Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #1

Question Camper Configurations

We will be acquiring both a truck and TC, and looking to tow a 12' aluminum boat. We think we would prefer a short bed truck and a camper that would allow us to use the hitch on the truck without an extension, simply to keep the whole set up shorter. But we wonder if we'd be better of with a long bed truck, in order to have more camper options.

Just starting to research trucks and truck campers and don't understand how some of the configurations work. For example, I see a camper with a bed length of 8'9" that says long bed only. Then another, same length, that says long OR short bed. When a camper model is listed as compatible with both short and long bed does that mean the particular individual camper would go on either truck, or that the model can be configured for either size truck bed? How to the manufacturers configure a camper that will work on either size bed? Why wouldn't they make all their campers compatible with both sizes of truck bed? Is there a simple explanation for what features one might gain or give up with the two different configurations?

I know we'll have to deal with a lot of other considerations, GVRW, the right tires, Etc., Etc. but based on advice to choose the camper first, then the truck, we need information to help us narrow down camper models.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Annie
AnnieMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
laj

personally i would never consider a short box to haul a camper on. you dont get enough of the weight on the front axle, plus for the same length you get more over hang behind the bed. this almost always insures an extended hitch. jmo
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:44 PM   #3

I am with him^ id never get a shortbed for a camper.

Many models are compatible with either short or long bed trucks. I have an arctic fox 860 that came off a short bed and is now on my long bed. some of the longer campers that are short bed specific will not slide into a long bed all the way because they have compartments or generators built in to a section that will hit the bed on a long bed truck.
84prerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:07 AM   #4

The two major points of putting a truck camper and a truck together is center of gravity (COG) and the ability of the truck to carry the weight. First find the camper that you want, then find the truck with the ability to carry it. You MUST match the COG properly for safety reasons. Please check out Truck Camper magazine which has an invaluable list for matching your truck to your camper. Once you're safely matched, the fun begins!
2lvrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:49 AM   #5

There are some good short bed campers with proper CG for a smaller bed, but you will find more choices by starting with a long bed truck. An advantage to going with a short bed truck is that you can get a fully contained 9' camper with generator in this configuration. The same 9' camper on a long bed with not have enough overhang in the back to fit that generator and will need to be 10' long if you want one.

Going with a short bed truck will most likely require you to use a receiver extension to clear the camper overhang. If you can keep the rear overhang on any camper under a 1' you will not need an extension, but you will not be able to fit a built in generator. With the light boat you plan to tow, you can used stock receiver and an inexpensive extension. If you plan to tow something over 3000 lbs in the future, upgrade to a SuperHitch and SuperTruss before spending more money outfitting your OEM model.

I already had a stout short bed truck when I was shopping for my first truck camper and bought an Arctic Fox with a slide. This put even a stout truck at limits, but is very driveable. We decided we wanted more room, a side door and a dry bath after owning our first camper. This required going to a long bed and dual rear wheels to carry what we wanted. I bought the larger truck and hauled the short bed camper on it for a couple of years before finally upgrading the camper. Because of where the CG is placed in a properly designed short bed camper, it can be carried on a long bed or short bed truck. However, there will be a gap between the truck cab and camper if carried on a long bed. A long bed camper should not be carried on a short bed truck - The CG will be too far behind the axle and cause front end handling issues.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:34 PM   #6

Thanks to all for good information. We just this afternoon purchased a LB truck, albeit with some reservations particularly in regard to generator. But more TC research this afternoon has turned up a couple possibililities like the ALP 89RB where it looks like we may be able to have our modest camper and generator. So with a short extension to the boat trailer, will it become necessary to unhook the trailer to get in and out of the camper?
AnnieMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #7

You will still be able access the camper but may not have access to your folding steps.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #8

I tow a 19 ft bass boat with a 1 ton dually and an Arctic Fox 990. I have an extension to hook my boat trailer up. Works great but you need enough truck to do this. I recommend doing your homework by going to truckcampermagazine.com and read the articles about payload capacity and weight of campers.
Chriswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #9

And with the boat trailer on an extension and the Fox Landing on the back there is no problem with getting inside with the trailer connected. A bit tight to get in without pulling out the slide.
Chriswar is offline   Reply With Quote