Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2018, 06:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldb187 View Post
Thinking about getting a slide in. How do you pull a boat or mc tlr with it? Also can you park and slide out to run down to the store then slide back in? How much of a hassle is it to do that? Thanks
For towing you will need an extension that goes into your receiver. Depending on the weight you are towing and the length of the camper will determine what type of extension you need.

We drop the camper at a camp site and use the truck all the time. Takes us about 15 minutes to jack the camper off the truck and pull out, then lower the camper. Reloading takes a bit longer because I’m still learning how to line up and back under the camper.
Our camper has electric jacks and a wireless controller. Torklift fastgun tiedowns help as well.
Chriswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldb187 View Post
1.) Thinking about getting a slide in. How do you pull a boat or mc tlr with it?

2.) Also can you park and slide out to run down to the store then slide back in? How much of a hassle is it to do that?
Exactly as Chriswar said in his post.
1.) You can install a device known as a SuperHitch.
It extends the trailer hitch past the end of the camper tail section. This is what it would look like with the camper off the truck. . .

They come in different sizes according to what you want to tow and how long your camper overhang is.
See the link directly below for more info. . .

https://www.torklift.com/automotive/supertruss

2.) Taking the camper off (and on) the truck is easy if your not in a hurry.
Use a check-list so you NEVER forget a step.
Practice in a flat open parking lot or level driveway. Develop a 'system' that works for you.
Loading up on (excessively) un-level ground can get a bit tricky (especially at night or in foul weather) but that sort of thing is pretty rare and can usually be avoided.

Keep us posted on what you decide to buy, and Happy Shopping!
Regards,
-Ej-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #17

If you are handy with welding and fabrication you can build an extension yourself. That is what I did and we used it for 10-15 years until we sold the camper. I did that with the first camper also and we used it about 15 years, for the most part, to tow a 23' cabin boat. The first extension was simply a slide out bumper, the second was much better and utilized two additional receivers on each side of the frame that were higher than the original center hitch. A center part of the extension went into the original receiver and acted as a "prop".The extension was shaped somewhat like the front of a trailer. The sides of the extension that were attached to the frame managed side loads while the center provided support for down loads. The whole thing was built from 1/4 wall hitch material. I wish I could provide a pic, but I sold it along with the TC several years ago.

We never unloaded the camper while camping/traveling, but used the combo to do whatever running we did. Ours was 23' end to end with a 11.5' camper and standard cab truck, which was probably shorter than most crew cab trucks alone. It was easy to maneuver and park just about anywhere.

One of the first things I did with both TCs was to install a "boot" between the camper and truck that provided access to the camper without going outside when desired (rain?). It also provided access while going down the road.

The size was also great for our trip to AK while riding the ferry from PR, BC to Skagway, AK with stops along the way. The cost there was per foot of length for anything over 22'.

For the last 12-14 years we had it we towed a Samurai and later a Tracker which provided even more versatility. We also towed a bike trailer with it, and I later fabricated baskets for the front and back of the Samurai/Tracker toads that allowed us to take our two Honda Trail 90s along if we wanted to.

Just a few things we did with ours for your consideration. IMHO, a TC is about the most versatile RV out there

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:09 AM   #18

Still have your camper ? 2 or 4 wheel drive. Thanks
rimrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #19

Rimrock, if your question was for me the answer is no.

They were both diesel powered, srw, manual shift, 4wd, standard cab. We had them from about '78 until three years ago, and 300k miles, when my wife decided we needed something that rode better, didn't require climbing to get into the bed, and had easier access to the camper facilities while moving. We're 79 and 72 and she has had a broken wrist, hip replacement, (both from falls) and has osteoporosis. I would have been happy with the TC for as long as we could travel, but she had a good point, so we sold the TC and got a small MH.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace