Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2023, 02:01 PM   #1

Experience Needed: Unit Size for 6'6" Chevy 2500 Diesel Truck?

I have a 2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew cab 6'6" bed Duramax/Allison truck, NOT a dually. I'm looking for used truck campers that reasonably fit without a lot of hangover, with consideration for overall weight, etc.

- What length and weight limits should I look for to ride safely considering wind load, etc?

- Willing to put on airbags or other suspension aids (please advise).
- Which tiedowns and other aids would you suggest?
- I'd even like to know brands/models that we should stay away from.

I've pulled trailers for almost 50 years of all sizes and weights, much of the time boondocking. My wife and I ( 71 + 68 yo) are looking for something self contained for going through national parks, boondocking, etc. and use the truck we already own. We are in good shape with no problem climbing into them, into the overhead bed, etc.

If you have experience with similar setups/rigs, what would you suggest for a safe ride. Looking in the used $10K - $18K or so range.

Edit: I don't want a pop-up style unit.
It must have a wet bath or the wife won't go.... :>)

I appreciate any seasoned help/suggestions.

Charlie
Eastern NE
ACountryMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2023, 04:11 PM   #2

What weight ( Payload ) is on the yellow door sticker of your truck ?

You may find some of what's been posted to this thread useful.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f33/putti...ck-612094.html
Old 05-27-2023, 05:24 PM   #3

Thanks. My specs:

GVWR 10000 lbs
GAWR FRT 6000 lbs
GAWR RR 6200 lbs

I want to stay within the capacity of the factory load specs, hence my questions.
I "assume" I'll have to scale the vehicle for the base weight (plus fuel, people, gear, etc.) to find out what my operating margin is for the weight of a fully-loaded camper.

With that in mind, I am looking for units that will have the proper weight distribution for both axles, especially with a crew cab + std bed.

Since this is my first truck camper, I'm also looking for suggestions for stablizers, suspension upgrades, etc.

I apologize ahead of time of that isn't sufficient info - I'm learning.
Thanks for any input.

Charlie
Old 05-27-2023, 06:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACountryMile View Post
I have a 2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew cab 6'6" bed Duramax/Allison truck, NOT a dually. I'm looking for used truck campers that reasonably fit without a lot of hangover, with consideration for overall weight, etc.

- What length and weight limits should I look for to ride safely considering wind load, etc?

- Willing to put on airbags or other suspension aids (please advise).
- Which tiedowns and other aids would you suggest?
- I'd even like to know brands/models that we should stay away from.

I've pulled trailers for almost 50 years of all sizes and weights, much of the time boondocking. My wife and I ( 71 + 68 yo) are looking for something self contained for going through national parks, boondocking, etc. and use the truck we already own. We are in good shape with no problem climbing into them, into the overhead bed, etc.

If you have experience with similar setups/rigs, what would you suggest for a safe ride. Looking in the used $10K - $18K or so range.

Edit: I don't want a pop-up style unit.
It must have a wet bath or the wife won't go.... :&gt

I appreciate any seasoned help/suggestions.

Charlie
Eastern NE
If you're looking to get a short bed no slide TC you should be fine. Standard TC's up to 9.5 are manufactured for stock 3/4 and 1 ton SRW trucks. Suspension mods, thicker sway bar, helper springs, airbags or Timbrens are often only needed for the heavier slide(s) TC.
Axiomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 09:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks. My specs:

GVWR 10000 lbs
GAWR FRT 6000 lbs
GAWR RR 6200 lbs

I want to stay within the capacity of the factory load specs, hence my questions.
I "assume" I'll have to scale the vehicle for the base weight (plus fuel, people, gear, etc.) to find out what my operating margin is for the weight of a fully-loaded camper.

With that in mind, I am looking for units that will have the proper weight distribution for both axles, especially with a crew cab + std bed.

Since this is my first truck camper, I'm also looking for suggestions for stablizers, suspension upgrades, etc.

I apologize ahead of time of that isn't sufficient info - I'm learning.
Thanks for any input.

Charlie
Are you sure the door sticker doesn't also give payload capacity? I might be mistaken but I think a lot trucks in the 3/4 and ton range come with separate truck camper loading information, maybe in the glovebox? You might see if there is anything there.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:50 AM   #6

I have a gmc 2500hd gas with a short bed and had a lance 845 which worked well with a set of airbags.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 05:59 PM   #7

You're right. There is a sticker in the glove box for a truck camper cargo rating:
Only 1,644 lbs. That seems awful light for a 2500HD LT 4WD Crew 6.8 ft Duramax.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:14 PM   #8

Wow, I remember my lance being 2500lb and I would put 50psi in the bags. I guess I was way overloaded and towing a boat 400 miles to lake Shasta.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacitor View Post
Wow, I remember my lance being 2500lb and I would put 50psi in the bags. I guess I was way overloaded and towing a boat 400 miles to lake Shasta.
You may have been overloaded, but the Gas trucks usually have a Higher Payload than the Diesel trucks similarly equipped, so chances are that the Diesel would have been WAY overloaded.

Tim
Old 05-29-2023, 09:55 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2008 2500HD Extended Cab GMC handled a truck camper like it wasn't even there and it was one that I had to leave the tailgate on for it to fit lengthwise. I'll have to see if I can find the make/model. Been a few years. Did not have a wet bath. I do know that I stayed within the specs that are on a label inside the glove compartment. Nothing special added to truck suspension, etc.

Good luck.

PS: I miss it a lot. DW feels otherwise. She always felt cramped inside it.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:47 PM   #11

Look at Northstar Campers Liberty or 8.5 ADVENTURER
My brother has a Liberty. on short bed 2022 F150 (heavy half)
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Carriage View Post
Look at Northstar Campers Liberty or 8.5 ADVENTURER
My brother has a Liberty. on short bed 2022 F150 (heavy half)
Owned a Northstar Adventurer 8.5 for years. Got a lot of use out of it but found the bath area a little to small for my bulk so I traded it in for a new Northstar 9.5 Igloo last year. Now I can actually turn around in the shower without getting all hung up in the shower curtain. Don't know where your located but if you buy the camper from Truck Campers Warehouse in New Hampshire there's no sales tax and in my state registration isn't required.
Axiomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:19 AM   #13

Quote:
You're right. There is a sticker in the glove box for a truck camper cargo rating:
Only 1,644 lbs. That seems awful light for a 2500HD LT 4WD Crew 6.8 ft Duramax.
Every option takes away from total payload .
2WD has more payload over a 4WD.
Gas engine has more payload over a diesel.
Standard cab has more payload, over a crew cab.

You're doing the right thing , learning the numbers for your truck .
Bad things happen when you don't have the correct numbers ,or choose to ignore them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-ram-hd-3500-dually-eagle-cap-frame-bender-2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	394098  
Old 05-30-2023, 09:25 AM   #14
laj

Everybody likes to play with pics to scare you.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, diesel