Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2002, 03:52 PM   #15
MD

What about a sewer elbow or sewer seal, do I need these items?

Mike
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2002, 03:54 AM   #16
Art

Boz,

Thanks for the picture and description of the clear dump extension. I see how it works now.

I have a tool which I use after I return home from a camping trip. It's a plastic pipe that attaches to my garden hose. One end has a cap with four holes that act as nozzeles. The other end has a fitting for the hose and a shut off/on control. It's about three feet long.

I attach it to my hose, and from my camper's bathroom, I hold open the toilet flush valve and insert the pipe tool into the black tank through the toilet. Then I turn on the water using the pipe's off/on control. I get jets of water in four directions that very effectively clean the sides of my black tank including the sensors.

I am careful to limit the amount of water I put into the black tank because I have to empty it into a large waste basket so I can dump it in the toilet in my house.

I found this tool at my local RV supply store - very satisfied with it. I just wish I could use it with my grey tank.

Here is a picture and description of the tool:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...fm?skunum=7622

1999 Lance 1130
1999 Dodge Ram 3500 QuadCAB 6x6 5.9L gas
Old Town Camp 12 foot 35 lb. canoe
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 01:54 PM   #17

I installed a Quickie Flush It keeps me from having to go inside the rig with a hose and stand over the toilet. You could install one on your gray tank if you wanted just as easily.

Tim and Marla
2001 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel
2500 QC/SB 4X4 Patriot Blue/Driftwood
Pulling 2000 Layton 26' Bunkhouse TT

2005 Ford F350 Diesel
The Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 02:21 PM   #18

It's in camping World, about $175. Attaches to the 3" black water holding tank outlet. Runs on 12v and requires no water source to operate. Grinds it all up and pumps it out through a 1" line.

Does anyone have experience with this device? Can it do any uphill pumping?

You probably won't approve of this, but I have often wished I had a macerator pump so I could pump my black water into the pit toilet of the campground i was staying in. Dump sites are not always available and the standard gravity sewer hose is not an option. And of course I never leave a mess. Never! The outhouse would be cleaner after i was done than befor. Do you think this is a bad thing to do?

Carl&Jan We are not camping! This is how we live 99 Hallmark Slide-in popup. 00 F350,PSD,4x4,Crew. 01 Arctic Fox 27F TT.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:22 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by boondocker:
You probably won't approve of this, but I have often wished I had a macerator pump so I could pump my black water into the pit toilet of the campground i was staying in. Dump sites are not always available and the standard gravity sewer hose is not an option. And of course I never leave a mess. Never! The outhouse would be cleaner after i was done than befor. Do you think this is a bad thing to do?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
In theory I'd say it is fine. But the problem would be abuse. If you arrived with an empty tank and only dumped what you used there, it would not seem that huge, but for the people that arrived with a full tank of 40-50 gallons, I could see that causing problems real fast. I have a feeling most responses will be against it.

Tim and Marla

2005 Ford F350 Diesel
Old 01-19-2002, 02:51 AM   #20

Here's one; any answers?

Last summer noticed that the "thin" plastic on the dump pipe (slinky) wore through to the metal wire spiral; leaking occcured. Happened in a couple of places; for a quick repair I used some silicon glue.

My pipes are about < 3 years old [new with the camper).

Anyone had this problem? Or, maybe I got a bad batch or a real cheapy set the day we picked up the camper.

Are there better pipes around, thicker plastic??...but will still compress for storage.

Thanks, IVE
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 04:34 AM   #21

New sewer hoses are not expensive. When they wear out don't mess around with it throw it away. You can buy them everywhere because they don't last forever.

A repair will not be affective for long if the hose is starting to get brittle. This insures that you will leak some on the ground. Multiply a little, times many campers and the next thread is about how unsanitary the RV parks.

Please throw it away.
T. K. Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 06:07 AM   #22

Thanks, yes, I plan on getting new ones for this 2002 season...but generally I am not crazy about living in a throw away society.

