Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #1

Camper Cover, what is the best RV cover

I here good and bad, does anybody recommend a truck camper cover, I know it needs to breath. I know the camper will last longer under cover.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bet you will find some disagreement on this topic. Yes, keeping the sun off of the RV is a good thing. Keeping the rain off keeps it cleaner. On the other hand it is hard to get enough ventilation particularly underneath where a gravel or dirt parking surface will cause the undercarriage to rust without constant air motion. They also make it hard to remove snow without tearing. A concrete pad is best underneath. Many prefer a shade structure. This one might be overkill but they also come in fabric and some have sides that don't come all of the way down.
https://www.absoluterv.com/rv-covers...hade-shelters/
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #3

For the 35 years we had TC's I used a blue plastic tarp tied on with parachute cord. The camper's were usually unloaded and held up by 4X4's at both ends supported by jack stands. The jack stands were adjustable enough to bring the 4X4's level and in line with each other. These were usually on 12X12 1/2" plywood squares placed on the grass and later gravel to keep them from sinking. Sometimes they were on cement. For me it was whatever worked, and the protection was from rain as we didn't get a lot of snow.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:34 PM   #4

I wish i could put up a carport but my CC&R don't allow, the camper is on a RV pad and one side is sheltered from the wind.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #5

We've been using RV covers for years. In the desert SW they only last 18-24 months under constant use. In areas with lower UV's, they'll last much longer. Unless you purchase a custom, model specific cover with some kind of exotic material, there's very little difference in longevity from one brand of RV cover to another. IMO, how you use/install a cover determines its longevity more than which brand you buy. Although an RV cover is designed to protect the RV, you also need to protect the RV from the cover, too. A cover can rub against an RV thousands of times a day in windy weather---especially the fragile edges of the rubber roof and various corners. Painter's tape can be your friend. Proper installation is key to preventing damage to both the RV and the cover itself.
Rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #6

Same for tarps. I buy the cheap HF tarps, and they're good for about one season. They are a lot less expensive than covers, but may be prone to rub the RV a little more in wind.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover