Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 07:52 PM   #1

Heavy electric use appliances

In the planning stages, going to be either custom pop up slide in camper, or a Transit van. We're 50 / 50 on it so far. But...

What is the general view on high electric use appliances? Namely the mico and the toaster. POP TARTS !!!!!!!

Just about everything else can be low voltage ( preferably powered by the PV panels ) or propane ( last resort ).

The little 1000W micro could conceivably be run from a decent inverter, not so sure about the toaster. I have no problem adding a battery or two to get the proper set up for the inverter if it's not going to be a big waste of my time. Already planning on at least a 3000W inverter, could go bigger if the power is worth it.

Road warriors please chime in.
Dave01a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 08:17 PM   #2

Greetings Dave01a,
If weight, space, and money is no object anything can be run off solar, batteries, & an inverter.
There are also DC bread toasters available. Click on the DC appliance link below...
https://www.roadtrucker.com/

In the few years I've been camping I have learned that if I want to run my AC or microwave I need to be on generator power. The amount of equipment (weight, space, cost) is simply beyond what I consider practical to run high energy appliances off of batteries.

I'd say the Pop Tarts are a go on battery power but the microwave would be tough and running the AC near impossible.

BTW, another item that is a massive power hog is a laser printer. Just throwing that out there in case you plan to work from your RV.

Happy camping and keep us posted on this!
Regards,
-Jake-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:22 PM   #3
laj

Or you can really spend money and go lithium.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:33 PM   #4

I print VERY little, and Brother makes a really nice thermal. It's not a laser for sure, but almost everything I have these days is digital, and if it's not, I do my best to scan it.

The micro will be the smallest that Wally world sells. Around 100W and 1.2A. It would just be warming things up for the most part, so that should function.

Glad to hear the toaster should be doable.

I agree on the AC / generator requirement, but for my situation the vehicle AC will be doing most of the cooling. Even then I'm leaning toward the Transit van and a small split system instead of the 'normal' roof AC units. Trying to keep the roof as clear as possible for max PV panels. Make electricity and shade the roof all in one.

Glad to hear I'm not too far off track. Going to set up a small battery bank in the shop and order the inverter to test it's capabilities before anything ever gets installed.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave01a View Post
Glad to hear I'm not too far off track. Going to set up a small battery bank in the shop and order the inverter to test it's capabilities before anything ever gets installed.
Should be a fun build!
Keep us posted as you move forward, and take (& post) some pics too.
Thanks,
-Jake-
Old 01-14-2022, 02:47 PM   #6

Quote:

The micro will be the smallest that Wally world sells. Around 100W and 1.2A. It would just be warming things up for the most part, so that should function.
100w? really? I've never heard of one that small - smallest I've seen were around 700watts: https://tinyhousehugeideas.com/best-...-1600929264026

Dave
Old 01-14-2022, 07:53 PM   #7

Alassss, they dont seem to make them anymore. But back in my working days, i had a AC/DC microwave. Worked great for its small size. I gave it away when i retired. Might be able to find one on fleebay.... For the pop tarts, just use a square hobo pie maker right over the gas burner, heat, flip heat, eat. Get a double pie maker to do both tarts at the same time. There is always a way to live large, going smaller.
My 2000 honda gen will power my rv microwave no problem, but no other heavy loads at the same time. For a AC unit 13.5K btu, a slow start set up that is $300 will let the AC unit run off the gen. Running isnt the problem, its the start up load.
I will soon, if everything goes right, be in a new pop up truck camper, fulltime.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:12 PM   #8

Just to help with solar planning, nothing "runs off of solar" The electrical draws come from the batteries, the solar is a source for battery charging.

BTW, we picked up this little toaster oven that only draws 1050 watts with both elements fired up. Works well for baking thwack biscuits, chicken patties and toast, will likely work well with Pop tarts.

I see it's gone up in price a bit. We've had it for about 6 months so far, not real heavy use.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:45 PM   #9

Steve, thanks for the toaster oven link, it was something I thought I was going to have to do without.

Dave, blame the late night fat fingers, yes the little micro at Wally world is 1000W, 1200W if they are out and I have to get the next biggest one. I 'll take a look at the 700W one. It would just be for re-heating and such. Not even going to try and do a turkey in one.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:43 PM   #10

I run everything off of a 900W inverter ..... one appliance at a time.

Microwave 790W
Toaster 750W
Expresso machine 1025W
Ceiling fan 45W

The inverter is an Xantrex ProWatt SW-1000. It's rated 900W max continuous but has a good several minute overload capability so handles the expresso machine easily.

The microwave is an inverter type that draws continuous power that depends on the setting. We use it mostly on level 5 and double the cooking time that would be required on level 10. And often use lower settings for re-heating and oatmeal and such. Try an inverter microwave and you'll never go back to the on/off type. We have the identical unit at home.

10 ----1460W
8 -----1260
6 ------960
5 ------790
4 ----- 680
3 ------416
2 ------416
1 ------416
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:37 PM   #11

Didn't even know there was such a type of microwave, makes perfect sense once you say it. Will have to do some research. Every little bit helps.

Is it fairly easy to spot them, or do you have to go hunting by brand and model?
Old 01-16-2022, 02:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
Just to help with solar planning, nothing "runs off of solar" The electrical draws come from the batteries, the solar is a source for battery charging.
That's the most coherent thing I've seen in an RV form in a long time.
Thank you for putting that out there SteveJ.
Well stated.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Didn't even know there was such a type of microwave, makes perfect sense once you say it. Will have to do some research. Every little bit helps.

Is it fairly easy to spot them, or do you have to go hunting by brand and model?
I'm only aware of ones made by Panasonic. They might be the only maker. They've been doing the inverter type for close to 10 years that I know of.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
Ummm ... not quite. In a typical situation, once the sun is up, the solar will carry the load with leftover current going into the battery. After the battery is fully charged, usually by early afternoon in my case, and until the sun gets low or goes behind trees, 100% of my electrical loads are fed by solar with no help from the battery. The battery is floating at zero current over these hours. If I ran heavy loads during the solar hours, more than the solar can handle, the battery would pitch in but mostly it's being charged or is loafing.

Tags
electric