Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2014, 01:25 AM   #1

Itll never work! Ford Ranger+TC+trailer

Finally made an account on here (for other reasons) but decided i might as well share my previous camper experience. Before anyone asks...no one died!

84prerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #2

I'm glad everyone survived.
You weren't the first to travel overloaded, been there too, hope you've learned, like I did, from a white knuckle experience and not an accident.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I'm glad everyone survived.
You weren't the first to travel overloaded, been there too, hope you've learned, like I did, from a white knuckle experience and not an accident.
Thanks! That thing drove surprisingly great. cruise control on at 60 pretty much anywhere. Never really did have any white knuckle experience other then the entire time it was on the road haha. Really it was just the mental factor of knowing what i was driving that was the scariest, it never had an issue at all. To be completely fair it wasnt even mine, it belonged to a good friend and business partner but i did drive it and rode in it. He sold it to a guy that drove from AZ to long beach CA and picked it up with a regular cab, 4cylinder, 5spd, stock little ranger. I doubt he ever made it home lol
Old 03-27-2014, 12:31 AM   #4

84prerunner
Did the truck by itself ever hit the scales, then with the camper on , and finally the trailer no weight then with the toys on it?
Ben
bens170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:41 AM   #5

We actually tried to weigh the complete setup twice but it never worked out (closed scales, lines etc)

The tuck alone has been weighed and i believe was 3800lbs or so
Old 03-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the information, did you actually have white knuckle driving with everything on the back of the p/u and towing behind the pick up. Have fun and be safe.
Ben
bens170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 AM   #7

Like i said previously it actually drove great. it had sway bars on both ends, air bags etc. The white knuckle experience was really just mental knowing all of that weight was on a lifted ranger. It drove better then class C motor that he bought to replace that camper haha.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #8

If your ranger had the 4 liter v6 w auto and your camper wasn't self contained you might have been just at gccvw for your rig, and the trailor your orv is on had to be aluminum!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:47 AM   #9

I figured the rear axle weight and GVW was over...but the combined weight might have still be under. The truck does have the 4.0/auto giving it sometihng like a 5k towing capacity (forget the exact number) and the most that trailer ever weighed was 2500 or less. Camper listed its dry weight at 1000lbs but we added 180lbs of batteries and it had a 25gallon fresh water tank.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:45 AM   #10

I towed a 6000 lbs 5th wheel with a 2.9L Ranger for 3 years and it really worked well for a gas truck. Had to open up the exhaust, not to heat the engine.
Past most transports in the hills. It was a 5 speed standard. And the gears were just right. I could climb the hills at 55 on 3 rd gear. It sounded like a Nascar.
I got the same fuel mileage I get with my PSD with a 15K lbs trailer.
I remember well, the automatic was rated for 5600 lbs trailer and the Standard was rated for 2500 lbs trailer.
Got rid of it because the rims were only good for 35 lbs and one time I had to brake fast and the tires turned on the rims.
So pulled same unit with a 6.2 L GM diesel 1/2 ton and gain 40% on fuel mileage when towing and dame unloaded.
On a good day I try to approach that mileage by driving conservatively with the PSD and get awful close.

Tags
ford