Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2007, 12:09 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MMouser:
Arlo, it appears that the older campers where better built campers.
My new in 1971 FRANKLIN was far superior to today's standards. It surpased my 99 and 01 Lance for quality.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I bought a new '76 Beaver camper and had it for 24 years, it was still in great shape when I sold it. My fried bought a new '78 Beaver and still has it today, he does have to do some yearly maintenance (but so do we all).
The children of the Beaver TC mfr, started Host Campers but do not seem to have followed in their parents footsteps as far as quality is concerned.

2000 Lazy Daze 30 IB
Budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #16

I was thinking of buying a Bigfoot because of all the positive posts I have seen over the years on this site. I ended up going with a Winnebago DP, but I do have one question (no offense), why, if all this stuff was bad from day one did you sign the purchase agreement?

Good luck
aux_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 AM   #17

Jerry.
It seems that more and more Buyers of RV's are looking beyond the "glitter" and more at product quality..Your comments are well taken. I have put purchase of new TC on hold. As you have stated many of the older campers are of higher quality. The 20 year old Hideaway that I bought to see if I'd like TC camping may become permanent..I am surprised at the shoddy workmanship I have seen on some of the new and near new units I have looked at.

Arlo
Arlo Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:56 AM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aux_man:
I was thinking of buying a Bigfoot because of all the positive posts I have seen over the years on this site. I ended up going with a Winnebago DP, but I do have one question (no offense), why, if all this stuff was bad from day one did you sign the purchase agreement?

Good luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too purchased the BF because of all the positive posts I saw on the different forums. The problem is that I didn't find many posts about Poor Customer Service. People generally overlook or dismiss that because the quality is there so therefore they don't talk about it. Now that my story is out, more people are coming forward and voicing their opinions.

Also as far as all the issues, the only "major" problem was the delaminating wood. This was caused by the glue that was used, not water damage. The cabinets themselves were constructed top-notch from the factory. All the vallances & outlets were hung straight ect... It was once the first rv shop replaced the wood that the angles weren't cut straight or screws were set too deep. That particular rv shop (that the dealer uses, and BF requested fix our TC) is who started ruining our camper making it worse than when we purchased it. They gouged the kitchen floor, gouged the bathroom door, cracked the paneling in the tc, hung the vallance & outlet crooked, ect...Since BF authorized this dealer to fix their delaminating issue, I feel BF should stand behind this rv shop and fix their crappy job.

I asked for a month, for both the BF rep & dealer to order more paneling and neither would. They also wouldn't order parts that were requested at the time of purchase. I finally had to talk with the GM, at which time he told his factory worker to steal the parts from another unit on the dealers lot. When I asked the BF rep if the parts were sent, he lied and said yes. We requested the tracking number and that's when the truth came out. They were NEVER sent.

Then BF sent their factory worker down to the dealer, who's "shop" was a covered carport lacking any major tools to do the job correctly. The factory worker had to go buy a table saw and work under the carport in 100 degree weather. The factory worker "tweeked" the wood, backed out the screws and just covered with new laminate tape. He even used extra pieces of wood to hide gaps and wall paper strip to hide the gorilla glue. My TC was pretty much a bandaid fix.

In my opinion, I purchased a $30,000 camper and it was in worse shape when they were done. To me that's NO FAIR.

As far as the other issues with the TC. Some things you don't find until you get home, or are willing to overlook because not everything is "perfect". Like the slice that was in the fresh water hose, that flooded the carpet the first time we filled the tank. We fix that. That 4 of the 6 screws that hold the fresh water door on the TC were stripped. Those things popped up after we got it home.

Anyway, hope this helps with the story line.
spkncarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #19

what did you exect , with $5.00 a hr teen with a hang.over putting them together
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:57 AM   #20

Pawpaw ..on several different forums I pointed out many problems with the claimed cause of many of the problems that the op says are bigfoots fault and the very questionable way the poster claims the mfg.& dealers helping did&did not happen,tomorrow I am trading a 2005 Northern lite in for a new leftover Bigfoot 10'6"and I have had two other Bigfoots in the past with excellent service from both the dealers and the factory ps I did call both the factory and dealer for more info since I was planning to buy another Bigfoot
Old 07-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #21

Since Suds likes to keep this going even though we've since moved on and continue to use our BF, the dealer has since gone "out of business".

Suds, it's getting really old having you follow me around the forums. I could care less who you've called and talked to. You were not part of the problem nor the solution. You can let it go now.
spkncarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
One thing I haven't seen in the OP's post (maybe I just missed it, although I tried to read carefully because we're interested in the Bigfoot) was WHICH Bigfoot is it? Bigfoot has 3 levels of campers: 1500, 2500, and 3000, so I'd like to know exactly which camper it is that the OP has.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #23

Linda, It appears he is talking about a TRUCK camper, not a TT or Class C

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LindaH:
One thing I haven't seen in the OP's post (maybe I just missed it, although I tried to read carefully because we're interested in the Bigfoot) was WHICH Bigfoot is it? Bigfoot has 3 levels of campers: 1500, 2500, and 3000, so I'd like to know exactly which camper it is that the OP has. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:37 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by apackof2:
Linda, It appears he is talking about a TRUCK camper, not a TT or Class C. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm perfectly aware of what the OP is talking about!

If you go to Bigfoot's website, you'll see that they produce 3 levels of truck campers: the 1500 series, the 2500 series, and the 3000 series.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:38 AM   #25

I'm sorry to see having all these problems. Buying a TC can be a difficult thing. I have overlooked a few things on a camper back in 1994. I figured I could fix them myself. However my point is that should not have accepted the delivery of the camper to start with. This should be a warning to all of us, regardless what brand of TC it is. When getting a new TC we may not want to see the flaws and figure they'll fix them later. I guess it doesn't quiet happen so.
Larry.

1998 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
Ayeedo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #26

We purchased a new 2008 Bigfoot 2500 camper last week. This week it has been raining. Today I opened up the closet and found a puddle of water on the cedar floor. The water is apparently coming in along some wires that run into the closet's roof.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is this normal for Bigfoot campers? We decided to go with what we thought was the best camper on the market but now we are worried?

Suggestions?

Thanks
dshawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #27

dshawkins,

I believe the 2500 has a full fiberglass roof...thus I am wondering where the water is coming in...and what wires penetrate the roof--we have a roof antenna which has a healthy amount of caulking seal around the bracket...you might also check your rear clearance lights near the roof...possibly a gasket has come loose.

We have the Bigfoot 3000, now 9 years old and still wonderful shape. We never experienced any leaks (ours has rubber roof...we do preventative maintenance on it every 3-4 years)...

Good luck, HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #28

You are having a nightmare of problems,but to save you more since i noticed your ceiling leak which i had on mine (2008 camper),in the cabinet over the sink to the right take the panel off which gives you access to the stereo ,check how much water is coming there ,they forgot to calk the satellite feed coming through the roof and through time you'll have a real mess and possibly loose all the electrics there to from shorts.
stankern is offline   Reply With Quote