Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
xlh

A Pickup Camper Concept I Can't Find Anywhere

Thanks to having the honor and privilege of being one of the first "adopters" of Covid-19 back in Feb. 2020 (at a trade show in Santa Clara, CA), I am now on my third long-Covid blood clot surgery. Yes the past 18 months have been nothing but fun. As one of the many "gifts" I now carry with me from the "gift that keeps on giving", I am experiencing a borderline urinary and bowel incontinence. From the first serious urge I do have a bit of time... like maybe 5-10 minutes but after that, in the famous lyrics by McFadden & Whitehead: "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now!"

I have had more than my fill of disgusting public toilets to last me several lifetimes. One particularly at a gas station in Ontario, CA: I will spare you the revolting details but let's just state that I threw up for the first time in 30 years. What pushed me over the limit was last week when I had to leave a mall with my shirt wrapped around my waist as my pants got soaked with filthy water that shot out of the base of the toilet.

So I figured I have a way to resolve my problem. I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab so why not just put a tall walk-in canopy that's fitted with at least a cassette toilet or better yet a full RV flush toilet with fresh water and black water tanks. It doesn't have to go over the cab at all. Just a tall extension of the truck's bed.

Now keep in mind. I don't want to sleep in it, cook in it, watch TV in it, work in it, shower in it, entertain guests, or do anything in there other than use the toilet. That's it.

I have been searching for several days online and do you think that such a product exists? Sure, there's lots of $30K campers with more extravagances than my house but nothing that is essentially a portapotty-only tall canopy-type design.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Or have I just invented it and should run off to the US Patent Office in the morning?
xlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2021, 12:47 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I've seen just such a thing marketed to boaters, specifically targeted to those with a pontoon boat. You might try searching BoatUS and similar websites.
Here's one that might get you started in the right direction
https://www.pontoonauthority.com/rev...tty-enclosure/
With one of these any ol' 'topper' on your truck would give you reasonable privacy.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:31 PM   #3

Dump (no pun intended) the 2005 Dakota, get a van and a porta-potty.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:52 PM   #4

ARE makes some toppers that will probably work. Or you might try Leer, Snug Top, or any of the other truck top makers.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:24 PM   #5
xlh

I really like those options especially the WolfWise, but they are much better suited for a marine application. It would look pretty weird in the back of a truck. I can certainly see some little old lady watching me zip myself into that thing and calling the cops.

The Leer 122 could probably work but I'd like a little bit more headroom as I can certainly see smacking my head on the roof.

Something like this would be absolutely perfect if it was less commercial and lacked the side doors:

https://sterlingfleetoutfitters.com/...ize-truck-cap/

It's still not the product I'm envisioning, however, that would have the toilet actually integrated into the slide-in. I really do think I have to go patent this!

There is a second reason I would like the potty in the bed of the pickup truck. If I got it in a van I would have to drive with a gas mask on.
xlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:01 AM   #6

I donít know if this might work, but sharing just in case. There are Vloggers Eamon and Bec who were camping on a raft with friends and at about 4:33 you will see their solution to the privacy for using the cassette toilet : https://youtu.be/n7EkYe2K5Rg
Miah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper