Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #1

Well, the maiden voyage was a success!
Just one hitch. My Atwood jacks went "intermittent". When loading onto the truck the jacks just quit working as did the "remote activation switch". Read directions and it said a low battery condition would shut down the jacks. Well, the battery is a full charge. I have a solar panel on the roof. The unit was plugged in to shore power and the jacks were still flaky. I tried unplugging them to see if one was binding. All ok there. I did finish the job by hand cranking the jacks up to get the rig into the truck bed.
I have a fully charged RV battery, a new battery in the remote and everytime the remote is actuated the switch "clicks" off. I can't locate the unit or the board that the jacks are plugged into. Anyone have a Lance 1130 wih this setup?
Any help?
Thanks
Chet
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #2

Well, the maiden voyage was a success!
Just one hitch. My Atwood jacks went "intermittent". When loading onto the truck the jacks just quit working as did the "remote activation switch". Read directions and it said a low battery condition would shut down the jacks. Well, the battery is a full charge. I have a solar panel on the roof. The unit was plugged in to shore power and the jacks were still flaky. I tried unplugging them to see if one was binding. All ok there. I did finish the job by hand cranking the jacks up to get the rig into the truck bed.
I have a fully charged RV battery, a new battery in the remote and everytime the remote is actuated the switch "clicks" off. I can't locate the unit or the board that the jacks are plugged into. Anyone have a Lance 1130 wih this setup?
Any help?
Thanks
Chet
Old 07-12-2005, 12:37 AM   #3

Replace the battery in the remote control
bluefishgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:22 PM   #4

Did that.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #5

Hey C-vet sorry to hear you had trouble. My dealer talked me out of the remotes for the reason you state, he told me it was a reception problem with the receiver? I got the ones with the dual buttons (that stick and don't shut off) you can't win! let us know what fixes this when you do. scotty.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:22 PM   #6

I have e-mail into Lance and Atwood and we will see what will happen. If I could find the darn "reciever" box I could relocate it. If not I will just hard wire the things with a "rocker" switch. Less convient but more reliable.
Chet
Old 07-14-2005, 07:16 AM   #7

I have a 04 1161 my board and antenna wire is located under the step for the slide out dinette, I know it's not the same for you though. Also I do remember reading in the Lance manual in bold black letters "Do not operate jacks while plugged in to shore power" I think I remember reading last year on some forum that Atwood was having some problems with the boards on earlier jacks 02,or 03 I think, sorry I couldn't be of more help
phil1454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:30 PM   #8

Well, no help from Lance and letters going back and forth from Atwood. I called purchasing dealer and was told the RV battery needs to have 13.6 volts or jacks will not operate. I find this confusing because it should work plugged into shore power. But I was told not so. There is a sensor on the receiver board that senses low power from RV battery and will not actuate jacks as a safety feature.
Harumph!!!!
So I will be checking the RV battery for 13.6 VDC and if not there I am off to Wally World for a Maxxus Deep Cycle.
Chet
Old 07-18-2005, 06:59 AM   #9

Have had the exact same problem. Does your momentary contact push button switch turn red and stay red when you press it? If not, that is your first problem, the circuit board is not activated. The board on my 1030 is to the left of the steps. To solve this issue, I removed the switch assembly, and removed the telephone type connector from the board's reverse side and coated with contact grease. Then I pressed the switch numerous times to seat the contacts to try to get through any surface corrosion or dirt, and this worked for me. I started a tendency to flip the switch, letting it return with a snap, that has now become unnecessary since mine works flawlessly now. Also, it helps to be in direct line with the master circuit board (mine is located under the sink). Additionally, have heard that the converter does not have sufficient power [current] to run all jacks at the same time, so they will do the intermittent thing. Tried that and they are correct. So now I only operate mine on the internal battery which must be fully charged or with the engine running if I want to conserve the battery charge. I had the problem you describe and the above worked for me. Hope it does the same for you, but no guarantees. It is a wonderful setup once you get it working right...don't give up.
3DMYWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:28 PM   #10

Yee-haw! I found it!
Mine was under the sink like your's! I removed the cable at both ends and used some dielectric grease. Plugged the cable back in and now the light comes on and stays on! Progress!
But now the remote doesn't work! The remote did work. The battery voltage to the module (under the sink) is 13.65 vdc. The battery in the remote is 9.33 vdc. Maybe the remote was bad all along? And the module is good? Or is the module intermittent?
Is one problem masking the other? The jacks work when the card is active. But now the jacks no workee at all!
Drat!
Chet
Chet
Old 07-19-2005, 07:17 PM   #11

I have Happi-jacks always use shore power when available. I would ask the dealer how you get 13.6 volts out of a 12.6 volt battery if not hooked to shore power?
Ed Robinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #12

And I thought that my dealer was jerking me around when he talked me out of remotes! I will have to thank him.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:52 PM   #13

I know you Harley riders have to keep things simple!
But when them jacks work it is a breeze to get that big camper on the truck.
And even better when you get home, it is a 5 minute job to get the thing off the truck!
Chet
Old 08-17-2005, 06:50 PM   #14

I believe the manual says to not operate the jacks on shore power only (with the battery disconnected/removed). The jacks would need more power than the converter could produce alone and overload it.

Did you get the issue with the jack/remote resolved?