Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2022, 12:52 PM   #1

The new GM Denali electric half ton.

Hi folks. Saw this on YouTube. For those in that high end premium truck market might be interesting. Seems worthy of the Denali name. Not for us but Iím sure there are lots who will buy it.

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/h19_dbZX3FQ
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2022, 01:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Saw another article about it.... A bit more than I can afford.

"The full-size pickup is slated to compete with the Ford F-150 Lightning. GMC will kick off the model with a high-end Denali Edition 1 version, which will arrive in early 2024 starting at $107,000."
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 02:06 PM   #3

I was looking at Class C RVs for less than that 2 years ago.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:11 PM   #4

Yah for sure. Ain’t that a kick in the head. . I see the high end Denali’s driving around here so there must be a market for them. I read somewhere that GM already sold out the whole first run of electric Denali’s. Don’t know if it’s true though.

I think the Silverado version should be more affordable but I haven’t seen any timelines on those yet.

Cheers.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:18 PM   #5

When I ordered my 2015 Canyo that were on allocation, the dealer told me he couldn't get enough Denali Sierra and Yukons. He was trading other dealers his Canyon allocation to get their Denali trucks.

Dealer is just north of DFW Airport and the have a lot of professional athletes and performers who live close by.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
When I ordered my 2015 Canyo that were on allocation, the dealer told me he couldn't get enough Denali Sierra and Yukons. He was trading other dealers his Canyon allocation to get their Denali trucks.

Dealer is just north of DFW Airport and the have a lot of professional athletes and performers who live close by.
Ah yes. They have lots of money. In our province there is also a luxury tax that kicks in at a 100,000 bucks. I can’t imagine they will sell lots here but who knows. .
Old 10-29-2022, 03:13 PM   #7

$100k+ is a bit much for this type of car IMHO but if you have it, more power to you.
SnowG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:04 AM   #8

I still cannot find any electric car that can be towed 4 wheels down yet! (dingy tow)

I will not be buying another gas powered car. I leased one of the first Nissan Leaf's to be built and it was the best car I ever owned. And also turned out to cost almost nothing to commute to work in. The fuel savings alone were about $200 a month back when gas was reasonable which at the time truly amazed me. But the most interesting part of the equation was there was nothing to service. My 7500 mile service was a Tire Rotate. The 15,000 mile service also added wiper blade replacement and cabin filter replacement. (I didn't bother bringing it to the dealer after that as those were user serviceable.)

So, there are multiple entities spreading the disinformation about electric cars. Oil Companies, Gas stations, Car Dealerships, and Repair Facilities. Very few will be needed in the future. The gas stations could install fast chargers, and maybe put in short order food places so the customers can have a meal while using the fast chargers for 30-60 minutes. Now if only we could figure out a way to not need auto body shops...

Now with the amount of range available on all the new ones I do not see the need for a gas engine'd car as a backup anymore. My original Leaf's pitiful range (about 60 miles) was way to short for anything more than my commute and trips around town. The Danali costs way more than I would pay for a car. I did look at the new Lightning that was in a dealerships showroom in Tillamook last month. It was stunning!

