Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2020, 05:26 PM   #1

Camper Weight

Hi all,

I’m currently looking at a 2020 Lance 1172. The dry weight is listed as 4174 lbs. I’ll also be pulling a small 6x10 trailer (motorcycle and a few other things). I’m guessing the tongue weight to be approximately 150lbs. From what I’ve read it looks like wet and loaded I’ll be close to the payload limit with the trailer. Do you guys think I’m good to go or should I look at a lighter camper?

Thanks,
Rick

2019 Ram 3500 DRW 4WD CTD HO
4:10 air ride
5200 lbs. Payload
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2020, 05:10 AM   #2

Rick--

I have the 1172 in my sig.........Don't believe for a minute that 4174 lbs is what it weighs sitting on the lot.......That is factory weight, stripped, without anything such as batteries, or any other options that either the factory or the dealer install.......With standard options and some water, clothes, food you will be over 5000 lbs....

I am about 14.5K GVWR very lightly loaded.....I am fine on tires/rear end....With these heavy campers on any F350 suspension mods are almost a given..ie stableloads, air bags, etc.......Just depends on the truck.....Took me a few trips to dial it in ......Your newer truck might be different.....

Suggestion: if you get it and pull the trailer also, get a Supertruss hitch/tow bar......You will need a 48" long tow bar, the Supertruss is built to take the weight, both the lateral weight and downward force......

There is a ton of info on the Lance Owners Forum ref the 1172 and what experiences people have had loading it on a 350.....
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1209 View Post
Rick--

I have the 1172 in my sig.........Don't believe for a minute that 4174 lbs is what it weighs sitting on the lot.......That is factory weight, stripped, without anything such as batteries, or any other options that either the factory or the dealer install.......With standard options and some water, clothes, food you will be over 5000 lbs....

I am about 14.5K GVWR very lightly loaded.....I am fine on tires/rear end....With these heavy campers on any F350 suspension mods are almost a given..ie stableloads, air bags, etc.......Just depends on the truck.....Took me a few trips to dial it in ......Your newer truck might be different.....

Suggestion: if you get it and pull the trailer also, get a Supertruss hitch/tow bar......You will need a 48" long tow bar, the Supertruss is built to take the weight, both the lateral weight and downward force......

There is a ton of info on the Lance Owners Forum ref the 1172 and what experiences people have had loading it on a 350.....
Thanks for the reply Steve. I do have the factory air ride and planned on adding a Helwig sway bar.

I'll check out the Lance owners forum, I didn't know there was one. I checked out an AF 1140 today which at first glance is a little lighter. Decisions, decisions.

Rick
Old 02-23-2020, 08:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
Hi all,
I’m currently looking at a 2020 Lance 1172.
Thanks,
Rick

2019 Ram 3500 DRW 4WD CTD HO
4:10 air ride
5200 lbs. Payload
Greetings Riley1,
Please let us know how that factory Air Ride works out for you.
I be fascinated to see how it reacts to even the slightest over-payload situation.
Good luck & Happy Camping!
-Jake-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:41 AM   #5
laj

on my ‘16 it worked great. went over their bs #’s several lbs. and no problem leveling. Didn’t get a lot of sway either. If i wanted new i would get it again. worth the money. jmo
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
on my ‘16 it worked great. went over their bs #’s several lbs. and no problem leveling. Didn’t get a lot of sway either. If i wanted new i would get it again. worth the money. jmo
When I bought my 3500 Longhorn I really wanted the factory Air Ride but chickened out before I put the order in so I didnt get it.

I'm glad it worked for you.
In theory it seems like a really great system.
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #7
laj

I was skeptical but ordered it any way. really glad i did. i put over 5k in the bed and it worked flawlessly.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #8

I have a 2019 3500, I have a Host Mammoth, it works great you will know it's back there. I chose to not order the airbags. I was told when you put the weight on them it bounces from sisde to side. I have the Helwig sway bar and stable loads upper and lower. When my tires wear out I will go to 19.5 steel wheels and good tires.

I'm waiting for Helwig or someone to come out with extra springs to raise it 3 inches so it is level. The ride when the camper is off is ok, I know the springs will make it worse but I care about the ride when I have 5400 lbs on my back and towing my trailer or my boat.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #9

Also have you looked at Host, we liked the 1172 also but liked the Host even better.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:28 PM   #10

Yeah, I would not buy a lance. The DW and I looked at them at our local dealer and every model they had on the lot had something wrong with them from water leaking from the roof to doors that would not close to thing just falling off after touching them. Ever since the Rev group bought them in 2018 quality has been lacking. Another big corporation gobbling up a smaller successful company with a great reputation for a quality products and turning them in to crap.
RickyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #11

Yep, I've pretty much eliminated Lance (quality) unless it's a screaming good deal. I made an offer on one which was rejected. The shower stall was cracked in a couple of places on top.

I told the dealer I would have to have a crazy good deal so I could justify patching the cracks and leaving it as is. After I heard from some others how much of the camper would have to come apart to get the stall out and the new one in under warranty I lost interest in that one real fast.

Rick
Old 04-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssgritton View Post
Also have you looked at Host, we liked the 1172 also but liked the Host even better.
The Host Cascade is on my short list.

Rick
Old 05-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #13

Definitely get the stable load rubber blocks from torklift they are adjustable so when you air up the airbags n lift the frame off of your helper springs theses blocks adjust to add weight to your helpers other wise it’s riding on the air bags which will make you sway. First hand experience brought my Chalet ts116 triple slide home without n now with I don’t even have a sway bar to this day or should but it’s fine for me lots of miles up n down coast ny to the keys Cummins 3500 duality I have the airlift in cab wireless adjustable bags they are great can adjust for different loads I tow lots behind Woodmizer sawmill etc 20’ equipment trailer with some big loads,never scaled it but talked to the gentleman that designed this camper n it’s way over 5000lbs By the way we had money in a 1172 had all wiring installed by lance dealer n found problems with it n didn’t buy the lance n found my Chalet love it good luck they all need some attention now n then!

Tags
camper, weight