw or greater charge capability.

I’m sure there will be other players developing for other markets as well. Although I don’t think any company is currently developing for the long haul market. All in time I suppose.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:45 PM   #7

What a catastrophe. Electric trucks cost three times that of diesel trucks. The only way they can exist is by government supporting them with your tax dollars. Fortunately the EV revolution seems to be coming to an end and we won't have to deal with this bad technology much longer.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:34 PM   #8

I saw a video of a nay sayer. They said there is not enough copper to make the batteries. Plus in 10 to 12 years when the original batteries are caput it is not easy to recycle the pieces and parts that make up the batteries.

The government is throwing a lot of tax payer money at making EV's work. I hope it is not the boondoggle that it appears to be.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
What a catastrophe. Electric trucks cost three times that of diesel trucks. The only way they can exist is by government supporting them with your tax dollars. Fortunately the EV revolution seems to be coming to an end and we won't have to deal with this bad technology much longer.
Coming to an end??? How so??
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Coming to an end??? How so??
There has been a lot of talk about hydrogen taking over EV's in the next 5-10 years. Who knows?
mto502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:47 AM   #11

Good point. However, the government and regulatory momentum for BEV's is significant and actually increasing. While there is Hydrogen fuel cell technology and possible other alternatives yet to be developed, I think the peak for BEV requirement and use is not yet in sight.

Porsche claims to be developing synthetic gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mto502 View Post
There has been a lot of talk about hydrogen taking over EV's in the next 5-10 years. Who knows?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:23 AM   #12

EV coming to an end soon? Ha, that is the biggest joke I've hear in quite awhile!

Nope, OEMs are investing heavily in them and battery technology, as well as mining for the necessary minerals and such. Toyota and Honda wanted nothing to do with them, now they're backtracking and paying dearly for it. Toyota is paying GM for using their licensed technology on the soon to come "Toyota" EVs.

Sure, govt. is helping now, no different than when the first ICE engines came out. As I said, OEMs are STILL getting subsidized well over 100 years later on old, defunct technology.

I see no way for hydrogen to be sustainable and safe for the general public. There is almost ZERO infrastructure anywhere. You guys are whining about poor EV infrastructure, there's only ONE hydrogen station in our entire province. They did a 3 or 4 year test and are stuck with dozens of unwanted hydrogen vehicles no one wants. After 2 major explosions at filling stations, I have yet to hear of a major incident at a recharging station for EVs.

The copper isn't for the batteries, it's for the motors and wiring. It's not like there's none of that in any ICE vehicle right? There are advancements in graphite technology that will change things.

All things in time, I'm anxious to see how these EV HD trucks hold up. The school and city buses are doing well so far. They are recouping all investments as planned and then some.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:25 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
You’ve sold me! Imagine getting a $400,000 MH brand new and the taxpaying neighbors giving me $300,000 to pay for it. Selling my diesel will result in zero out of pocket for a brand new MH. No brainer. Wonder if the neighbors will pay for 75% of the tires when I need them. They really need to pay for 75% of my food for eating environmentally friendly.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
You’ve sold me! Imagine getting a $400,000 MH brand new and the taxpaying neighbors giving me $300,000 to pay for it. Selling my diesel will result in zero out of pocket for a brand new MH. No brainer. Wonder if the neighbors will pay for 75% of the tires when I need them. They really need to pay for 75% of my food for eating environmentally friendly.
Jealous?

I'm SURE you would do the same as that company did, and why not? Govt has figured some things out with this. They'll be testing infrastructure, weighing future demand, reducing pollution, reducing traffic (less fuel transport) and more. Some of the costs will diminish just through these things.

Tags
electric