IVER
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 06:26 AM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by boondocker:

Does anyone have experience with this device? Can it do any uphill pumping?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Boondocker,
I used one on the old trailer.Mounted the pump on a board and used some sewer hookups to hook it all to the outlet on trailer.Had wires to hook to
battery..in other words it was kinda portable.It worked OK.I had the same idea as you but never did it.I am going to refine it a little and maybe mount it permanent on the new trailer.Mine has an outlet for 1"inch hose.I had trouble getting hose.I think 3/4 water hose woudld work.Gonna try it.
See www.phrannie.org/phredex.htm
He has some good info on Macerators....
Fuzz

Y2K Dodge 3500,4x4,Cummins,6spd,3.54RearEnd
275Injectors.Edge EZ
King Of The Road Royalite 29ft
Travel with Crystal-BlueMerle Shelty.

2003 36'Travel Supreme 5er36RLQSO
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 08:21 AM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iver Duedall:
Are there better pipes around, thicker plastic??...but will still compress for storage.
Thanks, IVE<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They will all wear out eventually, but if you are using the free one you got from your dealer, you can do much better. I know mine is much thinner than some I've seen at RV places. Take a look around and you'll find varying degrees of quality (and of course price) for sewer dump hoses. Usually the better the quality, the less compact it becomes. So far my cheapy is holding up, but when it goes I'll decide then whether to replace it with another cheapy or a better quality one.

Tim and Marla

2005 Ford F350 Diesel
Old 01-19-2002, 09:34 PM   #25

I use the clear plastic back flusher, and it seems to work very well. Also for cleaning the level indicators in the black and grey water I use a gallon of vinegar in five gallons of water. Drive a few miles and dump it. Contacts come out sparkle clean.

Dewdo in the other Washington

2000 Dodge Ram 3500 dually with cummins diesel, Automatic, 4:10, BD exhaust brake, Auto Loc, DTT TC/VB, VA Box, Boost module/elbow, 4" exhaust, 14 cm turbo housing + All goodies including leather.
1992 King Of the Road fiver, 2000 11.5 Arctic Fox slide in with all the goodies. (love those goodies)
clecogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 04:41 AM   #26

Hi,

Here's a tip, when at a campground with full hook-up keep the black tank closed and the gray tank valve open. Because there are no traps on the black tank (toilet) odors and insect can get up into your black tank and if the bathroom fan is running the odors will be pulled into the bathroom.

When I'm ready to leave, I close the gray water valve and let the water run and fill the gray tank. Now I open black tank and drain it for about a minute and open the gray water valve to flush the system. With the gray tank still draining I now close the black water valve. By waiting to drain the black tank also give a chance for the chemicals to work on the waste before you drain it.

1993 Ford F250 351 engine 4X4 Standard Transmission
2000 Elkhorn Slide-in 9T(10ft)
SRW BF Goodrich 285x75R 16
Fleetwood
With options 3200lbs
Bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 06:34 AM   #27

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fuzz:
......See http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.htm
He has some good info on Macerators....
Fuzz
QUOTE]

That's an excellent site! Had exactly the info i needed. Thanks. He also mentions using pit vaults as a receptacle for the blackwater. I just ordered the macerator from camping world. We will see!

Carl&Jan We are not camping! This is how we live 99 Hallmark Slide-in popup. 00 F350,PSD,4x4,Crew. 01 Arctic Fox 27F TT.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:58 AM   #28

Here's a nifty idea to keep your house on wheels smelling sweet - after dumping your tanks fill your tanks about half full with water and add some Tide detergent (or Cheer or whatever laundry soap you have). While you drive to your next spot the "old washing machine" is churning that soapy water around in the tank. Dump when you reach your destination (or before storing rig back at home). Cleans the inside of the tanks, sensors, and leaves a clean smell (not a chemical smell!). It's better for the environment too!
Campground Owner is offline   Reply With Quote