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP 8.9L 1.5kw roof Solar, 2@ Victron 50amp MPPT, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, Vmspec, 8.7kw Renogy LiFePo4, 19' GE RR, MS2812, 400w Suitcase & Victron 100/30 MPPT Max Transit Cellular Router, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi 6 AP's.
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:19 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What I find interesting is all automakers have to load their EV's to the hilt with every geegaw and blinkenlight to distract from the fact you have a limited payload, limited range, very expensive vehicle. My 25 year old pickup is a half ton and can go 400 miles on a tank. After that, the only difference between it and the denali EV is quarter mile time and hundred pounds of PITA electronics. Show me a truck with a cloth bench seat, rubber floor mats, crank windows and you have my attention, gas or EV. I drove an EV for 10 years and at the end of the day it was no more remarkable or economical than any other gas car I've owned. If an EV came along that solved a problem I had I'd be on board, but not until then.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
What I find interesting is all automakers have to load their EV's to the hilt with every geegaw and blinkenlight to distract from the fact you have a limited payload, limited range, very expensive vehicle. My 25 year old pickup is a half ton and can go 400 miles on a tank. After that, the only difference between it and the denali EV is quarter mile time and hundred pounds of PITA electronics. Show me a truck with a cloth bench seat, rubber floor mats, crank windows and you have my attention, gas or EV. I drove an EV for 10 years and at the end of the day it was no more remarkable or economical than any other gas car I've owned. If an EV came along that solved a problem I had I'd be on board, but not until then.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
An EV is pound for pound, exponentially cheaper on a daily basis to operate than a gas burner. Factoring in initial cost + electricty cost per kw. and there's an argument to be made. As for spending 100k for a truck, that's about as silly as the Suburbans with brush guards that have never left a paved road in the DFW.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Factoring in initial cost + electricty cost per kw. and there's an argument to be made.
I'm not sure what other way one would look at it. EV proponents often rationalize the higher up front cost with reduced operating cost but they rarely factor lost opportunity and other overhead and TCO. Not saying that for some it works out or it could be you just want an EV and that's fine, but they're not the universal solution they're being pushed as. Anymore EV or ICE vehicles seem to be nothing more than mobile multimedia/marketing conduits and transportation is secondary.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
An EV is pound for pound, exponentially cheaper on a daily basis to operate than a gas burner. Factoring in initial cost + electricty cost per kw. and there's an argument to be made. As for spending 100k for a truck, that's about as silly as the Suburbans with brush guards that have never left a paved road in the DFW.

You haven't priced out trucks lately. As for electrics being much more expensive you haven't checked out the bolt or leaf either. They cost about the same as any other car.
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP 8.9L 1.5kw roof Solar, 2@ Victron 50amp MPPT, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, Vmspec, 8.7kw Renogy LiFePo4, 19' GE RR, MS2812, 400w Suitcase & Victron 100/30 MPPT Max Transit Cellular Router, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi 6 AP's.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:41 AM   #13

Quote:
What I find interesting is all automakers have to load their EV's to the hilt with every geegaw and blinkenlight to distract from the fact you have a limited payload, limited range, very expensive vehicle. My 25 year old pickup is a half ton and can go 400 miles on a tank. After that, the only difference between it and the denali EV is quarter mile time and hundred pounds of PITA electronics. Show me a truck with a cloth bench seat, rubber floor mats, crank windows and you have my attention, gas or EV. I drove an EV for 10 years and at the end of the day it was no more remarkable or economical than any other gas car I've owned. If an EV came along that solved a problem I had I'd be on board, but not until then. Mark B. Albuquerque, NM

The base Silverado EV is MSRP $39,900 + the usual fees with 400 miles of range. The base Silverado ICE is MSRP $35,600 And the EV is a Crew Cab, the ICE model is not. So the extra $$ for all electric is $4,300. And would probably save you more than that the 1st year. Especially if you charged it during the power companies Super Off Peak Rate time Midnight - 5 AM -Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	silverado.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	380194  
Old 11-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #14

Quote:
I actually get a kick out of the number of soccer moms who traded their minivans for a jacked up 4 Door Jeep Wrangler that never leave a paved road and probably get parked on snow days in DFW area.

Quote:
I'm not sure what other way one would look at it. EV proponents often rationalize the higher up front cost with reduced operating cost but they rarely factor lost opportunity and other overhead and TCO. Not saying that for some it works out or it could be you just want an EV and that's fine, but they're not the universal solution they're being pushed as. Anymore EV or ICE vehicles seem to be nothing more than mobile multimedia/marketing conduits and transportation is secondary.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I think I could justify having one ICE and one EV in the driveway. (The EV probably gets to use the garage.) The problem is, the EV cannot replace all my needs today. I am thinking the EVs are getting close to a point where I could justify one to replace my wife's Nissan Rogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
The base Silverado EV is MSRP $39,900 + the usual fees with 400 miles of range. The base Silverado ICE is MSRP $35,600 And the EV is a Crew Cab, the ICE model is not. So the extra $$ for all electric is $4,300. And would probably save you more than that the 1st year. Especially if you charged it during the power companies Super Off Peak Rate time Midnight - 5 AM -Bill
I had not seen any Silverado EV pricing that low with the range. Even the new Blazer EV and Equinox EV rival that price point. If I didn't have range anxiety, primarily when towing, I could choose to replace my Silverado with an EV version and come out cheaper on the swap than swapping my wife's Nissan for an equivalent SUV.

Tags
electric