RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #15

I Understand

Hi Rob;

I have been in your shoes with regard to being angry, mad, lied to and most of all, being ripped off. And worse yet, the seller had been deceitful.

But in all honesty, I had not done my due diligence; something that I will not let happen again. And I had to learn that anger was a punishment that I was giving myself for someone else's wrong doing.

Now that I am on the other side, I had to admit that the problem was mine, that I didn't know what to look for. And I had to get smart; that's when I found this forum. Believe me when I say that this forum is ABSOLUTELY the best one out there PERIOD! Yes, you will find others, but none come close to the in-depth discussions and honesty that you will find here. (And no, I have no affiliation with IRV2 what so ever)

What am I trying to say? Don't let your anger and frustration get the best of you. Not making your payments to the credit union is, as my Momma use to say "like cutting off your nose to spite your face."

When this group offers advice (and some of it may make you angry at the time because the wound is still fresh) don't take your ball and bat and go home. Instead, hang around and see what wisdom is offered. After I made my mistake, this group tactfully pointed out what I could have done different and even offered some solutions; one of which wound up saving me a lot of money.

if you read with an open mind, you will discover that this group genuinely has your best interest at heart. You will also learn a WHOLE lot about your RV and how it can be used even with it's disadvantages.

So do yourself a favor, come back to the forum and I promise you that you will learn much from the collective wisdom that this group has to offer. I know I did!

Many blessings to you Rob!

ron - A.K.A. Maddog11capt

Maddog11capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
True, the president of Northwood is probably the first one to bail in times like these.

As for my credit rating, it's already becoming crap because of this mess. I'm already going to be losing 2-3 other things, so might as well go for broke.

But truth is, I'm so fed up with this POS that I want it gone if not fixed by EOM. And if it IS fixed by EOM and runs FLAWLESSLY, it's still history as soon as something else comes out that is just as good or better. Waiting on that new Cirrus 920 that's due out in about a year.
I can't grasp how you having a problem with a truck camper can cause you to loose 2-3 other things. Have you spent a ton of money on this camper?
I know in my state if the bank reposes something they will sell it for the highest bid. If they don't get the amount owed on something the owner of the reposesed item will be liable for the difference to the bank. You don't just walk away.
Good luck buying that Cirrus 920 with a poor credit background.
Hang tight until you can discuss this with the factory and try to get things ironed out. Get it fixed, sell it or trade it in. You'll loose a lot less than letting it go back to the Credit Union. It might not make your Lawyer too happy though.
My neighbor has his third "Arctic Fox" truck camper and he has loved everyone of them.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #17

I agree, quite a lot of agitation but perhaps understandable in these times. Do the best you can and hope that some of the bail out $ makes its way down the food chain to us. Moving forward, RVs, boats, 4 wheelers etc all are toys. Not everyone is in a position to own every toy. Best of luck!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #18

If I spend $30k or more on anything new, I expect it to work as designed. I should not have to create a punch list to tell someone to fix things. I understand his frustration. Not everyone is a repair person. Or wants to learn to be.

It is best for me to purchase used for most things. I know that dealers are merely middle tier trying to make a profit in the flow of things. I usually just deal with sale by owners.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:59 PM   #19

Four Season Camper

Rob,
I have been there and done that! (Not defaulting on credit.) I did ultimately succeed in getting the biggest issue and a couple of small issue fixed. Many other issues I fixed myself. They were less work to fix myself than to get warranty claim coverage.

By the way I found out the hard way that "Four Season" has no legally defined definition.
This was my first "All Season" with "Enclosed and heated underbelly". I tested it in my driveway when temps dropped bellow freezing at night. It took two hours for the kitchen water pipe through the belly to freeze solid.

I live in Wisconsin and bought my Dutchman Kodiak TT in Illinois. The manufacturer is in Indiana. I tried to work with the dealer. No joy. I tried to work with the manufacture's help line. Again no joy. I tried to return the TT to the dealer. It's only use had been in my driveway. Again no joy.

I called and/or wrote more than a dozen lawyers and company CEO's. Three lawyers called back to say they cannot or would not help. I got no response from the other nine.

I wrote to the Wisconsin Attorney General who maintains a website for that specific purpose. Again no joy. The Federal lemon law does not apply to RV's or TT's.
"The pen is mightier than the sword." I wrote to a journalist for the Wisconsin State Journal. He asked some relevant questions and contacted the dealer. The dealer called me back 48 hours later and said there must be some misunderstanding. Of course they would do what ever it takes satisfy me.

