Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #15

Doesn't sound like the best plan to me either, for all the reasons mentioned. Those truck alternators are good for the road, but it's hard to beat a gen when parked.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #16

New Lance - no generator

I have the Lance 915. It is wired and plumbed for a Propane genset. I prefer to use the space for hoses,cords,tarps etc. etc. I have a Honda 2000i genset and love it. Usually carry it in the ATV trailer or set it on the floor of camper. Can place it away from camper as needed. Secured to a tree. Will not run AC, but I don't have it so no big deal.
Rich49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #17

For me, Honda EU200i (or two) is the best way to go. Built in propane generators are fuel hogs, loud, and they vibrate the camper some.
billandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:11 PM   #18

I thought the built in 2k Onan in our 11.4 Caribou was very tolerable all the way 'round, and if we were getting another camper it would be the same. Our camper was used to travel cross country, OR to WV and back while staying in rest areas primarily, and boondocking for up to a month at a time while hunting and/or fishing.

The gen. was key to the AC, microwave, and battery charging. Since it was built in it didn't create any extra baggage, other fuel to worry about, or gen security problems.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:57 AM   #19

Retired Fire Service RVer's
NO Generator! Traveler does 1,000,000 kms without a Generator!

I have the most traveled LANCE camper known, with over a million kms and more than a dozen trips from Alaska (and mainland USA) to the tip of Argentina!....all without a "generator".

FIrst, of all, most of the camper generators are PROPANE, and they use a lot of propane! On my travels, propane is not readily available. The gasoline gens make another problem - to carry gas (my truck is a diesel), and the diesel gens are heavy and expensive.

My opinion is: If you are a camper that always need electricity the generator is worth it - however on my travels, I probably spend less than 20% of my time sitting around inside of my RV. I like to sit outside, get out and see things, and explore the new exciting areas of my travels. (I always think of those RVers, who pull into a KOA, plug in, and sit sit sit within watching TV).

I have solar to keep up the batteries, also a 12v/110 , 1200 w inverter, and have found this is all I need. With this, I can watch TV (;not much interest, but I do like to see the news), brew coffee on my 4 cup Mr Coffee, and recharge my cameras, cell phones, and drills. What more?

I have also installed some great LED, outside security lights, for about $12 each, and these are without any connections bought at Amazon.

Most Lance campers come pre-wired for solar, and if not, a 55w or 100w panel can be installed in a afternoon. They even recharge when you are parked under a street light!

We traveled on a barge on the Amazon River in Brazil, where it was prohibited from running generators, and always had power for our water pump, and lights....even enjoyed hot coffee every morning while watching the pink dolphins...
Attached Images

SoAmerRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #20

When the wind is blowing hard and the rain is almost ice pellets, we LOVE our built-in onboard propane generator.
It's a matter of comfort and convenience. That's why we're not in a tent.

However, we carry a small Honda 1000 for battery charging (and will soon add solar). The small Honda fits in one of the camper storage compartments.

To each their own preference.
bighatnohors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:15 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
My 2008 Lance 861S has the built in generator. It is loud,uses a lot of propane but convenient. Pulling into a rest area and you want A/C while having lunch etc. But I do carry the lightweight Honda EU3000i handi. At 73 lbs it fits nice on a bicycle rack[see first pic] installed on rear ladder. It is so quiet and fuel efficient.

I even take this Honda with me on boon docking trips with the motor home to keep things going and able to run 1 of the two a/c's. I do have a diesel one on board but I am able without air running able to get almost 6-7 hours on it's 1.57 gal tank. I surprised at a recent event how many big motor homes also had this small generator running on the side also.

Also considering selling my short bed truck camper that I had since new. Just don't use it as much anymore since getting spoiled with the room of my motor home. Anyone interested please send me a Private PM. Camper is loaded with all options available at the time. Plus a recent install auto search Winegard dish antenna. 2 other pic's of unit attached also. Asking $20500.00 OBO price is a bit below of NADA for unit. Orig MSRP was close to $39K.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1317.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	126876   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0519.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	126877  

Click image for larger version