Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #1

1988 11.5 Bigfoot camper.

Hi All.

Today I found a 1988 11.5 Bigfoot truck camper being sold locally and am seriously thinking of picking it up.

The main concern is the WEIGHT!!! It MUST be real HEAVY!!!
Are there any members who own this model camper or have owned one in the past? Does anyone know the dry weight of this camper?
The seller said he does not know but has it loaded on a 1987 Ford Dually.

I have a 1989 GMC SLE 3500 extended cab 4x4 dually 1 ton but I do not think it can handel very heavy weights. The newer ones can I believe.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I made an offer stipulating that my truck can handle the weight.

News flash...The seller just called and said the specs sheet on the cabnit door reads 1900...lbs??? kgs??? Sounds too light to me either way. brian.

Thank You Brian. Chilliwack BC.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
1900 kg = 4180 lbs. Sounds almost right.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have an answer for your specific question. But we sold our 1986 Bigfoot 19 foot travel trailer last year. It only weighed 2400 pounds (US) and was towable by our little Mazda MPV van. The couple who bought it couldn't believe how little it weighed and that a Honda EU-2000 generator could power everything on that trailer (including AC!). They had a much newer Bigfoot in the past which weighed a lot more and needed more power. I kinda wish I kept that late 80s Bigfoot. Go for it!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #4

it should be able to handle it look at your gvw tag in the door frame and it should tell you axle ratings
Old 03-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #5

The weight of this camper might be listed in two places on the camper..In the vertical close closet cup board at the upper side wall. And also on the back exterior. Failing finding the information there try contacting NATCOA and asking for some help.... ..larryjj
larryjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I would not be afraid to purchase it if I had a 1 ton unit such as yours. I carry a TC that I built back in the late sixties that weighs around 4,000 loaded and has a bed length of 11 feet. I carry it on a 99 Ford SD 3/4 ton single axle. The tires are not overloaded, but according to the Chassis GWR I'm over weight. The truck still sits level and handles great including stopping. But I still drive under 65 mph. I previously carried it on a 72 Ford Camper Special 3/4 Ton for many years without incident. I do credit the LORD for his mercy and goodness for providing my family with safety those many miles. Good luck with your decision.
Mutt
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote