Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2022, 07:50 PM   #15

Lightbulb proceeding pro se

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS950 View Post
Ok all you seasoned truck camper folks, I have question. Here in our park are some folks with an older Lance camper. It is off the truck sitting on the jack's. The front end of the camper is at least 8 - 10 inches higher than the back end. You can see the slope visually. The owner says that is the way the previous owner told him how to set it up. It seems like it would be extremely uncomfortable to live in and hard on the fridge. Please tell me that this not the way it should be setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
yeah I never heard that one and I owned three campers, the last being a rather large and well equipped Amerigo Snap-n-nap w/ side entry door. I always kept my campers level and can think of no reason, other than maybe a rather extreme water leak, to have the thing tipped back like that. Of course its been a couple decades so maybe things have changed.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLex View Post
If he's got a Dometic/Norcold absorption refrigerator, he's going to damage the fridge by having it so off level for protracted periods of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Check the roof for condition. May be a leak somewhere forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworker414 View Post
I have owned 3 TC's, years ago. 2 were very large. Side door entry. They were my MOST FAVORITE campers. When I had them off the truck in a cg, I would raise the front maybe 1" to keep the condensate from the a/c running off the back. 8/10" high seems extreme to me. I will raise the front like I used to, maybe 1".
Sometime this spring or summer we are going to buy a Lance 1172, large, side door entry for our travels. We leave our 40' 5er on our snowbird site in central FL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjohn62 View Post
Sometimes it could be handy to raise the front slightly to keep the camper from toppling forward with weight in the cab over area. Not sure if this is necessary depending on camper model and Cg location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
Unless you are storing sand bags in your cab over bed or the ground is soft, there is no concern of the camper falling forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
I'm new to owning a TC but When I unload in my driveway I was told by lance to keep my front end 4" higher then the rear. My driveway has a 4" elevation difference. Lance said if ground is uneven always keep the front higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Thats pretty much standard for all campers. I keep mine about 2 nose high of level when loading or unloading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
I can see the front being high while LOADING and UNLOADING but while at a CG I would lower it for easy in and out but would want my bed level or a smidge head high but not 8 inches high.
If they are still around you might inquire a bit with them, maybe the floor is level, but like others assume I believe they misunderstood something along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsutherland View Post
Reading this thread I noted that unlevel conditions can cause failure of the refrigerator. I have an older 5er with a Dometic refrigerator that is lately performing poorly. It is seldom used and when parked/stored without refrigerator running I raise the front end all the way up. So, will grossly unlevel hurt the fridge if not running? Thanks all!
Hello fellow RVers,
I have a funny feeling that I'm the subject of this post. Please allow me the decency to defend myself via this great RV forum.

First off To be blunt... The 8-10" high in the front is an exaggeration by the OP. Never have I positioned the front that high. However, I will give the benefit of appearance to the OP in that the Truck Camper is one of the shortest RV's & it can "Look" out of balance very easily with not much front height.

The TC during that visit, the OP is referring to, was about 4" higher in the front. Lance says "Slightly Higher" in the front & I've got in the habit of doing no more than 2" in the front and as a matter of fact the OP might of even been able to see me using a measuring tape the last time we were there, at the park, to double check the difference from front to back. Just to clarify that the Lance booklet in my camper has been the ONLY source for me regarding tc heights & none from the previous owner (bought from a dealer).

As for our "Comfort" level... We are perfectly happy with our decisions & learning curves. In short... I do what the boss (wife) tells me to do for comfort & she wasn't complaining about it being "Too High".

I expected our presence in a truck camper to get people's attention but never thought we'd have a topic started about us.

I think we all need to remember that just b/c something might appear different or out of place doesn't grant it being "Wrong" or "owner inexperience". I know some people that do things in their RV that would make someone's head scratch BUT they are doing it b/c of Health reasons etc. So a bit of understanding can go a long way instead of thinking "What an idiot".

I understand the OP curiosity over our TC Spectacle & don't fault them over it. Perhaps they were genuinely concerned or just wanted to learn what others take on it was (to not make the same mistake themselves). But I think as long as it's a general inquiry regarding do's & don'ts it's how we all learn from one another.

