Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2021, 12:15 PM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
EV are, and have been hitting pedestrians all over the world since the rid introduction on to roadways. Have you ever been walking in a campground and a Prius sneaks up behind you!, I have!

Here is a good story on how they are making EV’s not so silent!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...nhtsa.amp.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/24/b...ses-nhtsa.html
Both of those links seem to take you to the exact same story.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2021, 02:33 PM   #310

This has been in place for awhile. The sound ceases at a certain speed (24 kmh???). It is inaudible inside but sounds like shhhhhh sound outside. Different sound for reverse. Different manufacturers have different sounds.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 06:52 AM   #311

Who pays for the electricity?

Quote:
This is a paragraph from a news piece I came across!

The Lordstown Motors Electric Van is in development with plans to be unveiled in June and production starting in the second half of 2022. Based on the Endurance platform, the van will utilize hub motors to achieve all-wheel drive and low ground clearance, and have a class-leading range. An initial use case of the van will be as the world’s first production all-electric RV, produced in partnership with Camping World. The van will be priced competitively with comparable internal combustion-based vans.

Let’s hope camping world doesn’t mess this up!

You can be sure that when you pull an electric RV into a RV park for the night, your site will have its own electric meter.
Mikesrq is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 08:34 AM   #312

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesrq View Post
You can be sure that when you pull an electric RV into a RV park for the night, your site will have its own electric meter.
One of the concerns will be if the RV park will be willing to invest the capital to provide the wiring upgrade. Some parks with 50 amp service will try to limit the number of air conditioners you are able to run.

An older park we stay at has aluminum wiring and in the rules is a max of two air conditioners running at one time (we are metered). Other parks I am aware of restrict the use of dryers (also metered).

I know a fellow who is building a new park. One of the concerns past the expense of installing a service that will be needed in the future is getting a supply large enough.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #313

Quote:
EV are, and have been hitting pedestrians all over the world since the rid introduction on to roadways. Have you ever been walking in a campground and a Prius sneaks up behind you!, I have!

Here is a good story on how they are making EV’s not so silent!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...nhtsa.amp.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/24/b...ses-nhtsa.html
We were talking about highway noise.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:46 AM   #314

Most won't beleive it's happening until they get run over by that silent BEV

https://www.marketwatch.com/articles/watch-these-stocks-as-zero-emissions-vehicles-bring-disruption-to-the-trucking-market-51616176662
catchusifu is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2021, 07:48 AM   #315

Does even Mercedes not know what it's doing?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wa...?siteid=yhoof2
Old 04-13-2021, 07:59 AM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Recently there was a lady killed by a Tesla on the interstate near or in Phoenix. News was reporting the Tesla was in self driving mode and how effective self driving cars could be.

Any thoughts of a quiet car contributing to the accident?
Just a guess but that was probably that UBER self driving incident which wasn’t a Tesla. Tesla presently doesn’t have any thing past level 2 self driving assist which means the driver must be in full control all the time.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:24 AM   #317

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Just a guess but that was probably that UBER self driving incident which wasn’t a Tesla. Tesla presently doesn’t have any thing past level 2 self driving assist which means the driver must be in full control all the time.
Checked the web. You are correct so I deleted my post.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #318

478 mile range and we're just at the beginning

Old 04-17-2021, 10:47 PM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchusifu View Post
Awesome! Has a Maybach look to it, properly a Maybach price tag too if it ever goes into production!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2021, 08:51 AM   #320

Ford Super Duty Owner
EV's

Dont get me wrong there is a place for EV's and yes it is a coming thing. Just visited with a friend Friday night. He has an all electric vehicle but does understand this very important point. Over the lifetime of his EV The carbon foot print will not be much different if he had bought a regular gas vehicle. He understands he can only go so far without being recharged. He likes most things about it and he also has a gas SUV setting in his garage for longer trips. He did no know he would be charged (AR) over $200 for his annual license because he's not paying any road taxes

He did not buy it based on saving the environment. The problem is most people are using that reason to do so. They don't understand things like carbon foot prints. How energy is produced and then used to charge their EV. The high cost of a new battery and all that's involved when that battery is recycled.

I'm a big beliver in carpooling. I always hated seeing one individual in each vehicle as I was going to and from work. That's a perfect place for EV's once the carbon foot print and battery technology improves.

What's the answer to our current usage of semi tractor trailers loaded to 80,000 or maybe it's 90,000 lbs of cargo delivering probably 90% percent of all our goods??? The TT industry already controls the cost of diesel fuel.

Diesel fuel is much, much cheaper to make than gasoline yet it is more costly than gasoline. WHY?? The TT industry can pass the cost off to the consumer. Remember a few years back diesel was way cheaper than gasoline. We still had some independent truckers then. Now we don't. Most belong to a company.

Gasoline comes off the top of the fracking tower. Diesel comes off close to the bottom hence the shorter time in the F tower and therefore cheaper. That's 60 cents a gallon versus 10 cents a gallon for diesel. I don't see anything on the horizion to replace the semi tractor. That's just way to much weight to transport.

