Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2021, 04:08 PM   #253

IMO these short range ones are half baked and too early. I think real E RV's will follow after the Tesla semi truck, it is supposed to have a range of 600 miles, but has been delayed multiple times as the new batteries that will allow that, are not ready yet.

The idea of a class A, with motors on the wheels, nearly silent, power to boondock for weeks (the limit will be the tanks, as it is now for high powered solar set ups) and nearly zero chassis maintenance. No more $3000 trips to Freightliner.

The truck stops will have chargers, among many other places and there will be no idling diesels (in theory)
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2021, 04:19 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Lee View Post
IMO these short range ones are half baked and too early. I think real E RV's will follow after the Tesla semi truck, it is supposed to have a range of 600 miles, but has been delayed multiple times as the new batteries that will allow that, are not ready yet.

The idea of a class A, with motors on the wheels, nearly silent, power to boondock for weeks (the limit will be the tanks, as it is now for high powered solar set ups) and nearly zero chassis maintenance. No more $3000 trips to Freightliner.

The truck stops will have chargers, among many other places and there will be no idling diesels (in theory)
That will be nice.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 06:49 AM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Lee View Post
I am certainly no expert concerning electric vehicles but what is going to happen if the batteries are still not ready by 2035 (2030 in Hawaii I believe)? Or if they are "ready" but not "ready" enough to provide for a truly decent day's driving distance, or a truly decent charging time? I expect that cars and small trucks will not be an issue, but what about large RVs, both C+ and As?

As I understand the California law the purchase of new ICE vehicles will be banned, but not the registration of existing ICE vehicles or the registration of ICE vehicles from out of state, so what is to prevent residents from buying in, say, Arizona and then registering them in California? Or just buying up their RVs and trucks in 2034? And if the batteries for the larger vehicles are not really ready and can not travel, say, 400 miles or recharge in a decently short time, will California really forgo all of the revenue from the sale of these vehicles? Or will they postpone the implementation of the law until the batteries are ready?

I don't know. I am just asking. I am not trying to start a heated discussion on this thread, but I am curious as to what people think would happen if stuff is just not ready.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 07:00 AM   #256

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did we forget what happened last WINTER??? After TX lost it's wind generators and about 23% of it's electric grid what happened. Rolling black outs and some lives lost due to freezing homes. What's going to happen every evening when all the electric cars plug in to charge the battery's for tomorrow's drive to work. More rolling black outs??

Develop the tecchnology before trying to manufacturer and sell the vehicles that can't meet the needs of the people. Another example of putting the cart before the horse. I don't know of any horse that has learned to push instead of pull!!
Old 03-30-2021, 07:11 AM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I am certainly no expert concerning electric vehicles but what is going to happen if the batteries are still not ready by 2035 (2030 in Hawaii I believe)? Or if they are "ready" but not "ready" enough to provide for a truly decent day's driving distance, or a truly decent charging time? I expect that cars and small trucks will not be an issue, but what about large RVs, both C+ and As?

As I understand the California law the purchase of new ICE vehicles will be banned, but not the registration of existing ICE vehicles or the registration of ICE vehicles from out of state, so what is to prevent residents from buying in, say, Arizona and then registering them in California? Or just buying up their RVs and trucks in 2034? And if the batteries for the larger vehicles are not really ready and can not travel, say, 400 miles or recharge in a decently short time, will California really forgo all of the revenue from the sale of these vehicles? Or will they postpone the implementation of the law until the batteries are ready?

I don't know. I am just asking. I am not trying to start a heated discussion on this thread, but I am curious as to what people think would happen if stuff is just not ready.
Does California’s law apply to heavy vehicles or just cars and light trucks. I know here in BC it’s just cars and light trucks, do 500 to 600 km ranges are already available now.