In the end I had to do a substantial amount of the work myself, but the dealer service shop did the hard parts.
In the last two years we have winter camped in Wisconsin several times. The hard part is finding an open dump station.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #20
laj

Several things: Did you buy it new, who if any is the dealer for AF in your area if not bought new. If bought new where is the dealer you bought it from in the mix. Usually most people go there first. If no dealer help i would take it to a AF dealer, have it fixed, ya you might have to pay up front, document everything in triplicate, send those repairs , certified mail requiring a return receipt, and signature to AF with a request , for them to cover, then give them 30 days to respond, either directly or the dealer doing the repairs.

More likely then not they will cover. If not you now have a legal case to proceed with. Now that your that pissed off, and frustrated i would look at trading it off, start a new history, but above all as has been suggested, do your homework, and above all, ask questions here. Their not selling you anything, just trying to help. If a salesmanís lips are moving, heís lying. His job is to get your money.

Everyone down the line has your money, they loose nothing, only you.
Just remember all of this is worth exactly what you paid for it
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #21

I don't agree with post above that blame the buyer for not doing due diligence. When a manufacture and/or dealer promises something, that is a contract. Law and common law going back centuries apply.

The problem is legal processes cost huge amounts and take decades to process. This means civil justice is only for the wealthy.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
"The pen is mightier than the sword." I wrote to a journalist for the Wisconsin State Journal. He asked some relevant questions and contacted the dealer. The dealer called me back 48 hours later and said there must be some misunderstanding. Of course they would do what ever it takes satisfy me.

In the end I had to do a substantial amount of the work myself, but the dealer service shop did the hard parts.
In the last two years we have winter camped in Wisconsin several times. The hard part is finding an open dump station.
Good thinking. I'm a retired journalist and several times had the opportunity to get someone's attention for a disgruntled consumer. It works! No one likes "bad press."
Old 03-24-2020, 07:51 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We all understand the frustrations of warranty issues. But if the OP will notice on the internet, many plants are shutting down due to the COVID19 and the issue of employee safety. More than likely the plant is shut down and they may or maynot be checking for emails.

Lighten up and let this virus blow over and the world start returning to normal state.

Ken
Old 03-24-2020, 08:08 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I also read over the list of complaints.
1. Our Bounder had a very low pile carpet on the interior ceiling throughout the entire coach - including the bathroom. I think it was more for sound deadening & an extremely thin insulation. We owned it for 13 years & never once had an issue with it staying moist in the bath. Never once saw mildew. But then, we ran the Fantastic Fan & we also left the door open (so long as we didn't have guests) when using the shower.
2. Mfr's NEVER seem to put thermostats in an appropriate place. The Bounder's (as well as the sensor) for the front of the coach was directly across from a very large window on a narrow hallway that always managed to be on the sunny side. The heat transfer from that window (even with the night shade down) was so much that we had to set the T-stat to 90 in order to not freeze out if the AC was on or to 60 to keep from cookin you if the heat was needed.
3. Depending on how cold it is outside, yes the furnace will run constantly. These things aren't sealed airtight & even with the best of insulation, they're not going to be as warm as in a S&B. We all know to use space heaters to supplement the propane or you'll run out darned fast.
4. We did have a heat duct in our Bounder bathroom. Ironically, we had to leave the door OPEN in the winter to let the heat OUT. You shut the door for too long while in there & it'd quickly turn into a slow cooker. In the member's case, leave the door open to let heat in or Amazon sells these tiny space heaters that plug into an outlet. They put out a good amount of heat for a small space.
5. Agreed that writing the company while the country is in the midst of a pandemic, most likely, won't get addressed because they are probably closed. A phone call would confirm that.
6. Lemon laws rarely apply to RV's. As previously posted, the OP would have to have a laundry list of dates & lengths of times the RV was out of service for repairs at a dealership or mfr, as well as documented correspondence showing attempts to get the issues fixed, to even get the attn of a lawyer. Maybe he has that for an RV he's owned 6 months. Would be informative to know.

All those items, while frustrating, can be dealt with. He lists a Raptor in his sig, so the issues RV's have can't be a surprise. The OP sounds too upset to want to deal with them. In that case, my advice is to sell it (even if a short sale) rather than ruin a credit score.

I wish him all the best & hope he can get out from under it. This is not worth getting so worked up about.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #25

I think OP may have dropped his load and left.

ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote