Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2022, 05:24 PM   #1

Micro-Air/RecPro A/C problem

Hi all,

Updating AC on my 1999 Lance 1120, decided on a RecPro RP-AC2801 low profile. When I went to mount the Micro-Air 364 I removed from my old unit I found I cannot figure out where to mount it, it is really tight inside the AC unit.

Anybody added a Micro-Air to one of these and if so, where the heck did you put it ?

Thanks,
Jer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220307_222527741.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	358570  
JERRYB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2022, 10:53 PM   #2

I just watched a video on this installation posted by Delta Bravo on Youtube. I'll try to link it here.

Randy

Watch "Installing a MicroAir Easy Start on Coleman Mach 8" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/z1nuP0SKGqU
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:35 PM   #3

Thanks for posting the link. While I am not installing a Micro-air it did give me a look inside and at the construction of a RecPro, which I have been considering as an alternative to Dometic and Airxcel. Thanks!
NOLAfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:10 PM   #4

It is my understanding that the Houghton unit (Rec Pro) already has a soft start capability. I may be wrong, but check the specs and check with Rec Pro before you go too far.

Installed weight: approx. 99 lbs.
Outdoor unit dimensions: 32 1/2"W x 9"H x 44"D
Plenum (ceiling assembly) unit dimensions: 21"W x 2"H x 22 1/2"D
Direct replacement for 14" x 14" fan
Use a minimum of 12 gauge wire for installation
Colors: black and white (both black and white colors have a white interior plenum unit)
Non-ducted
Come with removable screen filters that can be cleaned and replaced
Remote control with cooling, heating, dehumidifying, dry, sleep, and timing functions (stored inside AC unit display for protection during shipping)
Ultra low plenum design and streamlined canopy design
Easy to read LED display
Easy to remove and clean air filter
Lightweight UV stabilized polypropylene chassis and canopy able to withstand tough conditions
Low amp draw allows for limited amps or generators in operation, no need for a soft-start addition
Temperature control for rooms up to 650 square feet
Decibels:
Indoor High speed: 56 decibels
Indoor Low speed: 47 decibels
Outdoor: 67 decibels
2-year manufacturer warranty
If the roof's thickness is greater than 3 3/8", you can purchase a thick roof kit
Minimum roof thickness is 1"
Best installed on a flat roof - less than 5 degrees inclination
*Make sure to create a tight seal between air conditioner unit and the roof. A poor seal can lead to the compressor cycling on and off
*Do not include a wall thermostat
*Does not work with other brand wall thermostats
*Will not control the furnace, only the air conditioning unit
*Fan will run continuously when in 'Auto' mode.

Charles
Old 03-21-2022, 01:56 PM   #5

Checked with MicroAir

Checked with MicroAir, sent a schematic of the AC, they could find no indication of a "soft" start. I did wire in the MicroAir unit and good to go on shore power, haven't been able to try on gen power yet. Will report.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:20 PM   #6

I just installed a RecPro 2801 ( 9500BTU, $1100 ) on a 2012 Keystone Springdale 179. My roof is 5" thick, so I needed the thick roof kit, which worked fine. It's little tricky to change the duct to the longer one, make sure you screw it out in the correct direction, which was clockwise for me. Otherwise, you end up tightening it and it's very difficult to remove. Putting the new one on is a little tricky, but after a few tries I got it. My old AC was a Dometic Brisk II. This new one is dramatically quieter. However, I hoped to run it off a single Yamaha EF2000is ( 1st generation), and it did not work. Later I took the cover off and found out the "locked rotor amps" is 52A! So, there is no soft starting in this thing. At least it’s less than the 62A of the Brisk Air. Looks like mounting a SoftStartRV will be tricky, I might do it. Have to mount it under the outside air fan. I suspect they say "does not need a soft start" because it does not have a loud "thump" when the compressor starts. A soft start can fix that with any AC. The reason this one does not thump is the excellent mounting of the compressor on springs that isolates it from transmitting compressor sound to the RV. When I saw that SoftStartRV has a wiring diagram for this unit, I knew it must need a soft start. I was able to measure the inrush current with a special meter, and it showed 48A, close to the 52A on the label. So far, the highest running current I have measured is 6A, but others have reported 9A. Unfortunately we have had a very cool summer so far, so I have not had a chance to see how well it cools our small 18' trailer. But, the prior 13500BTU unit was clearly far larger than needed, so I am confident this will work fine.
mrggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:25 PM   #7

I took the cover off of mine, and it looks like you can mount it under the fan. Of course, the whole install is a pain, as you have to scrape the silicone off the four bolts of the fan, the four bolts of the capacitor cover, and the capacitor wires. Then, presumably put the silicone back in all those places. In addition, I left a similar review as in my last post on the REcPro website, and they immediately emailed me to say that installing a soft start will void the warranty. Not surprising as they cannot be sure you didn't damage anything during the install.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:28 PM   #8

JERRYB4 - where did you end up mounting your MicroAir? I see that SoftStartRV has a wiring diagram for this unit, BTW.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #9

Phots of interior - note RLA rating

For anyone who thinks this thing has a soft start already in it, the label on the top of the unit seems to say otherwise - still a very large starting current of 56A !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1127.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	367954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1130.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	367955  

Old 07-02-2022, 11:00 AM   #10

Locked rotor amps is not starting amps.
bauerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #11

bauerb - a quick web search on "locked rotor amps" suggests otherwise. This website https://electricalbaba.com/locked-ro...rting-current/ mentions that it will be different if you have a softstart. There are videos of folks measuring it, and startup comes close to LRA. Typically a manufacturer will put a worst case number on the name plate, so it makes sense that you will not get quite that bad of a number. I have a meter that can measure the startup current, and I measured 52 A on my RecPro, far above what it should be if there was a softstart.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:05 PM   #12

mrggg,
I actually made up a metal box and mounted said box to the camper roof just to the left of the AC unit. I just returned from 4th camping weekend, will climb up tomorrow and try to take pics of my set up. traveled over 8000 miles sofar without issue .
Old 07-05-2022, 08:47 AM   #13

JerryB4, I hope you might comment on the wiring, too. Did you have to remove the fan and capacitor cover, or did you tap into the wiring at the control box? Also, what is the size of the generator you can use this with? My Yamaha EF2000is could not power it without a soft start. BTW, mine cools my 18ft trailer nicely, and is pretty quiet.
Old 07-07-2022, 03:18 PM   #14

Had to remove fan to get to wiring at capacitor, kinda a pain but doable, I used a silicon to replace what I disturbed. Trying to attach pictures of the finished product, not able to at this point. as I mentioned I did not try to mount unit under fan, had airflow concerns so made a box for Microaire unit and mounted outside of AC. did drill a hole in side of AC housing to run wires, sealed with grommet and silicon, no leaks as of yet. will keep working on pics.

Tags
air, problem