Technology is changing fast. Within 10 or 15 years you won’t need a law to get people to change to a new fuel. In 10 or 15 years nobody is going to want to buy a clunky, slow, inconveniente, stinky, noisy car or light truck that you have to take to a gas station to fill up. Ugh.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:32 AM   #258

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Did we forget what happened last WINTER??? After TX lost it's wind generators and about 23% of it's electric grid what happened. Rolling black outs and some lives lost due to freezing homes. What's going to happen every evening when all the electric cars plug in to charge the battery's for tomorrow's drive to work. More rolling black outs??

Develop the tecchnology before trying to manufacturer and sell the vehicles that can't meet the needs of the people. Another example of putting the cart before the horse. I don't know of any horse that has learned to push instead of pull!!
I suspect you are right. I understand how people that have and can afford new EV's are all for the switch. But things will change as the deadline gets closer.

Here in BC, all you have to do is look around and see how many people are driving pickups. They are by far the majority, and will resist any change. EV's are fine for commuting and city life, and will remain that way for a long time. I live in the interior, so it's much different than the lower mainland.

JMHO.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 09:37 AM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
I suspect you are right. I understand how people that have and can afford new EV's are all for the switch. But things will change as the deadline gets closer.

Here in BC, all you have to do is look around and see how many people are driving pickups. They are by far the majority, and will resist any change. EV's are fine for commuting and city life, and will remain that way for a long time. I live in the interior, so it's much different than the lower mainland.

JMHO.
I don’t think pickups will be a problem within the next 5 years. Just a matter of bringing the production lines on line.

EV’s are far beyond just commuting and city vehicles already. Going back and fourth between the interior and Vancouver is easy for us.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:43 AM   #260

I don't think a BEV is a good solution for commuting. Why carry around an expensive, heavy, environmentally unfriendly battery just to drive a few miles to work? A PHEV would make a lot more sense. A BEV might be useful for a city delivery vehicle that travels a hundred miles or so per day and returns back to the warehouse where it can be charged overnight.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 09:50 AM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I don't think a BEV is a good solution for commuting. Why carry around an expensive, heavy, environmentally unfriendly battery just to drive a few miles to work? A PHEV would make a lot more sense. A BEV might be useful for a city delivery vehicle that travels a hundred miles or so per day and returns back to the warehouse where it can be charged overnight.
I have no problem with PHEV’s. They serve some people very well. They wouldn’t work for us but there are many different driving needs.

That Toyota RAV 4 PHEV is a nice little buggy.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:25 AM   #262

I quite agree with RV Lee.

For one thing, they need to use tab-less battery cells with the new electrodes. These can be charged far more quickly and constructed far more quickly (lowers the cost dramatically).

There are those incinerating replacements for black and grey tanks, too.

Can you imagine actually sleeping in a quiet truck stop?

But wait - there's more! Nissan Leafs and Tesla Models S and 3 have heat exchangers which are very sophisticated and small and light. Musk has talked about a model for refitting stick and bricks homes. So, there's that
MBrant is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 10:31 AM   #263

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Just don’t buy one of Enron Musk’s vehicles if you’re in Southern California. He charging twice for each car and dragging his feet on the refunds. Nice way to treat your customers.

Here’s the link for those that wonder why: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/29/tesl...-new-cars.html
Old 03-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #264

I agree on the Rav4 Prime. It is one of the most technologically advanced vehicles on the market. The efficiency of the gas-electric drive train rivals that of a natural gas fired power plant after line losses. The battery is only about 20% as large as a Model 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I have no problem with PHEV’s. They serve some people very well. They wouldn’t work for us but there are many different driving needs.

That Toyota RAV 4 PHEV is a nice little buggy.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:31 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I agree on the Rav4 Prime. It is one of the most technologically advanced vehicles on the market. The efficiency of the gas-electric drive train rivals that of a natural gas fired power plant after line losses. The battery is only about 20% as large as a Model 3.
Too bad it's ugly as sin.
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 11:39 AM   #266

Gotta agree with that. But is it worse than a Cybertruck?

Tags
electric