Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2021, 05:51 PM   #1

Shell oil to add 500,000 charge points by 2025.

Interesting read.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/02/11/pl...-LDeLklbq1BAPM
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2021, 08:17 PM   #2

And just where will they get the power for all of these charging points? Fossil fuel power plants?
Old 02-11-2021, 08:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
And just where will they get the power for all of these charging points? Fossil fuel power plants?
I doubt it. Shell is a Dutch company and is getting heavily invested in renewables, especially in Europe and Britain. Many of these 500,000 stations will be installed in Europe. We are already seeing them here in Canada. Most countries are not having a problem making the gradual transition to more renewable energy sources. It'll happen.

This is one of their sites here in Canada. We also have a bunch of the green lots sites here which are also owned by them. Pretty reliable chain. We have one of their RFID cards. Pretty painless billing process. Swipe and charge.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:51 PM   #4

So, do they have a 50amp dog bone to plug in to these yet?
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGM37 View Post
So, do they have a 50amp dog bone to plug in to these yet?
You mean into a car? If yes than the answer is yes. We have a 50 amp 14-50 receptacle in the garage. We used a 15 foot extension and just plugged in the EVSE that comes with the car. Pulls max 32 amps or about 8 KW. Works well.
The dog bone is the piece going into the EVSE. You can get different dog bones for different sockets including standard 120 volt 15 amp, 240 volt 20 amp, 240 volt 30 amp (dryer plug etc). Depends what you need. A lot of people just plug it into a standard 120 outlet. Unless you have a real long commute that would work. We did that for a few years.

The other end obviously goes in the car.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
You mean into a car? If yes than the answer is yes
It was just a joke.....I meant pull the RV up to a change station and plug in
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:11 AM   #7

With the slow change to electric vehicles one benefit we will see is stable, low gas prices. Major issue will be loss of road taxes for electric vehicle on our roadways. I love that few ask about what is used to generate the electric. Look what happened to electric rate in California. Law changes stopped new electrical plants from being built and state has to rely on getting a third of the states electric from outside the state. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 02-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I’m going to wait for the free lunch.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:07 AM   #9

Stable, low gas prices ? I can't imagine how anyone can think that is going to happen due to an increase of electric vehicles. A gas station ( or any other business ) needs to generate X amount of dollars per day to pay for help, lights, taxes, ins, etc to stay in business. If the volume of fuel sold goes down then the price per gallon will go up.
Add to that the cost of generating electricity with wind power ( the most expensive way to do it when you add all of the hidden costs such as recycling worn out units and maint. ) and recharging electric cars won't be cheap either.
Don't misunderstand me. I am not saying electric vehicles isn't going to happen.
I am saying that it is going to make everything way more expensive. Think about how food, and most everything else gets delivered. Even if you buy something online it comes to your door in a truck. Do you really think business can, or will, absorb a transportation cost increase ?
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Well said Roy... and do you REALLY think the gooberment will allow their road tax base to go down ?!? Silly people, they will get it back with another tax to help us transition !
Old 02-12-2021, 08:30 AM   #11

You know what they use to build all of the charging stations ? Plastic.

You know what they use to make plastic ? OIL. Its not going away.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:36 AM   #12

I have many weary thoughts about this subject.

First, the question I've never been told an answer to. How much does it cost to charge an electric car? Second. How long does it take to charge an electric car?

Now comments.

If taxes are not generated on gasoline sales, then states will start charging taxes on vehicles themselves, because the "state" HAS to get their revenue. And more than likely, that tax will not be re-invested back into road infrastructure repairs either.

Second, nothing is free. Everything has a trade-off that costs this planet. What process is used to create the electricity to charge the car to begin with. Oh... wind power and solar power. OH that is so free! No it is not! What about all the materials it took to make the solar panels. Where did those factories get their "power" from to run their machines. What is powering the bull dozers, the back hoes, the ditch diggers to run all those electric lines, trenches, and machines to install overhead power lines, and build towers to string wires on the electric power source. What about all the land that is taken to install a solar farm? How about all the fields and crops that get destroyed to install a wind farm?

Don't take this the wrong way. I am not against the use of electric power. But I am dead set against the idea that it doesn't COST anything! There is still a price that has to be paid. The end consumer, plugging in that rubber electric cord into their car, never gave it one second's thought, that that rubber coated cord was produced with oil.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:02 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSpor View Post
I have many weary thoughts about this subject.

First, the question I've never been told an answer to. How much does it cost to charge an electric car? Second. How long does it take to charge an electric car?

Now comments.

If taxes are not generated on gasoline sales, then states will start charging taxes on vehicles themselves, because the "state" HAS to get their revenue. And more than likely, that tax will not be re-invested back into road infrastructure repairs either.

Second, nothing is free. Everything has a trade-off that costs this planet. What process is used to create the electricity to charge the car to begin with. Oh... wind power and solar power. OH that is so free! No it is not! What about all the materials it took to make the solar panels. Where did those factories get their "power" from to run their machines. What is powering the bull dozers, the back hoes, the ditch diggers to run all those electric lines, trenches, and machines to install overhead power lines, and build towers to string wires on the electric power source. What about all the land that is taken to install a solar farm? How about all the fields and crops that get destroyed to install a wind farm?

Don't take this the wrong way. I am not against the use of electric power. But I am dead set against the idea that it doesn't COST anything! There is still a price that has to be paid. The end consumer, plugging in that rubber electric cord into their car, never gave it one second's thought, that that rubber coated cord was produced with oil.
The charging rate is variable.as is time .. 1/2 hour to 1 hour depending on the stations charge rate and cars ability to accept higher rates of charge. These stations are fairly high priced compared to home charging. .....but when I had the Volt it was never more than Gas Equivalent Keep in mind however with the new 250 plus mile cars on the road MOST charging isn't done at these stations!!! EVERYONE (almost) that has a electric car, charges it slower at home overnight or whenever its sitting unused in the Garage or driveway.It becomes automatic to pull in and plug in.. no real effort. These stations are for long trips of more than 100 miles out and then100 plus back. Most people don't do that type driving daily.
Get out of your mind the habit of going to the Gas (charging )station like in your gas car now. You very rarely do that. What if you had unlimited gas at home and every time you pulled into your driveway you filled the car up? How often would you need to go to a gas station when out?
Not that I totally agree but the only fair way to tax is weight mile. just like commercial rigs. pay a per mile tax on all vehicles based on mileage with weight category's. Dump the gas tax would be "fair" but they won't .. they will use it to punish those still using gas. Of course its only my opinion. I loved my electric volt! and it wasn't a true electric. Electric cars are amazing to drive ! until you drive one you really don't get it.
You are correct its not free driving .. Nobody said that .. or shouldn't .. it costs the same or more probably.... but it may be a better way for the commuter to power there transport with a central power station. No oil changes no regular service no stops on the way to work for gas ( your already full remember) My sister has a Tesla , I don't think she even knows how to use a "charge station" no need.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:15 AM   #14

All electric vehicles are subsudised to the tune of $7500 on the Federal level and some on the State level, up to $10,000, total taxpayer $$.

Electric company rate payer are paying for all of the charging stations to be built and installed.

If electric vehicles were a viable alternative to gas engine vehicles, there would be no need to prop them up with other peoples money.

They are making strives in electric vehicles, solar and wind power, but they are not there yet.
The best way to get there is to get the government out of the way.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote