Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Driving a BEV is nothing like driving a hybrid. I have nothing against hybrids but generally it’s like driving a beat up old wet dog compared to the performance, driving experience and convenience of a BEV.

Jmho.
A PHEV is an EV. You can drive it in full EV mode if you want to. It just has a limited EV range.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 10:10 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
A PHEV is an EV. You can drive it in full EV mode if you want to. It just has a limited EV range.
Nope. Take a Prius for a drive. Then take a Tesla for a drive. Driving a PHEV is NOTHING like driving a BEV. Not even close.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #101

So the Tesla has bigger motors. Why do I want to have bigger motors? If I wanted a bigger motor I'd get a Bugatti.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:48 AM   #102

Quote:
So the Tesla has bigger motors. Why do I want to have bigger motors? If I wanted a bigger motor I'd get a Bugatti.
Nope. Again, nothing against hybrids, but vehicles with transmissions and shifting gears and torque converters have a completely different driving experience than BEV’s. If one is fine with that that great. But much of the current BEV market is the the performance crowd.

Not sure how the 2 million dollar Bugatti fits into the conversation.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #103

Quote:
Nope. Again, nothing against hybrids, but vehicles with transmissions and shifting gears and torque converters have a completely different driving experience than BEV’s. If one is fine with that that great. But much of the current BEV market is the the performance crowd.

Not sure how the 2 million dollar Bugatti fits into the conversation.
Look into a series hybrid. They are full electric drive. The only difference from a BEV is that it has an ICE generator to charge the battery. A series hybrid can give you the same feel as a BEV. I don't look at it as the best solution though, as an electric drive train is not as efficient than a mechanical drive.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:43 AM   #104

Quote:
Look into a series hybrid. They are full electric drive. The only difference from a BEV is that it has an ICE generator to charge the battery. A series hybrid can give you the same feel as a BEV. I don't look at it as the best solution though, as an electric drive train is not as efficient than a mechanical drive.
The original volt was like that. Nice little car. Not sure why Chevy quit building them. I’m not sure what other PHEV’s use series hybrid technology as I am not up on it. I know the Prius or Camry or RAV4 doesn’t. Neighbour has a RAV. Nice little car, but it’s a dog.

Jmho.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #105

Quote:
The original volt was like that. Nice little car. Not sure why Chevy quit building them. I’m not sure what other PHEV’s use series hybrid technology as I am not up on it. I know the Prius or Camry or RAV4 doesn’t. Neighbour has a RAV. Nice little car, but it’s a dog.

Jmho.
The RAV uses series hybrid for the rear wheels, but the front axle is parallel electro mechanical hybrid. It is mainly a FWD with the rear wheels only used for traction and power boost as required. I'm sure it's a dog, but it's super efficient.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:58 AM   #106

Quote:
Even the original volt was found to connect engine to wheels on the highway. At constant speed cruise it makes no sense to convert mechanical energy to electric and back again with losses. A mechanical transmission is in the high 90's percent efficient on the highway while a series hybrid might be in the 80's.

Hybrids are pretty good for stop and go, they usually have higher city than highway mileage, but they are as complicated as a normal ICE vehicle plus a BEV in one. Pure electrics are very simple mechanically which is why maintenance is so low on them.

The Wrangle 4xe is pretty tempting as a toad, one of the few (only?) towable hybrids and can run 25 miles on battery. Would be really nice for sight seeing, not sure if campgrounds would be ok with charging it at the site, that would be great. Would wait a while to see how reliable it is considering it's a FCA product and it's quite complicated compared to my plain ICE Wrangler.

Would like to see a full BEV Wrangler at some point, they had a concept at this years Jeep safari.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:15 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Even the original volt was found to connect engine to wheels on the highway. At constant speed cruise it makes no sense to convert mechanical energy to electric and back again with losses. A mechanical transmission is in the high 90's percent efficient on the highway while a series hybrid might be in the 80's.

Hybrids are pretty good for stop and go, they usually have higher city than highway mileage, but they are as complicated as a normal ICE vehicle plus a BEV in one. Pure electrics are very simple mechanically which is why maintenance is so low on them.

The Wrangle 4xe is pretty tempting as a toad, one of the few (only?) towable hybrids and can run 25 miles on battery. Would be really nice for sight seeing, not sure if campgrounds would be ok with charging it at the site, that would be great. Would wait a while to see how reliable it is considering it's a FCA product and it's quite complicated compared to my plain ICE Wrangler.

Would like to see a full BEV Wrangler at some point, they had a concept at this years Jeep safari.
It would probably a good rock climber. I think one would have amazing slow speed control.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #108

The article below highlights the problems surrounding the Tesla Semi. I don't believe it will ever make it to market, unless it is forced upon us by CARB and other regulators.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsl...s-its-champion
Old 06-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Not all are happy in Cali...

1 in 5 electric vehicle owners in California switched back to gas because charging their cars is a hassle, research shows

https://www.businessinsider.com/elec...e-study-2021-4

Note - every example they give are not Telsas... BI has done nothing but slam Tesla for the past few years. I'm betting that there are interests at BI that have been shorting the stock from day one and can use negative journalism to try and drive the stock down. The guy who founded BI had regulatory issues with his trading.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:57 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
Note - every example they give are not Telsas... BI has done nothing but slam Tesla for the past few years. I'm betting that there are interests at BI that have been shorting the stock from day one and can use negative journalism to try and drive the stock down. The guy who founded BI had regulatory issues with his trading.
I'm guessing that many people bought EV's without thinking about how they would actually charge them. It happened to one of my tenants. She bought the car and afterwards realized there was no charge outlet at the house. I installed a 110v outlet for her but 110v is pretty lame. She didn't want to spring for a 220v charging system. Lots of people live in apartment buildings with no charging facilities. I don't think EVs work unless you can charge them at home in your garage.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:58 AM   #111

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2021-06-22_105820.png
Views:	29
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	333169  
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
You got that right. Whatever koolaid you drink is the side you are on. No one on this thread really has any idea what the truth is, if they did they would be working so hard for some big company they wouldn't have time to post here.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote