Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2005, 06:43 AM   #1

Seems like every guy I ask thinks his Truck is the best!! I need some good advice concerning the truck that will do the job with the least complications. I have a Coachmen slide-in but can't tell you specs because my daughter is using it now and the info in in the camper. I'm condisering a used Dodge dully. Any advice will be appreciated.

Prissy
Prissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2005, 06:43 AM   #2

Seems like every guy I ask thinks his Truck is the best!! I need some good advice concerning the truck that will do the job with the least complications. I have a Coachmen slide-in but can't tell you specs because my daughter is using it now and the info in in the camper. I'm condisering a used Dodge dully. Any advice will be appreciated.

Prissy
Old 03-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #3

The big issue is weight, if you have the camper on a truck now, take it down and weigh it. Then unload and weigh the truck and figure what the camper weighs. This will give you the best idea of how much truck you should have under the camper. A dually can handle most campers. There are some of the bigger campers that should be on F450/550's. If you are going to buy a truck now thinking that you will use this camper for a while then upgrade you need to think now about what camper you might want later and buy enough truck to handle the possible new camper without having to change trucks again. As for which dually you might want, get the one you like! All three brands will give you good service. I tow a lot, have a heavy camper, so I went with desiel and dually. With my set up I am pushing the limits of F350. Most likely I should have bought a F450, although the rig has preformed just fine.

Really sit down and think about how you will use the camper, will you tow, will the truck be a daily drive as well, changing campers later, 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive-do you need it, how much camper do you really need to do what you want. Answer these honestly and it will help you decide.

2003 A990S Arctic Fox
Don and Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #4

Don and Sarah gave great advice....the issue is the weight. I too bought a big camper (BF 3000)...I have it on an F350 dually4x4. I wish someone would have give me the advice of Don and Sara 6 years ago when we were truck and camper shopping. IVER D
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #5

Thanks, guys!! We had a '96 3500 Dodge dully with very little repair so that is why I'm leaning to the Dodge but have been told that the Cummins engine in the newer models are not as good. Do you know anything about this? Also, have been told to stay away from Fords...have no idea why. When it comes to mechanics, I'm dumber than a post and probably shouldn't even consider traveling alone but love to travel and don't care for motels and eating out everyday. Then, there's a problem with my live-in, Petee. Some motels don't take dogs and he goes where I go. He's a 2 1/2 lb long coat Chihuahua. Last year we went to New York. Because dogs aren't allowed to tour the Empire State Building and Petee went to the top, he thinks he's pretty special. (and he is)
Thanks for any advice!

Prissy
Old 03-11-2005, 04:11 PM   #6

All of the truck makers make a fine unit.
I have a Ford and have over 110,000 miles and it will last at least 500,000 miles.
I wanted a Dodge because of the engine (Cummins) but they did not make a crew cab.
The new Chevy is getting rave reviews from the towing crowd with the Duramax engine and allison trans.
All of these trucks make excellent tow vehicles as long as they are service at the prescribed intervals. They should last anyone a long long time.
Chet
Old 03-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #7

The 2003 Ford 6.0 had a some problems when it first came out. I have one of the first year models and have 20,000 and it has not missed a beat. I think the few who got the bad ones raised so much kane that everyone think they are all bad. The Dodge has a rep for auto trans problem, don't know if they have been fixed with the new version. Evan the Allison in the GMC/Chevy has had some problem. You can get a lemon in any of the 3. I think the cummins is the best engine overall. I like my Ford just fine. Does everything I ask it to. I am sure the Durmax/allison is the same way. Test drive them all and pick the one that fits your budget and likes.

2003 A990S Arctic Fox
Don and Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the Cummins engine in the newer models are not as good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, I have a 2004 and I think the Cummins is better. It's quieter and has more power.

I had a 2000 and a 2002 Dodge w/Cummins previously.

And the transmission has been built stronger. Maybe not as good as an Allison though.

As another note, Cummins didn't have many problems when they came out with the new configuration in 2003 - not like the 6.0 International in the Fords.
Jumbo Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:22 PM   #9

Prissy-

I think your question is as smart as what your planning. I told everyone last year that the best way to carry a bigger camper is with a used diesel dually. I did. I bought the truck for around 13K. My Dodge is not new. With 172K miles, I kid you not, runs like new. I have owned Ford diesels too. My analogy is simple. Fords diesel is like a car engine made to be diesel. The Cummins is a tractor engine made for being a diesel. My torque is made @ 1800rpms. Fords is around 3000rps. Like a car. For people that need that car like feeling. Buy a Dodge 3500 with a Cummins 1996-1997 will be your best for price. Your on the right track!!

Tom

03 Palomino Bronco 1250
TJ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:49 AM   #10

We just purchased a new Ford F-350 4X4 dually King Ranch with the 6.0 diesel and the 5 speed auto. If you compare this truck to the other 2 manufacturers (Dodge,GM)it for now comes out on top for towing and it is rated to carry more in the bed also. I can't stress enough that even with it's higher load carrying capacity (new for 2005 model year) it still is NOT able to carry some of the largest campers made today. If you are planning on getting the largest camper out there then you should only get an F-450 or possibly an F-550. These are the only trucks big enough to carry anything on the market today and clear the cabover of the camper. I was very concerned about not overloading the truck and about the proper center of gravity. I was looking at the Lance 1181 Max. After doing my homework I found out that this camper will NOT work with the F-350 as it has the center of gravity too far back and I would be in violation of the factory specs for this truck. Should something happen I would be without warranty and on my own. I know there are a lot of folks putting this and other simular units on 1 ton duallies. They are OVERLOADED period. Yes they can get away with it but should something break or GOD forbid someone get hurt in an accident you will be hung out to dry. Choose your truck based on the type and weight and center of gravity of camper you will be using. DON'T take the camper dealers word for it. You have to know what the trucks limits are.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #11

I have a 2000 F250 SD Diesel six speed 4x4 that does everything I ask it to do with power to spare. I was looking at the new trucks but mine is proven reliability and better fuel millage than the new ones. Scotty.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #12

Buy the bigest truck you can. The bigger the truck the bigger the brakes are. Stopping a heavey truck camper is a major problem. Remember a pickup only has two sets of brakes. My TC weighs in at 11580 gross. I have a 3500 w/exhaust brake and I still drive with caution. I agree with all the above replys. Rob
Old 04-29-2005, 02:50 PM   #13

I have a f350 PSD 7.3 diesel and love it and pull a fiver that weighs in at 14K and a NorthStar slidein. The truck has been great and I'll keep it for many years...Your noted that you want a truck that makes it easy to load you slidein. Unfortuneatly the Ford Super Duty trucks have a taller cab and you need to put in some two by fours on the truck bed to elevate the camper to give sufficient clearance of the bedroom area over the cab. My problem was even worse as I have some gigantic air horns to clear. Its my understanding that both Dodge and GM/Chevy don't have the clearance problem. Another issue is the dually forces you to get hinges on the forward Jacks so they miss the wider tire dimension. Single wheel trucks have the same carrying capacity as Duallys (as per the materials from the mfg's). Folks usually buy them for the feeling of security of having four wheels in the rear.

We're Dick and Jane,no spot only Lilly Beagle
hmsbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:47 PM   #14

Dually.....no doubt about it. I had a SRW and the tilt/sway was just uncomfortable feeling. Did everything I could to minimize it - air bags, sway bar, 10ply tires.....but it will still feel "tippy".
Which brand.....I'm partial to the Cummins Turbo Diesel.....but I'm not going to push one over the other because your decission will be based on what you're looking for, not me.
Drive 'em and pick the one ya like the most - but a Dually will be the best decission IMHO.