Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2021, 05:00 PM   #1

Are used tiedowns a good deal?

I am nearing the point at pulling the trigger and buying my first Truck Camper. I have the truck - 2002 F350 7.3 Diesel, Added airbags (LoadLifter 5000) and now looks like my next step is to get tie downs. I like the idea of bolt on to the frame (drilling the frame for the airbags sucked), and the hidden brackets the Torqlift has. But at $1K for a full set I might look for used/other. Any advice on this approach is appreciated!
Osborne2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2021, 08:32 PM   #2

I have the Torklift hidden brackets, they are really nice. Definitely the way to go in my opinion. No drilling was needed, the front brackets bolt to existing holes and the rear brackets slide into the ends of the receiver hitch. I later bought Torlift's super hitch double hitch receiver and got the brackets that match it. Mine is a 2014 F250 Super Duty. I used a set of Brophy stake pocket tie downs and plain turnbuckles to get the camper home from the dealer, they were functional but not nearly as solid as the Torklift stuff. If you can find used ones I can't imagine it would be any problem, as long as they are in good condition. To avoid drilling you would need to find ones made to match your truck.
kames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #3

Appreciate the input! Will start looking online

Sounds like to need to go to the Torklift website and find the truck frame years for a compatible set. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2021, 03:54 PM   #4

I scored a used ser of torklift for my 07 chevy. By chance a dealership had a full set that came off same truck/ different year that matched up all part numbers and fit perfectly. So for 300 bux it was a total score... a little rust on them but nothing major.
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:55 AM   #5

Most definitely look for used ones, unless they've been badly abused or damaged. I recently ordered a Host Yukon for delivery in 6 months & then started looking for tie downs, turnbuckles, & spring Stableloads, all made by Torklift. I looked on eBay, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc. I found a set of the stainless tie downs & Stableloads from the same seller, who had only used them for 6 months. I found a set of 10 year old Fastgun turnbuckles with locks, that had been in storage for quite a while. I also found a rubber bed mat used. I saved well over $1,000 on all of it. I had the most luck finding stuff on Marketplace. It will take patience & time, but it's worth it.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:03 PM   #6

Tie Down Update

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the Torqlift frame mounts new. I did however find a used set of chrome fastgun tiedowns for $400. Seller said to immediately put locks on them as they will dissapear... Did that yesterday.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:10 PM   #7

Purchased a 2015 Host Aspen 9.5 LB that was on a 2011 GMC dually
Removed the custom built frame mounts but would not fit on my 2015
I bit the bullet and bought the Torqlift frame mounts new and tie downs
They are nice and I installed in 6 hours
The custom built frame mounts are for sale
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote