Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2023, 11:04 AM   #1

KOA campgrounds and ELectric tow vehicle charging.

Hi folks. The list of KOA locations with dedicated electric tow vehicle charging continues to get longer. Their website shows I think 14 now although I believe it hasn’t been updated as I think there are now 20. Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like they are using a sema connect 8 KW EVSE although we have seen pics of others as well. We have the sema connect app and RFID card but haven’t used it in a KOA.

KOA has reworked there corporate policy and asks that campers not use their camping pedestals for charging EV’s. Although later it kind of suggests you can ask the operator. We do that and have been told to go ahead and charge although one asked that we rent a 50 amp site. We politely declined as the 30 amp sites were nicer. (More trees). Although it didn’t matter. It rained both days. .

I think the rates will be standard sema connect rates for the area which seem to fluctuate from region to region. I would count on anywhere from a 1.50 to 3 bucks an hour. They seem to compete with ChargePoint in this regard. I have not been able to confirm this.

Anyway. We stumbled on to some of this as we plan on staying at St Mary east Glacier park for 3 or 4 days this summer and they just got their first two Sema connect EVSE’s installed. Nice and good timing for us.

There is a list on their website. It has doubled in the last 6 months and I know it’s not up to date so if not sure just call and ask the campground you are planning to stay at.

Cheers and happy camping all.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2023, 12:54 PM   #2

Found this pic from the St Marys campground at Glacier.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:06 AM   #3

Nice to see increased charging options. Now we need to see EV,s that can be flat towed. That will be the game changer for many of use.

Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 01-25-2023, 08:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper2022 View Post
Nice to see increased charging options. Now we need to see EV,s that can be flat towed. That will be the game changer for many of use.

Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
That would be nice. I still think Rivian will someday.

Jmho.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper2022 View Post

Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
2023 Ford Escape fully electric is flat towable max tow speed 70 mph.

Know of any others?
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 11:25 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
i don't think you can flat tow a Tesla. Not sure about other EV's. One reason they have no transmission. Good question. I'm thinking about buying a Ford Lighting hybrid later on. Anyone know more about this?
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
i don't think you can flat tow a Tesla. Not sure about other EV's. One reason they have no transmission. Good question. I'm thinking about buying a Ford Lighting hybrid later on. Anyone know more about this?
You can download the owners manual, it's free
Old 07-02-2023, 01:00 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
2023 Ford Escape fully electric is flat towable max tow speed 70 mph.

Know of any others?
You made me go check that Ford hadn’t started to sell an EV Escape; confirmed they don’t. You’re correct that the PHEV is flat-towable but that’s only electric for <40 miles as I understand it, and you still have all the complications of an ICE vehicle.

We’re holding out for a flat-towable EV and will nurse our 13-year-old Honda in the meanwhile!
Old 07-02-2023, 06:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post
You made me go check that Ford hadn’t started to sell an EV Escape; confirmed they don’t. You’re correct that the PHEV is flat-towable but that’s only electric for &lt;40 miles as I understand it, and you still have all the complications of an ICE vehicle.

We’re holding out for a flat-towable EV and will nurse our 13-year-old Honda in the meanwhile!
You're right, I misread the towing guide, sorry about that.

Full hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid not fully electric

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230702_190612_Acrobat%20for%20Samsung.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	396968
Old 07-02-2023, 11:01 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
You're right, I misread the towing guide, sorry about that.

Full hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid not fully electric

Attachment 396968
No worries Chris - we’re all waiting for the first manufacturer to make the first towable ev and it will become the new standard.

Jeep recently announced three fully EV models: https://insideevs.com/news/609090/je...ric-revealed/; hopefully they’ll pay back their loyal RV market and make at least one of them towable. I’m loving the look of the Avenger!

Tags
campground, charging, electric, tow