Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2020, 09:15 AM   #1

Disappointment and disgust with Northwood Mfg (Arctic Fox)

Just over a week ago (March 16th), I sent an email to Craig Orton, the president of Northwood Manufacturing -- the company behind Arctic Fox, Nash and other RV brands.

It was a fairly long, but polite letter, detailing the problems I've had with my 2019 Arctic Fox 992 that I bought last September (particularly the fridge), and illustrated how their quality control pretty much sucks.

While I was at it, I pointed out various design flaws, such as roof carpet in the BATHROOM where it can get soaked by moisture from the shower; the location of the thermostat relative to the heating ducts, so you have to set the temp 10-15 deg higher than usual to keep the camper warm; the fact that as a 4-season-designed camper, you will still freeze your butt off if the furnace isn't running at all times; that there is no heat ducted into the bathroom so it's absolutely FREEZING in there; the list goes on.

I also took the time to point out the things that I very much liked about the camper.

As of today, I've received no response at all. Nothing. And I don't think I ever will. I genuinely believe that they honestly don't give a rat's ass about the customer once they have their money.

I'm on the verge of letting the credit union have the thing back I'm so fed up and disgusted. I've owned this thing for six months and have had only two trips in it. And only one of those two trips was with a properly functioning fridge. Likewise, Norcold doesn't seem to give a crap either, as they take their own sweet time to get replacement parts sent out.

I'm done making payments on something I can't use.
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #2

Quick followup: I have contacted an attorney about a possible (but unlikely, I'm sure) Lemon Law filing, and also emailed Good Sam. I doubt either will help, but at least I can say I tried everything.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #3

Have you considered the plant might be shut down or they are shorthanded due to the virus threat in our nation? I'd give it time before I risked my own credit rating for a reason out of someone's control.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Have you considered the plant might be shut down or they are shorthanded due to the virus threat in our nation? I'd give it time before I risked my own credit rating for a reason out of someone's control.
This^^ was my thought as I read through your post, especially since you mentioned the date the letter was sent.

I also agree that you should not risk your credit status over this by stopping payment on your loan. Everything you describe, outside of the design flaws, are common failures on some newer RVs, along with the long wait times for repairs--either under warranty or not. You (we) are in a unique time and expectations of repairs, timely or not, should be put aside for a while.

Regarding the Lemon Law, from what you've posted, there doesn't seem to be any grounds to file, even if your state does cover RVs. Most Lemon Laws require repeated repairs for the same fault in order for the vehicle to be considered. Your lawyer will know more, but I wouldn't put too much hope in a legal resolution, at least with the information you've provided to date.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:17 AM   #5

True, the president of Northwood is probably the first one to bail in times like these.

As for my credit rating, it's already becoming crap because of this mess. I'm already going to be losing 2-3 other things, so might as well go for broke.

But truth is, I'm so fed up with this POS that I want it gone if not fixed by EOM. And if it IS fixed by EOM and runs FLAWLESSLY, it's still history as soon as something else comes out that is just as good or better. Waiting on that new Cirrus 920 that's due out in about a year.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #6

go for the throat

I think your expectations were a little high for an Rv. The refirdg is likely an easy fix, research YouTube. Take the carpet out if your worried about it. Moving the thermostat will be useless in the size unit you have. Put a little ceramic heater in the bath and leave it on low, use a generator. Just roll with it ruining your credit to prove a point is not worth it. It will cost you more to hire an Attorney than a reputable RV repair company to fix your issues and move on.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #7

I guess everybody is missing the point. Nevermind, I won't post here again.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #8

What the heck is "roof carpet"?
Refers are bought and installed. While I personally dont like Norcold refers, its what Northwood uses. Its not Northwoods fault if it has failed. All they did was set it in place and connect it.
Thermostat in a bad place? Probably 95% of RVs built today are exactly the same, regardless of mfg. There is a limited amount of useable wall space. If you dont like its location, move it.
Rarely have I seen a heat duct in a bath room. Thats why you leave the door open.
Freezing in cold weather? All too common in an RV. Heck, at best you only have 2 inches of insulation in the walls. And with a probably 20K BTU furnace and very limited area the furace will have to run nearly constantly to keep up with the heat loss thru windows, doors etc.
Curious, is this your first RV?
Old 03-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #9

Why are you punishing the credit union. ( and yourself) the CU were nice enough to lend you the money but I'm sure they don't want your RV. I could be wrong.

A friend has a fox and is very happy with it. Mind you he is in Arizona.

A lot of businesses are closed right now including mine. This is costing me many thousands, so I suggest you give them a break.

Hope you get it resolved but it will take a while.

Carpet on the bathroom ceiling?
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:29 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Northwood, office and factory, is officially closed for the virus.

Lemmon Laws don’t apply to truck campers, travel trailers or motorhomes. They were written for cars not homes on wheels. Plus none of your issues are life threatening or prevent you from safely using the product which is what Lemmon Laws are designed to help.

You wrote the CEO a week ago and expect him to not only immediately respond, but agree with you that there are problems with the design of his product? And then “fix” them?

Wow.

I suggest you write the CEO of the World Health Organization and demand he fix this COVID-19 virus thing right now. Let us know if you don’t hear back this week.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
I guess everybody is missing the point. Nevermind, I won't post here again.
Really?? Maybe everyone is not missing the point. You bought this rig as is. The carpet was on the ceiling of the bath, the thermostat was on the wall, the bath had no heat register. 3 inches of ceiling insulation and 2 inches of wall insulation will not make this rig livable in anything but moderate temperatures without constant temperature conditioning from heating or cooling systems. Do you understand that 4-seasons means heated wet bay, not 70 degree inside temps in artic conditions or sweltering desert heat?

Your lack of research has bit you. It bites a lot of people. That is PRECISLY why iRV2 exists. THIS is the forum for that research. You trusted that smiling salesman, and you should have known of and expected their bias.

All is not lost. We're here to help. But this is where you are, we didn't put you there, you did. We can help you get to a better place, if you want.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
ANGRY

Ok, I get it Rob, your really angry. But to stop making payments to the CREDIT UNION??? How does that hurt Arctic Fox?

And then you see a few responses to your OP that don't go your way, your response is "I guess everybody is missing the point. Nevermind, I won't post here again." You gotta expect you will get a variety of opinion on a public forum...

I get your point. Your mad. You likely have a right to be. But don't let this define who you are or how it's going to effect your purchasing power in the future. It really sounds like the issues you voiced are very fixable.

Fix the issues and focus on the reasons why you purchased your truck camper in the first place and get out there and enjoy it. I hope you find peace......
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:11 PM   #13

The furnace is going to run regardless if its cold. Leave the door open on the bathroom to let heat in. Norcolds are norcolds they have issues but there fixable.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #14

The OP has been a member since 2000 but has only made 94 posts. Hummmm. I suspect he is really not a serious RVer or at least one that is unwilling to do his own mods and repairs. I think his expectations were too high for what he bought. Northwood is one of the best, but no one is perfect. EVERY RV built is going to be a compromise on some things. There is also going to be issues. Thats what warranties are for. Buyers remorse?