Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2018, 08:52 AM   #1

My payload...is it enough? thoughts?

Rookie here again. After all my research and finally getting numbers. My new dually truck has a stock payload of 5,955lbs. I plan on going with a non-slide unit. Most likely the Lance 850 (dry 2426).... or Artic Fox 865 (dry- 2641)

Cutting it close? or what do we think? Have ballpark 3,314 - 3,529lbs to play with for the final payload...

By time we add another 600-900lbs to make it wet weight. Kayak or two? Bikes? Adding Solar & batteries. and the other misc. fun stuff.

Good thing there is only 2 of us that only add up to 300 lbs! lol

I'm a big GM guy always have been. But did I prematurely get this truck? Looks like the Fords and Dodge duallys have about a 1,000-1,200lbs extra payload to play with...
BIGDREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #2

I'm thinking your ok , the big thing is you're aware of the trucks limitations .
WAY to many, new RVers start out without any idea that there are limits, and buy into the ads that show people heading out , taking it all with them .
Old 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #3

AXLE WEIGHTS vs Axle Ratings

Load truck up (full fuel tank, you/her, and/all stuff you would carry inside truck etc) and go get weighed

Then subtract actual axle weights from axle weight ratings...that is amount of additional weight you can add to truck
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
AXLE WEIGHTS vs Axle Ratings
Load truck up (full fuel tank, you/her, and/all stuff you would carry inside truck etc) and go get weighed
Then subtract actual axle weights from axle weight ratings...that is amount of additional weight you can add to truck
Thanks; Old-Biscuit.

Always good to have other members post with info I forgot .

Important to realize that all your trucks cargo capacity , isn't available at the rear axle , the center of gravity of the camper has to be considered .
Too much of the campers weight too far forward can put your front axle over or at it's limit , then adding kayaks on an over cab/or over hood rack isn't possible.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My S&S has a wet weight sticker of 3,050 and it weighs 4,350 full of water and ready to camp...OVER estimate your weight, I bet you'll come in "ready to camp" between 3,800-4,100, then add the kayaks. I'd say your going to be at GVW or will go over what the truck is rated for, which may not be a bad thing depending. I go over "sticker" GVW by around 500 pounds, but still have a lot of axle weight left on mine and I run Stableloads and Bilstein shocks..nothing else, and Red handles it fine and the TC only drops my rear 2". My truck has the camper package so I have factory swaybars and even in bad weather and winds is still easy to drive.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #6

You are way beyond fine with that truck. By your numbers (using the heavier ones even) you have over 2,000 pounds of payload after the passengers, camper, and the stuff you put in it are loaded. I doubt a couple kyaks and solar panels will get anywhere close to 2,000 pounds. I can't see you getting within 1,000 pounds of your GVWR no matter what you do.
Even so, keep in mind, a lot of trucks hauling TCs are well over their GVWR. Most people go by axle and tire limits, not GVWR. I used to haul my 11' camper on a SRW 3500 Chevy at 11,140 pounds loaded. The truck's GVWR was 9,900. I upgraded to a Chevy dually with a GVWR of 11,400. Loaded up for a trip with the family it weighed in about 13,100. I had thousand of trouble free miles over 7 years and 20 states with that rig. I wasn't over on my tires or my axles, just the GVWR.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #7

Keep in mind that your payload takes in account a full tank of gas and 2 adults.
RVandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I think you are wise to be aware and concerned of the weights your are asking about. I think some just don't care based on what I see on the roads and in campgrounds.
My other half is in love with the Host Mammoth 3 slide truck camper. I agree it is really nice for what it is.
I have a new loaded (therefore reducing the payload based on stock) 2018 GMC Sierra double cab dually diesel. The glove box "truck camper weight" is 3895 lbs yet the door jamb payload sticker is 4645 lbs.
The factory "as is equipped weight" of the Mammoth we looked at is 4562 lbs.
I don't see how most pick-ups can carry these campers without exceeding payload. Based on this, we are NOT getting a truck camper. I will just stick to our fiver.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #9

Your GMC is hampered by a lower GVWR than the other two brands. This reduces your paper payload but in reality you have more capacity than printed on that sticker. My advice is that the 3500/F350 is capable of carrying this camper but nothing is left to be able to tow anything with tongue weight. The reason I have a 5500 is because my trailer adds 1000 lbs of tongue weight plus I carry 600 lbs of batteries in the the lower storage compartments.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Thanks; Old-Biscuit.

Always good to have other members post with info I forgot .

Important to realize that all your trucks cargo capacity , isn't available at the rear axle , the center of gravity of the camper has to be considered .
Too much of the campers weight too far forward can put your front axle over or at it's limit , then adding kayaks on an over cab/or over hood rack isn't possible.
Most truck campers do not load the front axle unless you are creative on how you pack heavy items inside. A bigger problem is having the front axle unload and shifting even more weight to rear axle. Many truck camper folks will hang a motorcycle or cargo basket on the front of the truck just to get more weight back on the steer axle.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
Most truck campers do not load the front axle unless you are creative on how you pack heavy items inside. A bigger problem is having the front axle unload and shifting even more weight to rear axle. Many truck camper folks will hang a motorcycle or cargo basket on the front of the truck just to get more weight back on the steer axle.
you correct on the GVWR of other brands- my new truck is 13,025. others at 14,000

yup- just ordered my front hitch draw tite for 126$ shipped to the house- not bad!

"truck camper" sticker in glove box shows 4,794 ibs. Total payload for the truck is 5,955 ilbs .

So they must be assuming around 1,161 lbs of weight in the cab and on the front axles...

I have slowly started to realize that I am going to be plenty good... not going with a "monster" camper.... cirrus 920....lance 850....maybe artic fox or northern lite?...no slides... I think ill be ok.

now... do I upgrade to the torklift magnum hitch before buying my tie downs or what??? current hitch is rated 2,000 lb tongue weight 20,000 towing... just doesn't have the dual receiver.... I don't really have anything to tow....yet...and I say that now... but who knows?
BIGDREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #12

The rear tie downs are different for the two receivers. Maybe upgrade the hitch so you don’t have to buy the tow downs twice.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:58 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Ford and Dodge numbers are inflated to boost sales! These numbers are higher because Ford and Dodge offer a 4:10 ratio and GM only has a 3:73 ratio. Tires are the limiting factor for these trucks, all brands. Your truck has plenty of room in its numbers for the campers you are looking at. They were designed for the 3/4 Ton HD and up pickups. If you have any doubts about your GM truck, go to YouTube and search Ike Gauntlet.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:30 AM   #14
laj

the 865 artic foxes dry weight will be closer to 3700 lbs. artic fox purposely obscures the real weight of their campers, but you will still have plenty of capacity and a good handling setup.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote