Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2022, 11:29 PM   #1

Arctic Fox 990 converter question

We have a 2020 model. Does anyone know if the converter in that years model includes a lithium charge profile? We are seriously looking at the lithium lifepo4 batteries and I saw where the converter would have to have the lithium profile capability as otherwise we would need to replace the converter. Where would we look to see if it does? It is ďsolar readyĒ if that says anything about the matter. We are not planning to add solar but wondered if that would be a clue. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2022, 11:46 AM   #2

Look at the model of the converter installed and you should be able to pull up the information online, or you can put the model on hear and someone will be able to let you know. Most likely a WFCO converter and the information can be found out here https://wfcoelectronics.com/ but if you need any help post the model installed.
billy_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:21 PM   #3

Even an older 30 amp WFCO converter/charger is compatible with a Battle Born 100 amp hour LiFePO4 battery. A 60 amp WFCO could work well with a pair of 100 amp hour BB batteries. Check in on the Battle Born website for expert analysis. The key would be to get a full charge in less than 4 hours. 4 hours is when the old WFCO drops from 14.4 volts to 13.6 volts. 14.4 is required of optimum charging and cell balancing.

For faster charging and better performance over life of the battery, get a very large Li capable charger. Some brands of Li have very specific charge profiles and may require a fully programmable charger (more than just a Li switch).

The new WFCO converter/chargers have a Li switch. Kits are available to upgrade your existing WFCO.

High quality US Li brands would work with many converter/chargers. Many Chinese brands may or may not work well with some converter/chargers. It depends a lot on the BIM and other components used to build the battery.

Battle Born Lithium
https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/w...orn_Manual.pdf
https://battlebornbatteries.com/char...ibility-table/
https://battlebornbatteries.com/systems/rv/towable/

Lithium Battery Systems
https://marinehowto.com/drop-in-life...ated-consumer/
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_RV View Post
Look at the model of the converter installed and you should be able to pull up the information online, or you can put the model on hear and someone will be able to let you know. Most likely a WFCO converter and the information can be found out here https://wfcoelectronics.com/ but if you need any help post the model installed.

Thanks. Where is the converter located?
Old 07-27-2022, 01:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Even an older 30 amp WFCO converter/charger is compatible with a Battle Born 100 amp hour LiFePO4 battery. A 60 amp WFCO could work well with a pair of 100 amp hour BB batteries. Check in on the Battle Born website for expert analysis. The key would be to get a full charge in less than 4 hours. 4 hours is when the old WFCO drops from 14.4 volts to 13.6 volts. 14.4 is required of optimum charging and cell balancing.

For faster charging and better performance over life of the battery, get a very large Li capable charger. Some brands of Li have very specific charge profiles and may require a fully programmable charger (more than just a Li switch).

The new WFCO converter/chargers have a Li switch. Kits are available to upgrade your existing WFCO.

High quality US Li brands would work with many converter/chargers. Many Chinese brands may or may not work well with some converter/chargers. It depends a lot on the BIM and other components used to build the battery.

Battle Born Lithium
https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/w...orn_Manual.pdf
https://battlebornbatteries.com/char...ibility-table/
https://battlebornbatteries.com/systems/rv/towable/

Lithium Battery Systems
https://marinehowto.com/drop-in-life...ated-consumer/

Thanks for the info. We do plan to go with a reputable brand. Battle Born is clearly the top of the line and led the way on these batteries.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rving49 View Post
Thanks. Where is the converter located?
The WFCO converter/charger may look like this:
https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8540-2/

The converter/charger module in often below the circuit breaker panel. WFCO makes many styles and capacities.

You should have a manual provided with your TT when you bought it. The manual may tell you if there is a Li switch and how to use it.

There will be a label next to the circuit breakers that specifies the model number.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
The WFCO converter/charger may look like this:
https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8540-2/

The converter/charger module in often below the circuit breaker panel. WFCO makes many styles and capacities.

You should have a manual provided with your TT when you bought it. The manual may tell you if there is a Li switch and how to use it.

There will be a label next to the circuit breakers that specifies the model number.
Thank you. I contacted AF meanwhile to find out where it’s located as I did find the manual but the manual didn’t say the specific model of the one in camper, just general info on the series. I also got in touch with Progressive Dynamics as we have that brand. The tech on phone directed me to some great info on their website to review. After reviewing that he said to call and he’ll answer any additional questions, so that is a project for the weekend.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:53 PM   #8

I have a 2019 990 and my charger/converter is under the carpeted step going up to the berth area. Roll up the passthru window shade, open the lid, pull out the plastic storage box and it will be on the right hand side plugged into a single outlet dedicated for that device.
Mine was a Progressive Dynamics Model # PD9245C and when I changed out my lead/acid battery's for the LifePO4 lithium type I did have to replace the charger/converter with a model that had the charging profile I needed.

