Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:59 AM   #281

Diesel electric hybrid technology is well proven. It has been used for decades in locomotives and other applications where high torque at low RPM is required. Now we have gasoline hybrids that use atkinson engines. These engines rival the efficiency of a diesel. They have very low torque and provide power over a narrow RPM range, but when used to charge a battery that drives high torque traction motors at the wheels it makes for a very efficient combination. The good thing about this arrangement is that you don't need to carry around a massive, expensive and environmentally unfriendly battery. A small battery will do, and this gets you the best of both the ICE and BEV worlds - lower cost, extended range and high torque performance. And if you add a charge plug to the battery you have a choice of whichever energy supply you want to use, gasoline or electric.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 06:54 AM   #282

And where would this leave us ďtoadĒ towing people? These EVís are way too heavy to be a toad, and I donít think Iíve seen any all electrics that could be towable, only a few of the Ford hybrids can be a toad! And Iím sure ďhybridĒ will be another ďdirtyĒ word! (Pun intended)

Enlighten me someone?!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2021, 07:24 AM   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
And where would this leave us ďtoadĒ towing people? These EVís are way too heavy to be a toad, and I donít think Iíve seen any all electrics that could be towable, only a few of the Ford hybrids can be a toad! And Iím sure ďhybridĒ will be another ďdirtyĒ word! (Pun intended)

Enlighten me someone?!
I hear ya. But Iím not too sure about ďway to heavyĒ. Typical new EVís are 1600 to 1900 kg. A little heavier than their gasser counterparts but not crazy heavy.

The problem is the software and hardware of most EVís donít allow them to be towed four down. The only one that can is the Rivian truck or SUV and they are around 2600 kg.

If there is a need someone will step up to the plate. And in a pinch you can dolly a Leaf.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I hear ya. But Iím not too sure about ďway to heavyĒ. Typical new EVís are 1600 to 1900 kg. A little heavier than their gasser counterparts but not crazy heavy.

The problem is the software and hardware of most EVís donít allow them to be towed four down. The only one that can is the Rivian truck or SUV and they are around 2600 kg.

If there is a need someone will step up to the plate. And in a pinch you can dolly a Leaf.
I tell you ďFlat-outĒ, Iíll never dolly tow again!
Old 04-02-2021, 07:29 AM   #285

Ford Super Duty Owner
radar,

I believe similar arguments arose back when the car replaced the horse and buggy. They were loud, smelly, ugly and just not worth it!! Well all the world adjusted and the horse became something a few ride or jump hurdles on weekends. Or you bet on them at the race track.

The biggest issues we are going to have is fairly simple to see. Which technology will work the best for all? We really don't know beause some of those choices are being pushed for reasons other than which is the best choice.

Why push for electric vehicles when their carbon foot print is not much better than a gasoline engine??? Ask most anybody who owns one of them and they will tell you, "I want to do my part to save the environment." Answer please!!!

We won't see to many alternate engines because it would require way to much research and refinement to make them viable. Those in charge ( the deep pockets in the world) will see the choices made will keep the $$$$$$ flowing into their accounts. You can bet the bank on the deep pockets not loosing any $$$ when the choices are made. Alternate power sources won't be refined or improved if the big $$$$$ playes don't get their share of the profits.

Making decisions based on the good of the people is fast loosing what little ground it had gained.

I believe the recent infrastructure bill of X number of bucks being discussed/introduced has nothing in it for roads and bridges. If it's not roads and bridges what then is considered infrastructure???? Would that be new commuter trains and bus lines all of which burn fossile fuels. Or maybe a bail out for the airlines. More $$$ for wind generators.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:35 AM   #286

Quote:
I tell you ďFlat-outĒ, Iíll never dolly tow again!
I hear ya. We are on with a dolly but prefer towing a car on a trailer or 4 down. Itís vowning down to timing now. We are considering either

- Towing a leaf on a dolly
- Putting the Tesla on a car hauler
- Downsizing to a 19 foot trailer behind an SUV.

Right now choice three is in the lead as there are a ton of places we havenít been able to get the pusher into. Decisions decisions. .
Old 04-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #287

The problem with EV technology is that it is not developing naturally in response to any need. It is being forced upon us under the guise of saving us from the unproven threat of global warming. The theory of AGW is on very skaky ground. None of its predictions have come true and scientists are doubting its validity. What happens to the EV industry when the theory totally collapses? Will anybody pay the premium for an EV? I don't think so.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I believe similar arguments arose back when the car replaced the horse and buggy. They were loud, smelly, ugly and just not worth it!!
I don't mean to be pedantic, but that certainly was not an argument made in large cities. The introduction of the internal combustion engine resulted in an enormous improvement in air quality. Horses left droppings which became airborne and were dangerous to health. Horses were dangerous themselves, biting those not careful, stepping on the feet of others but mostly just fouling the air with their excrement.

