Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2021, 02:12 AM   #1

The worlds first Electric RV is coming!

This is a paragraph from a news piece I came across!

The Lordstown Motors Electric Van is in development with plans to be unveiled in June and production starting in the second half of 2022. Based on the Endurance platform, the van will utilize hub motors to achieve all-wheel drive and low ground clearance, and have a class-leading range. An initial use case of the van will be as the world’s first production all-electric RV, produced in partnership with Camping World. The van will be priced competitively with comparable internal combustion-based vans.

Let’s hope camping world doesn’t mess this up!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2021, 08:11 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Looking down the road, I'm looking for the conversion kit to replace my gas engine with electric motors and batteries for my old class A.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2021, 08:41 AM   #3

Just a silly observation here. If oil, gas and coal fired power plants are on the inevitable chopping block, what is going to charge all the electric vehicles that will replace the ones that have internal combustion engines? But then again, tires are made from fossil fuels too so never mind!
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2021, 08:54 AM   #4

There are other threads on this. But my .02 anyway.
Low ground clearance? Not for me.
Camping World sole distributor? Not for me.

Electric conversion in the not-so-distant future? sounds appealing.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsBrewster View Post
There are other threads on this. But my .02 anyway.
Low ground clearance? Not for me.
Camping World sole distributor? Not for me.

Electric conversion in the not-so-distant future? sounds appealing.
X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Just a silly observation here. If oil, gas and coal fired power plants are on the inevitable chopping block, what is going to charge all the electric vehicles that will replace the ones that have internal combustion engines? But then again, tires are made from fossil fuels too so never mind!
Usual response from this is that it is easy to charge up EVs during evenings, where there is a tremendous excess of electicity. Charging in the non peak times will place no load on the grid. People are also doing this with home/commercial batteries. They charge them up when electricity is cheap and abundant, then draw off them when it is expensive and in critical short supply.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2021, 02:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Hardly the first - Winnebago has already produced some for commercial use, starting in 2018.

https://drivinvibin.com/2020/07/31/all-electric-rv/
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclepaul View Post
Usual response from this is that it is easy to charge up EVs during evenings, where there is a tremendous excess of electicity. Charging in the non peak times will place no load on the grid. People are also doing this with home/commercial batteries. They charge them up when electricity is cheap and abundant, then draw off them when it is expensive and in critical short supply.
What energy source will produce this electricity at night after the wind dies down and the sun sets?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #9

Gm announced they will be all electric by 2035. https://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...gines-n1256055
The headlines didn't say where the power to recharge the batts will come from.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2021, 07:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Hardly the first - Winnebago has already produced some for commercial use, starting in 2018.

https://drivinvibin.com/2020/07/31/all-electric-rv/
Yeah, but ...

Here is the quote about the range figure in the article, and they are going to have to do better than that before this becomes useful for the general RV community.

85-125 miles is the range of The Winnebago Electric RV .

I am sure that will increase, but what is going to happen to that range if the RV is pulling a toad? Or in the mountains? Or facing a stiff head wind? I think most users will need to go more than 125 miles (presumably to dead empty batteries) when traveling.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2021, 07:40 AM   #11

I can see it being viable in limited situations, but when we're traveling we routinely go 400 miles a day and fill up once. We have done 500+ in a day when we're headed for home and really want to be there

A lot of folks on here, though, talk about very limited daily mileage. If it's feasible to charge at the park pedestal while doing the other things necessary to stay in the RV, maybe it'd work.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:02 AM   #12

Cost per mile

What I find humorous is anyone thinking this will be cheaper to operate than gas or Diesel rigs. Does anyone really believe that when electrical vehicles are the norm Uncle Sam won’t tax per mile and state mandated tax per mile as well. This will all be tracked via gps of some sort . Don’t think for a minute it will be based on the same tax rate you presently pay on fuel at the pump.
Josephls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2021, 12:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Joe, you’re absolutely correct. Here’s another thing: they say how much simpler electric cars are than ICE ones. However, they are much heavier and much more expensive. I was looking at a Tesla 3. 700 pounds heavier and $12,000 more expensive than a (larger) Honda Accord. The build quality of the Honda was also light years ahead of the random panel gaps on the 3. I can buy a lot of gas for $12,000. And as my last Honda lasted 310,000 miles, I am confident this one will too.

Electric cars might make a sizable portion of the market, but that’s at least 20 years off. Remember, the AVERAGE age of a car on our highways is 12 years old.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:24 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Remember, the AVERAGE age of a car on our highways is 12 years old.
And these days a 12 year old car (2008 vintage?) isn't too shabby on fuel economy or emissions. Even back then CAFE mpg for cars was 27.5 and 22.5 for light trucks, so we aren't talking gas hogs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
electric