I can certainly appreciate some of you posters that understand Lance's position (pun intended) on TC position Heights. Thx

To the OP: We're "Winter" neighbors & if you have good intentions we're happy to share any information you want to know. Matter of fact I think we've done exactly that in our discussions.

By the way, Fridge is now 28 years old & keeping the beer cold!

You know the old adage: believe 50% of what you see, half of what you hear, & there are 2 sides to every story!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LanceHeight.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	376172  
HiPayload is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2022, 07:18 AM   #16

YUP, lets just camp.
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsutherland View Post
Reading this thread I noted that unlevel conditions can cause failure of the refrigerator. I have an older 5er with a Dometic refrigerator that is lately performing poorly. It is seldom used and when parked/stored without refrigerator running I raise the front end all the way up. So, will grossly unlevel hurt the fridge if not running? Thanks all!
When the fridge is turned off, it doesn't matter how unlevel the camper is. Being level only matters when the fridge is running.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworker414 View Post
YUP, lets just camp.
I Couldn't agree more...
Unfortunately, it should come as no surprise that this particular individual has "Complained" about my set up on multiple occasions. I suppose some people would have such a boring "full time" lifestyle that it's occupied by ridiculing others "set-ups".

Mind you this is the same individual that came over to inform me that I can be sued for being overweight in an accident. All while ignoring I'm at legal plated weight in my state. It's the equivalent of telling someone to not eat yellow snow. Everyone knows you can be sued for anything in america.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Thats pretty much standard for all campers. I keep mine about 2 nose high of level when loading or unloading.
^^^ Agreed!
When I took delivery of my 2018 TC the dealer mentioned to keep the front of the camper a few degrees higher than the back.

I soon learned that the best way to adjust it was a tad nose high and left side low so condensate from the AC running (or rain) drains off the roof to the utility side of the camper.

That is few degrees nose high... Not several inches.
Just saying.
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 05:49 PM   #20

HiPayload: It looks to me like the manual you copied mentions loading and unloading. I don't see where it refers to storage or usage off the truck. If your refer is 28 years old and still working, by all means keep doing what you are. But it does sound as if you feel you know all you need to know. I have no idea how likely it would be that you could be sued for being overloaded. But I do know your legal plated weight has nothing to do with your load carrying capacity. Sounds like it may be a long winter in the RV park for the two of you.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:39 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
HiPayload: But it does sound as if you feel you know all you need to know. I have no idea how likely it would be that you could be sued for being overloaded. But I do know your legal plated weight has nothing to do with your load carrying capacity. Sounds like it may be a long winter in the RV park for the two of you.
Is it "Normal" camp behavior to have a camper come over & tell you that you can be sued w/o knowing the numbers?

Some people think that others have not already thought about these issues.
As for me... I'm under GVWR for my truck, & a scale ticket to prove it, so where does that put me?

My winters are the same length every year. I don't know exactly where the OP stands but I have a good understanding. As I've said on here already I'm willing to talk about anything the OP would like. Is that not good enough for OP? I don't know.. I don't feel as if I've done wrong but OP would have some believe I've done several things wrong. Life's too short for all that bs & that's why I'm still on here offering my peace.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:27 PM   #22

I can't, for the life of me, understand why this topic has gone on for so long, and not been removed. I see no edifying content from its 2 pages now....
87_Alpine10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87_Alpine10 View Post
I can't for the life of me, understand why this topic has gone on for so long, and not been removed. I see no edifying content from its 2 pages now....
Hmm...
I'm kinda' thinking your comment above was pretty cool for this place.
It's well known in other forums that camaraderie, humor, or idle chit-chat are scorned upon by the overlords here.

Happy Camping & thanks for the topic derail.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:42 PM   #24
laj

To funny electro
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87_Alpine10 View Post
I can't, for the life of me, understand why this topic has gone on for so long, and not been removed. I see no edifying content from its 2 pages now....
Eh from a growth mind set there is a story... there are at least 2 sides to the story.

1 is asking if the way someone is setup is normal and correct or if they are missing something and or if the person setup is wrong some how.
...... Good to ask Questions in my book

Another person thinks they are the person in Question, maybe maybe not small world ... may have a camper WAY to big for a truck, zero date provided to prove or disprove this... told they could maybe be sued .. Everyone gets sued these days for just about any reason so why not.