Quote:
Why push for electric vehicles when their carbon foot print is not much better than a gasoline engine??? Ask most anybody who owns one of them and they will tell you, "I want to do my part to save the environment." Answer please!!!
Yes. But those who are dedicated to "a cause" rarely respond with reason when questioned. They are "true believers" and nothing will shake their conviction unless it is proven to them beyond all doubt that they are wrong, and done so by people who are, or were, also "true believers".

Quote:
Making decisions based on the good of the people is fast loosing what little ground it had gained.
Exactly what constitutes "the good of the people"? The problem is that what is good for one section of the population is often not good for another, and who determines which "good of the people" ends up being the right choice?

Different people can both believe that their ideas are for the best even if their ideas are diametrically opposed, and so whoever has the power ends up making the decision. It generally takes 20 or 30 years to determine if that was the right way or not, and then it is generally too late in any case.

Some will always be "true believers", regardless of evidence, and that is just the way it is. People believe what they wish, regardless of any facts that are explained to them.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #289

Quote:

Enlighten me someone?!

It will innovate in time, won't look like anything today. The coach builder may just purchase the chassis or as they call it "the skateboard" and build the house on top of it or they'll build the chassis themselves.

You have to also keep in mind, these things will be fully autonomous one day too, you may set the GPS and go back to bed! They wont be leaving an industry like that up to Winnebago and Thor, it'll be completely re-done at that level with all kinds of new start ups.

I expect LOTS of innovation in this industry over the next 10 and 20 years and the amount of full timers to expand BIG TIME.
RV_Lee is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Lee View Post
It will innovate in time, won't look like anything today. The coach builder may just purchase the chassis or as they call it "the skateboard" and build the house on top of it or they'll build the chassis themselves.

You have to also keep in mind, these things will be fully autonomous one day too, you may set the GPS and go back to bed! They wont be leaving an industry like that up to Winnebago and Thor, it'll be completely re-done at that level with all kinds of new start ups.

I expect LOTS of innovation in this industry over the next 10 and 20 years and the amount of full timers to expand BIG TIME.
I would think that within a decade or two itís just a natter of telling your toad to meet you at your destination. .
Old 04-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #291

Ford Super Duty Owner
AJMike,

Thanks for your thoughtful remarks. There's no right or wrong answer just answers.

"What is for the good of the people? " For the US it's choices based on the constitution, Bill of rights. Our right to free speach. [Mod Edit] There's no battery yet being made that will do the job.

At 77 I'm not sure how much longer we can RV. The years dictate I'll probably not be driving when I'm in my mid 80's. That remains to be seen. This is our last RV for sure. It's a gaser so that's fixed. So far we can afford it but I'm sure that will be fixed in due time. [Mod Edit]

We are all in so much better control as a result of the [Mod Edit] virus. [Mod Edit]
Common sense is already in short supply!! Big Tech is still controlling free speach with apparently few folks being to upset about it.

We already know the oil industry does what it pleases with little regard for the people. In fact one of the only times that didn't happen was when the FEDS told DETROIT (about mid 70's) they would produce a more fuel efficient vehicle with lower emissions. We the consumer paid the price as the technology was introduced and changed if it didn't work. Computer controlled carburetors were first. Then TBI's and finally DFI fuel injection right before the combustion chamber. The EGR valve and catalytic converters became standard along with TPS, PCV valve, and a host of other sensors which do work to control the emissions and give us much better mileage and cleaner emissions.

One of the only time the FEDS did something correct. Detroit would have never done what they did if not forced. Of course high fuel costs helped a bunch as well. Europe and Japan was way ahead of Detroit since fule always did cost at least 3 times the cost of our gas.

There are no good answers. [Mod Edit]
Old 04-08-2021, 06:52 AM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I would think that within a decade or two itís just a natter of telling your toad to meet you at your destination. .
Lol! That would be great! And Iíll be laying in the back of my RV while itís autonomously driving to our destination, while my wife Jane pushes a button in the kitchen to make me an automated healthy meal, and our son Elroy will be playing video games with neuron connections to his brain, while our dog Astro just sleeps on the floor! Oh and Iíll probably be retired from Spacely's Space Sprockets by then! And if you must know, Judy doesnít camp, so Rosie stayed home to look after her!
Old 04-08-2021, 07:46 AM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Just a silly observation here. If oil, gas and coal fired power plants are on the inevitable chopping block, what is going to charge all the electric vehicles that will replace the ones that have internal combustion engines? But then again, tires are made from fossil fuels too so never mind!
Oh my. You should investigate a little more. The new concept for the all electric RV is a flip up windmill on the roof. When you park it flips up, generates electricity that recharges the drive batteries and then folds down when you drive. The distance you can drive is dependent on your location. 1 Day in Wyoming can give you 3-400 miles. One day in rural Ohio, les than 75.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2021, 07:52 AM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Oh my. You should investigate a little more. The new concept for the all electric RV is a flip up windmill on the roof. When you park it flips up, generates electricity that recharges the drive batteries and then folds down when you drive. The distance you can drive is dependent on your location. 1 Day in Wyoming can give you 3-400 miles. One day in rural Ohio, les than 75.
Lol.

Tags
electric