Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2022, 12:35 PM   #1

Anybody flat towing a truck camper.

Good day all.
Wife and I currently tow a 2021 F150 behind our bus. Was wondering if anyone here has experience with flat towing a truck with camper. We are looking at a small camper for truck so we can park bus and spend a couple days or more exploring, fishing and general goofing off in some small remote places not too far away from base camp.
mrsandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2022, 02:01 PM   #2

If you have the tow capacity, why not add a small camper to the truck
Course with F150 it would have to be a small camper (light weight)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:11 AM   #3

A half ton is limited to VERY light campers; maybe a pop up or consider a camperized canopy/shell or even a bed tent/rooftop tent.

Dave
Old 01-08-2023, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsandell View Post
Good day all.
Wife and I currently tow a 2021 F150 behind our bus. Was wondering if anyone here has experience with flat towing a truck with a camper. We are looking at a small camper for truck so we can park bus and spend a couple days or more exploring, fishing and general goofing off in some small remote places not too far away from base camp.
We tow a 3200 lb Wrangler with our F350 custom adventure rig and used to tow it with our Lance 1121. Even as heavy as the combo was, your F150 is still a heavier tow (I have an F150 too). Some details in a couple of videos I've done below.

Two recommendation;

1) Make sure you have a tow brake in your toad (most folks don't)...I was coming down off Rainier and on a hairpin switchback, the 3,200lbs jeep pushed the rear of the camper about a foot and a half sideways ONCE....it only happened once because I put a tow brake on it before I got into that situation again.

2) Get a short overhang camper. Mine was in a long bed and still hung out almost 3-1/2ft. I had a 4ft long x 2" hitch extension with chain stays on both sides (absolutely essential). I broke the hitch several times when it drug. Most hitches and extensions you will find for towing with a long camper are VERY expensive and heavy themselves. Buy a camper that will not require an extension of more than 18". Fortunately towing does not put a tongue load on the camper so that is a blessing.

MechEngrSGH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, tow, towing, truck camper