And then there is the rest of us enjoying the

The biggest thing I have learned is sometimes the delivery of something isn't taken well, Questions sometimes sound negative when in reality it's just a question. People take info and run with it.. could be ok or bad. I suspect both the OP and the person in Q could learn and teach if they were - are willing to.

I agree loading and unloading slight nose high 1-3 inches is better as you know your going to clear backing under, rear may touch first when you do drop it to help anchor it... Camping mode I like as level as possible and maybe a slight tilt bubble touching to curb side to help the shower drain and if front to rear has to be off it is nose high only as my head will be higher than my feet, but again 1/8 of a bubble and or near as flat as can be achieved without too much fuss...

It's all good can't wait till I go camping again.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
Eh from a growth mind set there is a story... there are at least 2 sides to the story.

1 is asking if the way someone is setup is normal and correct or if they are missing something and or if the person setup is wrong some how.
...... Good to ask Questions in my book

Another person thinks they are the person in Question, maybe maybe not small world ... may have a camper WAY to big for a truck, zero date provided to prove or disprove this... told they could maybe be sued .. Everyone gets sued these days for just about any reason so why not.

And then there is the rest of us enjoying the

The biggest thing I have learned is sometimes the delivery of something isn't taken well, Questions sometimes sound negative when in reality it's just a question. People take info and run with it.. could be ok or bad. I suspect both the OP and the person in Q could learn and teach if they were - are willing to.

I agree loading and unloading slight nose high 1-3 inches is better as you know your going to clear backing under, rear may touch first when you do drop it to help anchor it... Camping mode I like as level as possible and maybe a slight tilt bubble touching to curb side to help the shower drain and if front to rear has to be off it is nose high only as my head will be higher than my feet, but again 1/8 of a bubble and or near as flat as can be achieved without too much fuss...

It's all good can't wait till I go camping again.
To be clear the onus is on OP to prove or disprove their bold claim about me being overweight to be sued. I'm not making those suit claims. If you make bold claims then you must provide the facts. That's the way it works. I would love for the OP to jump back in here to see their position.

I can however go ahead & communicate my position. I can tell you that my camper is not WAY too big & that I'm not over any of my truck weights! GVWR, GAWR, GCWR none zero zilch. If I would be sued they, the other party, would lose. Period! I'm not worried about it but I did think it ads to this topic started by the OP as that is what they came up to say to me w/o seeing any weights.

I'm not going to go up to other campers & claim they "Could be" sued. I don't think most here would do that sort of thing. Does the OP "Want" to understand me by coming on here & talking to us... well, I haven't seen them here so... I'm here to challenge their claims regardless.

The OP has came to me to state what I should & shouldn't be doing with my setup. This is NOT just b/c they posted this question... It's the whole situation It's doesn't surprise me that I've found this person posting about us online. It's not just this question posted here It's the OTHER things you all didn't hear or see from OP that compelled me to come on here.

It is a small world & you/I know that...

I can't wait to go camping either but then you run into people like OP that just wants to rag on other peoples rigs b/c you know "Their" way is the "Right" way.

I have the mindset that there are all sorts of camper people & like to "ENJOY" seeing others setups. We like to just do our thing but others seem to have their OWN plan for YOU..
Old 09-25-2022, 06:32 PM   #27

Man, I absolutely LOVE payload threads!

And FWIW I'm over my...
rear GAWR,
my GVWR,
my posted payload rating,
my tire rim's weight rating,
my registration weight of 12,300 pounds,
and my camper certificate rating.

While the rig "feels" safe it would be considered a rolling death-trap in a court of law.
I am not proud of it but as a stop-gap measure I have a rabbits foot on my key-fob and a set of rosary beads draped over the rear-view mirror.

So far no problems.
But if you see this widow-maker rolling down the highway dont say I didnt warn you.

I have a 3500 but I know for a fact that plenty of people put this same camper on 3/4 ton trucks!
Thanks.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:33 PM   #28
laj

Missing the weight police are we now
Rides good tho
laj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, leveling