RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #1

Campers for smaller half ton trucks

Thinking seriously of getting a half ton truck with a camper. I know this limits options tremendously for finding a camper, but I want something for better gas mileage, a bit smaller on the road, etc. I will often be traveling solo but hubby and I will also use it going back and forth to snowbird location and home. 1. Iím interested in hearing from others who have had the small campers and any comments or feedback. Please include truck and camper that you have/had. 2. Also interested in any info on what brands have a camper for a half ton truck. Iím just starting to research. I know Lance has a 650.

Thanks very much.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #2

If your asking about a truck camper then please forget the idea. 1500 series trucks simply dont have the capacity to load a camper with even minimal supplies and two people. Heck even the lightest pop top campers will weigh about a thousand pounds, add 450 for two bodies and a couple hundred for supplies and you just run out of capacity.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:40 PM   #3

LA Gulf Coast Campers
www.capricamper.com
Old 05-12-2020, 05:52 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
What does a truck camper weigh? The current payload in 1500 series is between 1500 lbs and 2500lbs...

When i went from a 1500 gmc sierra to a 2500 ram, i picked up a payload of 3400lbs and i actually get better fuel mileage...21 on the highway and it is a gasser...6.4l hemi.

If it is really for snowbirding and the occasional outing...could you do it in a conversion van?
Old 05-12-2020, 06:17 AM   #5

We bought a Sun Valley pop-up truck camper in 2007, they went belly up in 2008. We loved that camper, used it all the time. Easy to drop off the bed at the campground if we needed the truck for sight-seeing or to launch the boat. Sometimes we also pulled a 5x8 utility trailer with our Aprilla scooter on it or our 20' Hurricane deck boat. Used it with our 2005 then 2008 Silverado crew cab. The TC weighed 1125 lbs.

We always asked to be put near the bath house at campgrounds as it had no toilet (had a place for a porta-potty) or shower.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
...1500 series trucks simply dont have the capacity to load a camper with even minimal supplies and two people...
I must disagree. Youíll hear a lot of this, but a half ton with airbags and load rated tires can handle a properly weighted TC no problem. Iím hauling a 2006 Pastime at 1700lbs dry. I tow my 18í fiberglass boat which has a very light tongue weight. With 50lbs in the bags, thereís no sag and minimal sway. The weight for stopping is way under my max towing, Iím probably about 6k combined.

Half tons can do it if you spend the money getting them set up. My 2015 Tundra is a beast. Had a 2500 duramax for years and it did great but it wasnít night and day.
Hi-Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Laker View Post
I must disagree. Youíll hear a lot of this, but a half ton with airbags and load rated tires can handle a properly weighted TC no problem. Iím hauling a 2006 Pastime at 1700lbs dry. I tow my 18í fiberglass boat which has a very light tongue weight. With 50lbs in the bags, thereís no sag and minimal sway. The weight for stopping is way under my max towing, Iím probably about 6k combined.

Half tons can do it if you spend the money getting them set up. My 2015 Tundra is a beast. Had a 2500 duramax for years and it did great but it wasnít night and day.

Sorry, encouraging someone to overload their vehicle is just asking for trouble. Just because you do it does not make it legal or safe. Besides that your opening yourself up to all sorts of legal problems should the OP decide to follow your advise and god forbid injure or kill someone. You can never tell what some lawyers will do.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:18 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Google Pop UP truck camper plenty of options out there.
The pop up would be best bet on that small of a truck IMO.
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #9

Most 1t SRW trucks are the same physical dimensions as 1/2t trucks. You will loose on fuel economy because the frame and components are much heavier grade, but you will gain in camper choices. 1/2t camper choices will be spartan and probably only the F150 HD in 2wd will have sufficient capacity to not be over ratings.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #10

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I have a 2017 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4 and my pay load is 1957 lbs.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Sorry, encouraging someone to overload their vehicle is just asking for trouble. Just because you do it does not make it legal or safe. Besides that your opening yourself up to all sorts of legal problems should the OP decide to follow your advise and god forbid injure or kill someone. You can never tell what some lawyers will do.
So letís play this out: they now go out and buy a truck and camper, the makes and models of which they have not provided to me, and they overload it. They then have an accident whereby the cause of loss is being overweight. Not following too close, not failure to yield, not speed too fast for conditions, just being overloaded. The person they hit, letís call them the plaintiff, sues them and me, or the defendant files a cross-claim bringing me into the lawsuit because on an online forum I said half ton pickups can handle a camper. I then have to pay the plaintiff money because I encouraged the defendant, or co-defendant, to go for it? I would have myself dismissed before the ink on the lawsuit is dry.

They need to take personal responsibility for what they buy and what they load it with. I donít live in fear. In fact, I went outside today and didnít wear a mask.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
I agree with you! Even mentions minimal sway... what!?!? I have ZERO sway towing with my ram 2500.. Adding helpers such as airbags DOES NOT change the payload rating or how much you can carry. I dont understand why so many people want to be unsafe with minimal equipment and put others in danger as well! I seen an idiot with a Toyota Highlander towing a trailer and the bumper was barley off the ground, stupid is the only word!
RvRyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPRam View Post
I have a 2017 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4 and my pay load is 1957 lbs.
Ouch. My 2019 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi 4x4 has 3,180. We use approximately 2k of that.
RvRyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvRyan View Post
Ouch. My 2019 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi 4x4 has 3,180. We use approximately 2k of that.
I would take that diesel with less payload over a gas dodge any day of the week. The weight of the diesel reduces the payload. In 10 years you wonít be able to give your truck away and that diesel will go for more than asking....

And yes, MINIMAL SWAY!! Drive a Tundra with airbags and10-ply tires before you call people out. I drive slow and easy. Itís far from a highlander pulling a trailer. The ratings are so you donít sue the manufacturer. Oh wait, I just turned on the news and there was yet another fatal accident where being overweight was the cause. God, this is so common. Theyíre dropping like flies!!

Tags
camper