Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #1

Camper Striking Truck Roof

I've been using my truck camper combo for several years now with no problems but this spring something changed. The camper started striking the cab roof every time the truck went over an expansion joint in the road. Long story short. Turns out the 2 forward cross frame rails rusted out & disintegrated under the weight of the camper. While the outside of my truck is clean of rust I hadn't realized salt & sand from winter roads gets thrown into the open end of the box rails and rusted them out. Since I was already on the road, and unable to stop for extensive repairs, I lifted the camper up a couple of inches & placed 2"x 8" boards between the bed and camper for the needed extra clearance & got back on the road. I'm now in the process of replacing all 5 rails on the 8' bed so I can get back to camping. Make sure you periodically check the condition of those rails. The most obvious indication that the rails are crushed will be the vertical miss alignment of the truck cab/box body lines.
Axiomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2021, 04:30 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

What year is the truck and camper? You must live where they salt the roads...
Old 05-27-2021, 05:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshore View Post
Welcome to the forum.

What year is the truck and camper? You must live where they salt the roads...
2008 F350 Crew Cab Diesel 120K miles. I do use it to plow snow but the body is clean, no visible body rust. The truck is in perfect mechanical condition.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:46 AM   #4

Welcome to IRV2!

Salt will sure do the damage…

My other truck camper would hit the top of my truck if I didn’t put wood underneath the camper… I used three 2x4’s going across my bed… Front, middle and back.

Lucky my new camper that I just bought doesn’t hit the top of my cab.
Diesel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:12 AM   #5

I think this might have been a common problem with the 2008 Super Duty Trucks. I had a 2008 F450 diesel dually, which I think was the very first one built that year. 2008 was the first year Ford offered the F450 with the truck bed as standard & the first year the King Ranch was offered in the F450. Mine was built in Dec./2006 & was driven by a Ford employee for the first year. After 9 years & 175K miles, I discovered, just as I was trading it in, that two of the under bed rails had cracked & separated, Thus weakening the bed structure. The last year I owned it, I had been hearing a cracking or popping sound when I accelerated forward & assumed it was just the play in the connection of the king pin area of the hitch. Now I realize it was the truck bed frame actually flexing from the broken under bed rails. The truck only spent 2 of it's 9 years in snowy winter conditions where salt would have been a problem. I had 4500lbs king pin weight & an extra 800lbs of gear in the truck bed including the hitch weight.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #6

I'm in Minnesota and I see a lot of early super dutys with the front of the bed dropped onto the frame from rust.
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:08 PM   #7

It seems that if you live in a state with winter weather it would be advisable to get a new truck every 5 or 6 years. Youtube has a number of channels relating to auto mechanics in northern states and most of the late model stuff they work on is clapped out from corrosion.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:55 PM   #8

Yep, foothills of the Catskill Mtns. upstate NY. They salt roads heavy round here and didn't help cause I use my truck camping truck as a plow truck as well.

Tags
camper, roof