Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2023, 06:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
So it seems that maybe the ac unit starts up and runs okay. It cycles off. Then it tries to start again, but the head pressure is still high. So the genny stumbles trying to start an AC unit that is failing, perhaps because of a weak Capacitor. The Genny is old too. You don't say how many lifetime hours it has.
The ac is not cycling off it just stumbles out of nowhere and quits. Checked the run capacitor and its good. No way of knowing the hours on the gen, its probably 10yrs old.
bluehaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2023, 05:38 AM   #16

greenno has asked if you have tried to run only the AC unit on the genny while running the refrigerator on propane.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:06 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The easiest, inplace experiment is to shut off all circuit breakers, except for the AC. Fire up the generator and turn on the AC. See what happens. Make sure your battery switch is on and you have batteries installed.

Previously, you stated that you checked the start capacitor. Did you measure the microfareds to see if they are within the specs on the side of the can?
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 08:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
greenno has asked if you have tried to run only the AC unit on the genny while running the refrigerator on propane.
yes, it still quits
Old 05-26-2023, 08:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
The easiest, inplace experiment is to shut off all circuit breakers, except for the AC. Fire up the generator and turn on the AC. See what happens. Make sure your battery switch is on and you have batteries installed.

Previously, you stated that you checked the start capacitor. Did you measure the microfareds to see if they are within the specs on the side of the can?
I've done that with the breakers, no difference. Only thing I have to check the capacitor is a digital volt meter, set it at 200k and see if it takes a charge, it does.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehaven View Post
yes, it still quits
With that important pce of info, it seems highly unlikely that there is a draw too big for the EU3000 unless there is a problem.

running the AC on shore power should tell you the answer but I'd bet on an AC problem over a genny issue.

Dave
Old 05-26-2023, 10:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
With that important pce of info, it seems highly unlikely that there is a draw too big for the EU3000 unless there is a problem.

running the AC on shore power should tell you the answer but I'd bet on an AC problem over a genny issue.

Dave
Can't get to plug in somewhere until next week, I'll report back when I do. Thanks for the help
Old 06-05-2023, 08:24 AM   #22

hopefully i can plug in somewhere this week and get my answer
Old 06-06-2023, 08:03 AM   #23

FYI, the generator likely tops out at around 25 Amp - 26 Amp.
Anyhow, we had a similar problem 6 - 7 years ago, the culprit was the compressor in the AC, it was starting to seize up and put a high enough draw on the system that it kept tripping the (dedicated) 20 Amp breaker. However, it seems like your generator stalls before the AC breaker trips. It is possible that the generator has a problem or the AC or both.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
FYI, the generator likely tops out at around 25 Amp - 26 Amp.
Anyhow, we had a similar problem 6 - 7 years ago, the culprit was the compressor in the AC, it was starting to seize up and put a high enough draw on the system that it kept tripping the (dedicated) 20 Amp breaker. However, it seems like your generator stalls before the AC breaker trips. It is possible that the generator has a problem or the AC or both.
I'm leaving in a minute to go to the campground and plug in, hopefully that tells me something. I'm terrible with electrical stuff so I'm just doing what I think might help me diagnose my issue.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:12 PM   #25

At the camp site, all hooked up. AC is working as it should. I guess the next thing is to take the generator in to a Honda dealer and have them check it out
Old 06-08-2023, 12:04 PM   #26

won't be able to take the generator in until the end of June
Old 06-08-2023, 12:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehaven View Post
won't be able to take the generator in until the end of June
What kind of fuel is on the generator and how old is it? I find fresh high octane ethanol free gas works best on small engines, regular and mid grade fuel brakes down within 2 to 4 weeks.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
What kind of fuel is on the generator and how old is it? I find fresh high octane ethanol free gas works best on small engines, regular and mid grade fuel brakes down within 2 to 4 weeks.
The fuel is fine

Tags
generator