Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #1

Electric Jacks

A disturbing factoid that I just learned after a near catastrophic failure of my Happijac's. May be relevant to other electric jack also.

BACKGROUND

I went out last Thursday to my shed which is behind the driveway where I park my camper and truck (2007 Chevy LBZ 2500HD extended cab shortbox and 2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2) and something looked REALLY weird. The passenger rear happijac has, all on it's own, decided to descend to the limit of it's travel and commit suicide. Fortunately, I did not have the tiedown on at the time and the camper merely lifted up at that corner till the jack ran out of travel and decided to stop.

The bigfoot is so well built and stiff, that even shoved up in the air on one corner, caused no damage at all luckily. The happijac on that side was actually okay except it destroyed the housing with the little reduction gears in it, but still worked on the manual bypass socket so I was able to get the camper back down and in place. I have an extra gear head left over from when I changed one of the motors out some time ago so was able to swap out the motor and other housing and get things back functioning.

THE PROBLEM

In commiserating with the factory about this event, I was interested to hear that the control panel is ALWAYS energized unless the power is off to the camper and this type of malfunction has, if rarely, happened before, attributed to moisture getting into the control board or the remote. My control board has not been exposed to moisture that I know of and seem to be working fine right now.

THE SOLUTION.
The recommended fix is to install a switch in the power circuit to the control board and only turn it on when using the jacks and ALWAYS turn it off when not using the jacks. So I did just that, installing a hefty SPST toggle switch in the 12v wire to the control board; needs to be a hefty switch since the jacks carry quite a bit of current. I recommend this precaution to everyone with electric jack if there is not a manual (not electronic) switch between the battery and the jack control board. The happijac people were very helpful and I will be sending my board back to them when I get a chance.

My 2 cents and forewarned is forarmed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Good to know. I believe in turning power off when you store anything that is controlled by a circuit board.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #3

Issue here is that you can't do that without putting a switch in or turning off all the power to the rig. This can happen at any time you are not completely disconnected, which may not be all the time. Scary.

Tags
jacks