The TT industry burns a great amount of oil which is then not available to make gasoline. Oil is not a infinite source of energy. Not sure if or how that might affect costs, supply or demand. We do know the oil industry is a very integral aspect of our economy. We can't shift to fast towards EV's due to the effect on fuel demands. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for gasoline. I've got relatives in Houston and good or bad when fuel prices drop their oil industry also drops. Folks get laid off. Businesses close. When gas prices rise they ramp up again.

It's very difficult to predict correctly how new technology will eventually affect other industries. It happened when the airplane industry grew as a new form of mass transportation. Then business folks came to depend on it. Then the corporate & private jet industry grew.

I'd rather see the EV industry work on entry level back & forth to work EV. Consider how many people make that daily trip. Consider the fuel savings on gasoline. That fact alone should be considered.

Once we have more efficient larger vehicles imagine an all EV transit bus system. There could be vans gathering folks from the suburbs taking them to another stop and getting on a larger transit bus. How about an EV taxi service?? Or an EV uber service? Companies can set these things up much easier than the individual.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Dont get me wrong there is a place for EV's and yes it is a coming thing. Just visited with a friend Friday night. He has an all electric vehicle but does understand this very important point. Over the lifetime of his EV The carbon foot print will not be much different if he had bought a regular gas vehicle. He understands he can only go so far without being recharged. He likes most things about it and he also has a gas SUV setting in his garage for longer trips. He did no know he would be charged (AR) over $200 for his annual license because he's not paying any road taxes

He did not buy it based on saving the environment. The problem is most people are using that reason to do so. They don't understand things like carbon foot prints. How energy is produced and then used to charge their EV. The high cost of a new battery and all that's involved when that battery is recycled.

I'm a big beliver in carpooling. I always hated seeing one individual in each vehicle as I was going to and from work. That's a perfect place for EV's once the carbon foot print and battery technology improves.

What's the answer to our current usage of semi tractor trailers loaded to 80,000 or maybe it's 90,000 lbs of cargo delivering probably 90% percent of all our goods??? The TT industry already controls the cost of diesel fuel.

Diesel fuel is much, much cheaper to make than gasoline yet it is more costly than gasoline. WHY?? The TT industry can pass the cost off to the consumer. Remember a few years back diesel was way cheaper than gasoline. We still had some independent truckers then. Now we don't. Most belong to a company.

Gasoline comes off the top of the fracking tower. Diesel comes off close to the bottom hence the shorter time in the F tower and therefore cheaper. That's 60 cents a gallon versus 10 cents a gallon for diesel. I don't see anything on the horizion to replace the semi tractor. That's just way to much weight to transport.

The TT industry burns a great amount of oil which is then not available to make gasoline. Oil is not a infinite source of energy. Not sure if or how that might affect costs, supply or demand. We do know the oil industry is a very integral aspect of our economy. We can't shift to fast towards EV's due to the effect on fuel demands. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for gasoline. I've got relatives in Houston and good or bad when fuel prices drop their oil industry also drops. Folks get laid off. Businesses close. When gas prices rise they ramp up again.

It's very difficult to predict correctly how new technology will eventually affect other industries. It happened when the airplane industry grew as a new form of mass transportation. Then business folks came to depend on it. Then the corporate & private jet industry grew.

I'd rather see the EV industry work on entry level back & forth to work EV. Consider how many people make that daily trip. Consider the fuel savings on gasoline. That fact alone should be considered.

Once we have more efficient larger vehicles imagine an all EV transit bus system. There could be vans gathering folks from the suburbs taking them to another stop and getting on a larger transit bus. How about an EV taxi service?? Or an EV uber service? Companies can set these things up much easier than the individual.

Interesting points in your post. I would counter one though, we have been an EV only household (not including the diesel pusher) for over 6 years and have watched the sales growth. We also chose EV as it is just a better way to go for us in every regard. But I would disagree with you statement that people buy EV’s for some environmental reason. At least here, that is rarely if ever the primary reason to buy an EV. Can’t speak for other areas. Here people buy them for reasons like performance, convenience, tech, driving dynamic etc. It usually starts with a test drive of a neighbours EV and the next time they change our cars it’s an EV. We literally see this happening in our neighbourhood

There are a number of Taxi companies in this region with EV only fleets so that is happening.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:38 AM   #322

Ford Super Duty Owner
EV's

radar,

Thanks for the comments. These decisions should not be based on just one reason. It should be all about " An informed decision". Gather as much honest information as is necessary to make your choice. Getting the information is ot always easy if one thinks outside the box. I doubt any car salesman gets this question. "How does the EV carbon foot print compare to a gasoline engine of comporable size, quality etc ?" The salesperson may know how much it costs to charge the battery. They will/should know the expected distance traveled with and without heaters or AC.

Most will discuss how quiet it is and the quick acceleration. There's no oil changes or air filter to be changed. There's fewer other service concerns as well and expected battery life is good. The battery may need serviced but on that I don't really know. It's not a wet cell so no water needed. Maybe corrosion will happen. He also told me it costs about $2.50 to charge the battery.

My friend told me the battery is quaranteed to last 100,000 miles. He didn't know the cost of a new one. You can bet most will replace the EV when they hit the 100,000 mile mark and the new owner will bear the cost of a battery.

We know the ad/sales folks are not always honest in their information and will often say or do what is needed to sway buyers as they have for decades. That assures they are reaching the green folks as well.

Tags
electric