Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 09:19 PM   #15
laj

might just be an in-line fuse.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 09:21 PM   #16

Well thanks you two. I greatly appreciate your help with this. I’m just besides myself trying to get this fixed cause it put a major damper on a trip we just went on. Had to spend the night at a hotel and that sucks.

I just bet it’s the power inverter. Darn it.
pappyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyman View Post
Well thanks you two. I greatly appreciate your help with this. I’m just besides myself trying to get this fixed cause it put a major damper on a trip we just went on. Had to spend the night at a hotel and that sucks.

I just bet it’s the power inverter. Darn it.
Even if it is, it’s not a biggy. Easy to replace and not expensive.

But get in the habit of calling it a converter. An inverter is a completely different animal and used for a different purpose.

Question. Do you have an old fashioned portable battery charger?
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:28 PM   #18

Ooops my bad, converter not inverter, glad to hear they got newer versions for the electronics. I’m not an electrician either so it’s off to my local rv guy.

Do you guys sleep? I’m gonna hit the hay fellas. I’ll check back in the morning before I head to work.

Again, thanks for the quick responses to this issue, you guys rock it. I feel better already just having you guys on my side.

Good night.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Ooops my bad, converter not inverter, glad to hear they got newer versions for the electronics. I’m not an electrician either so it’s off to my local rv guy.

Do you guys sleep? I’m gonna hit the hay fellas. I’ll check back in the morning before I head to work.

Again, thanks for the quick responses to this issue, you guys rock it. I feel better already just having you guys on my side.

Good night.
Nighty night.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:29 PM   #20

Hmmmm...not sure what that would be? I guess not?
Old 12-02-2020, 09:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Hmmmm...not sure what that would be? I guess not?
No worries. I was going to suggest a temp fix if you had something like a Walmart variety 12 volt battery charger.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:32 AM   #22

Have you taken a meter to your batteries and fuse box yet? If the truck is running and plugged in, you should have 12vdc from the connector to the camper. If the camper is plugged in to 120vac, you should have 12vdc out of the converter. Even with the camper just sitting, your batteries should be putting out 12vdc unless dead.

The main DC power disconnect typically sits somewhere between your battery and fuse box. Follow the thick cable from the battery and see if you can find the path it takes to your fuses.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #23

I phoned Grant from the factory on his cell but was unable to get in touch with him. I did check with another tech at the dealership. He also feels that the disconnects were no installed until a few years later.

Have someone competent with a meter check the output of your converter and see what he can find.

Cheers.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #24

Hey I’m back. Got half way to work before remembering that I was supposed to check this site before I went to work. Duh, I hate getting old.

Anyways, I have used a volt meter to check my batteries while on and off shore power and truck running. Both batteries register 11.6 no matter what.

I’m guessing the batteries are draining because of not getting plugged in for recharging. I was planning on disconnecting them this weekend and put them on a trickle charger until full power and the camper is fixed.

Radar, what would that temp fix look like using that Walmart variety 12 battery charger?

Bedlam, I’ll have to get on YouTube and see if I can find out what part of the converter is checked for voltage going to the battery. Right now I have no idea.

Tomorrow I’ll take some pics of what the converter looks like and post those pics and wait for you guys to tell me where to put the prongs to test for voltage.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Hey I’m back. Got half way to work before remembering that I was supposed to check this site before I went to work. Duh, I hate getting old.

Anyways, I have used a volt meter to check my batteries while on and off shore power and truck running. Both batteries register 11.6 no matter what.

I’m guessing the batteries are draining because of not getting plugged in for recharging. I was planning on disconnecting them this weekend and put them on a trickle charger until full power and the camper is fixed.

Radar, what would that temp fix look like using that Walmart variety 12 battery charger?

Bedlam, I’ll have to get on YouTube and see if I can find out what part of the converter is checked for voltage going to the battery. Right now I have no idea.

Tomorrow I’ll take some pics of what the converter looks like and post those pics and wait for you guys to tell me where to put the prongs to test for voltage.
Howdy. The temporary fix is to just use your trickle charger as your converter until you get it fixed. Once you get setup just hook up your trickle charger and plug it into the outside plug of your camper. This is assuming you have power where you are camping of course.

Once you open the door on the 6345 converter you should see the big lug with the red wire that comes from the battery. It should measure the same as your battery. If it’s there then you probably have no external fuses or breakers blown. That means it is probably the “lower tray” of your converter. The replacement tray is called the 7345. The parts guy will need to know the part number off your converter. Like I say, it’s probably a magnetek 6345.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #26

Hmmmmm...this sounds like I might be able to do this. Thanks for your direction in this matter.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Hmmmmm...this sounds like I might be able to do this. Thanks for your direction in this matter.
My pleasure.

Stay safe and healthy.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #28

well, after mucho reading and testing with a volt meter, i have determined I will upgrade my old converter with a newer model.

the more i read about the 6332 model converter that I have in the camper now, the more negative i read about it and there IS a lot of negative about that converter.

So I will pull the batteries, put them on a trickle for the winter and come spring grab a multiple stage converter and go from there.

Thanks for all your help, it means a lot to me. I greatly appreciate the friendliness of this site, you guys are awesome!

I'll update with a new thread when I get her done!

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, camper, disconnect, truck camper