Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #1

Host Mammoth Quality Check

I am curious about the quality and how reliable the Host Mammoth is? I have a 2018 Ram 3500 DRW that has a CCC of 5564 lbs that I use to tow my 2019 Pinnacle. I am curious if it is a safe match with the Mammoth? I have not looked at one in person, but I know it has to be a huge rig. How is the longevity of the work and craftsmanship? I hope they are not using Furrion brand appliances.
Thanks for all reply’s
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #2

I have a 2020 Host Mammoth on a 2019 Ram 3500 DRW diesel, I tow a trailer with my jeep, can am or boat. It handels it ok, I moved to flat towing the Jeep to lower the weight. I installed a Helwig sway bar and Torqlift upper and lower stable loads to help with roll and controll, it rides a ton better from where I started. The quality so far has been good and no they are not using Furrion in my build. As far as longivity that is based on the owner, if you leave it out in the rain, snow or baking sun and never maintain it, I would think it will not last but a few years before having to repair things. if you maintain it, cover it or store it, have the seals checked once a year, winterize it if needed it should last a long time.

My experince with RV's has been over 30 years, I have owned every kind you can think of, my last RV was a 37 foot Country Coach diesel pusher and we downsized to this set up. So far happy with Host, my dealer and the quailty. Just go into all the major camper MFG's and you will see for youself, the layout in the mammoth can't be beat, framed in windows, floor slide out and we love the moving table. This works great for me and my wife.

Let me know if you have any specific questions glad to help.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:19 PM   #3

The number to worry about above all is your rear tires. As I recall, they should be rated at approx 2840 lbs each (when used in dual configuration) which is 11,360 lbs. Your truck's rear axle weight unloaded should be around 3600 lbs. That leaves 7760.

Keep in mind that the Mammoth's dry weight is 3955 before options, water propane or personal items. I would bet money that that number will go up at least 2000 lbs by the time it's ready to use. So now we're down to 1760.

If you're going to tow, you'll need a 48" hitch extension (such as from Torklift). Consider that the hitch itself (before extension) is rated for 1500 lbs of tongue weight. At 48", without weight distribution, it's rated for 600. You can see how the fulcrum/lever affect willl increase your tongue weight. With weight distribution you can go to 1000 lbs of tongue weight. I think with this setup you will be right up against the max weight your tires can hold at max psi.

If you need more than that, the cheapest way to go (as opposed to upgrading to a 4500 or 5500 truck) is to go to 19.5" wheels/tires. Since those are a higher load rating than the Load Range E's the truck has stock, you'll pick up enough margin to be safe.
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #4

The Mammoth will take just about all the rear axle capacity of a 3500/F350 DRW. If you plan to tow anything with a substantial tongue weight, you need to go to the Class 4 or 5 trucks that have higher rated rear axles and 19.5" wheels.

I took delivery of my Host in 2017 and typically we are out twice a month. We have been happy with purchase and have no reservations suggesting it to others that have a sufficient vehicle for the payload.

It compares well to four other RV's we have owned since 1988 and they were very flexible in their build options verses cookie cutter mass produced units.

Tags
quality