Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2021, 08:00 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Yeah, but ...

Here is the quote about the range figure in the article, and they are going to have to do better than that before this becomes useful for the general RV community.

85-125 miles is the range of The Winnebago Electric RV .

I am sure that will increase, but what is going to happen to that range if the RV is pulling a toad? Or in the mountains? Or facing a stiff head wind? I think most users will need to go more than 125 miles (presumably to dead empty batteries) when traveling.
Scrape the roof then all solar. The toad will be supplying enough tandem power to add no load to rv. Lots of neat engineering opportunities.
147TL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #100

Newmar Owners Club
Let’s see, 44,000 lbs................. going 70 mph, traveling 350 miles on average a day......wont happen in my lifetime, and I’m 60...hoping i live a few more years.
Schask is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 08:35 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schask View Post
Let’s see, 44,000 lbs................. going 70 mph, traveling 350 miles on average a day......wont happen in my lifetime, and I’m 60...hoping i live a few more years.
I don’t know. The companies building electric semis are targeting 80,000 pounds and 500 miles range by 2022. Guess we’ll have to see.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 09:13 AM   #102
Eug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLDieter View Post
Winnebago has said they don't consider it suitable for an RV yet. They don't use lithium batteries, for one thing. There are numerous other companies coming out with electric RVs and pickups right now that offer a 250-500 mile range, depending on the brand. If you used a Tesla Cybertruck to pull a fifth wheel or travel trailer, you could count on at least 250 miles on a charge, even with a load, and FREE charging from Tesla. I'll grant that at my age, I rarely drive more than 200 miles a day, so it would be perfect for me. There's no reason to have to camp directly under the solar farms - they are already designed to feed the regular grid, as are most wind farms. It's not a pipe dream because it already exists.
What's your generator going to run on air?
Eug is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #103

Not quite an electric RV but the technology could be used. Different and larger charging than other types eg. Tesla, but regardless....

https://www.newflyer.com/bus/xcelsior-charge/
Komondor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komondor View Post
Not quite an electric RV but the technology could be used. Different and larger charging than other types eg. Tesla, but regardless....

https://www.newflyer.com/bus/xcelsior-charge/
That’s a CCS combo J1772 plug. Essentially what is on every EV except Tesla’s and Japanese EV’s.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #105

Smile Here is what is really coming

Think Fuel Cells for the next real change. Actually not so new-hundreds of buses in China and Europe are powered by Hydrogen fuel cells. Ballard Power in Canada is one of the leaders. Powering 75 passenger buses now and will demonstrate a fuel cell powered passenger train in Wales this coming November. Also involved in the development of a hydrogen fuel cell powered ship which carries liquid hydrogen for delivery. Check it out! Hydrogen is very expensive now but the plan is to have delivery stations which will use all that cheap excess electricity to make hydrogen. Zero pollution!
bigjohnsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 11:08 AM   #106

Newmar Owners Club
Many current Class A diesel pusher motorhomes are constructed on a Freightliner Custom Chassis while Super Class C's are based on the Freightliner Cascadia Chassis. I'm guessing within a decade that an RV manufacturer starts marketing an fully electric Super Class C using Freightliner's new, fully electric "eCasdadia" heavy duty truck --> https://freightliner.com/trucks/ecas...pecifications/

The eCascadia currently has a driving range of 250 miles with batteries that can be 80% recharged in 90 minutes. It's not a stretch of the imagination that Renegade or other manufaturers may begin offering a Super C as a "fully electric vehicle" using Freightliner's eCascadia chassis especially if the driving range can be increased.

"EV" trucks and RVs won't gain high use until the Love's and Flying J's provide many charging stations and driving range is greatly increased.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Many current Class A diesel pusher motorhomes are constructed on a Freightliner Custom Chassis and Super Class C's are based on the Freightliner Cascadia Chassis.

Freightliner has introduced the "eCascadia" truck to the heavy duty truck market --> https://freightliner.com/trucks/ecas...pecifications/

The eCascadia currently has a driving range of 250 miles with batteries that can be 80% recharged in 90 minutes. It's not a stretch of the imagination that sometime during the next 5-10 years that a motorhome manufacturer such as Renegade may begin offering their Super C's as "electric vehicles" using Freightliners eCascadia chassis.

"EV" trucks and RVs won't gain high use until the Love's and Flying J's provide many charging stations.....
Interesting info. Thanks. Totally agree with last statement.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:15 PM   #108

I suspect the gubment will have GPS sourced meters in your electric buggy which will record the mileage you drive and then you'll be charged accordingly. That will take the place of fossil fuel taxes.
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 05:14 PM   #109

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
What's your generator going to run on air?
The batteries will replace the generator, until they are dead.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #110

Electric RV/Hybrid RV

I would like to see a small step first, maybe a hybrid rv. I would like to see an rv with auxiliary electric motors on the front wheels first.

1. Rv’s can almost always use a larger battery capacity.

2. Smaller more fuel efficient petrol engines can be used increasing fuel mileage.

3. Electric motors can be used to assist on uphill grades, freeway ramps (my pet peeve), and quietly moving around the campground.

4. If it could be done economically I think a upgrade kit would be a great investment.

RV safe
Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 05:44 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLDieter View Post
One cross-country flight generates more carbon than all motor vehicles do in a week.
Where did you read this?
Old 02-08-2021, 07:23 PM   #112

Here is a Prager video that lays out the truth about electric vehicles. If you dont want to open your eyes to the negative aspects of electric vehicles this video is not for you.
https://www.prageru.com/video/whats-...ind-and-solar/
Tucsonmike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
electric