If you get the same brand the new one is the same exact size and mounts in the same place.
Good luck.
greenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenno View Post
I have a 2019 990 and my charger/converter is under the carpeted step going up to the berth area. Roll up the passthru window shade, open the lid, pull out the plastic storage box and it will be on the right hand side plugged into a single outlet dedicated for that device.
Mine was a Progressive Dynamics Model # PD9245C and when I changed out my lead/acid battery's for the LifePO4 lithium type I did have to replace the charger/converter with a model that had the charging profile I needed.

If you get the same brand the new one is the same exact size and mounts in the same place.
Good luck.

Thank you, greenmo. I did talk with AF this week and they told me where it is. Went over today to get the model number but forgot that I would have to open slide and have no confidence the battery will hold out to do that. Will have to go during week when I can access power at storage.

They did mention at AF that its likely we will be able to do an easy switch out to the new converter. That would be great. Did you have to get anything else besides the converter? We are not planning to do solar which apparently is the reason most people upgrade to LifePo4. We donít use it enough to warrant that expense but we are SO tired of the pathetic experience with lead acid both with this camper and prior RVs. A couple of 100s should easily give us what we need, and ANYthing will be better than now.

Which brand did you get? We are not going with Battle Born just based on $ but we plan to go with something with a low temp cutoff just in case and definitely something thatís reputable. They will still be pricey but would like to get something a bit less than Battle Born though they are clearly the leader and a great product.

Thank you.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:35 PM   #10
laj

Do you have a speculation in what this conversion will cost?
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:32 AM   #11

My set-up will be different from yours.The unit I purchased was model# PD9145ALV i think the cost was about $200.
I do have solar on the roof (510w) so getting as much capacity for storage was #1 priority for me.
Option #1. (2) old lead/acid group 29 battery's gave me about 100ahrs total.
Option #2. (2) Lithium ( battle born etc. ) battery's would give me about 200ahr's. Weight savings for sure but at a cost of $1,600 or so.

Option #3. I purchased (8) 3.2v LifePO4 cells and built up (2) 280ahr battery's. Using a Daly BMS as well as adding a dc-dc charger from Victron 12/12/18 isolated model.
Even added a 3000w inverter in the mix to run the coffee maker or micro in the am so I don't have to break out my small 2.2kw generator.
Did the install about a year ago and I have yet to even use the "new" P/Dynamics charger I don't even have it plugged in. With the solar and the storage I don't even charge the battery's everyday.
Total cost for everything was about $2,500.
greenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:09 PM   #12

I have a 2020 AF 990 also that has a PD 9200 series converter. The actual model number is PD 9245-C. When I was considering switching to Battle Born lithium batteries I started checking into what I needed to modify for this change. I contacted Battle Born Battery and found out from them that I could add a PD 92201 Converter Status Remote Pendant which plugs into the standard acc. port of my PD 9245-C converter which would then make my current converter, compatible with lithium batteries. I also checked with Progressive Dynamics to verify this. I actually purchased this part from Amazon but you can also purchase it from PD or many camper supply outlets. The cost is very reasonable and much less than replacing the converter. Hope this information helps you out. Good luck.
tcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenno View Post
My set-up will be different from yours.The unit I purchased was model# PD9145ALV i think the cost was about $200.
I do have solar on the roof (510w) so getting as much capacity for storage was #1 priority for me.
Option #1. (2) old lead/acid group 29 battery's gave me about 100ahrs total.
Option #2. (2) Lithium ( battle born etc. ) battery's would give me about 200ahr's. Weight savings for sure but at a cost of $1,600 or so.

Option #3. I purchased (8) 3.2v LifePO4 cells and built up (2) 280ahr battery's. Using a Daly BMS as well as adding a dc-dc charger from Victron 12/12/18 isolated model.
Even added a 3000w inverter in the mix to run the coffee maker or micro in the am so I don't have to break out my small 2.2kw generator.
Did the install about a year ago and I have yet to even use the "new" P/Dynamics charger I don't even have it plugged in. With the solar and the storage I don't even charge the battery's everyday.
Total cost for everything was about $2,500.

Oh wow! Good for you doing it yourself! Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcguy View Post
I have a 2020 AF 990 also that has a PD 9200 series converter. The actual model number is PD 9245-C. When I was considering switching to Battle Born lithium batteries I started checking into what I needed to modify for this change. I contacted Battle Born Battery and found out from them that I could add a PD 92201 Converter Status Remote Pendant which plugs into the standard acc. port of my PD 9245-C converter which would then make my current converter, compatible with lithium batteries. I also checked with Progressive Dynamics to verify this. I actually purchased this part from Amazon but you can also purchase it from PD or many camper supply outlets. The cost is very reasonable and much less than replacing the converter. Hope this information helps you out. Good luck.

Thank you so much for that info! That would be great savings if donít have to replace converter! Definitely will check into that!

Tags
converter