Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

New to Me 2006 Lance 1181

Taking delivery on a 2006 TC that looks new on the inside but is faded and oxidized on the outside. Doing research on the best approach to fixing the outside. From what I've researched so far;

1. Wash and clean thoroughly.
2. Remove oxidation with good product (Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner) and electric buffer (Random Orbital polisher).
3. Put a good marine product sealant (Rejex?) on as the last step.

Things to watch out for:

1. Speed and pressure of the polisher can damage decals or burn surface.
2. Buffer shouldn't be used on or near seems where sealant has been applied since it will remove sealant (from where it's supposed to be) and smear it on the surface.
3. Make sure the TC is cleaned again before sealant is applied since it will seal dirt as well as paint.

What am I missing? Is it this simple that I can do it myself, or should I get someone from a marina that does detailing for a living?
gcakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #2

sounds like you have done your research.... another thing to look at is all the caulking lines.... it tends to crack and ooze out putty from below... at 12 yrs old Im sure you may need some touchups..
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #3

Congratulations on your purchase!! I think you will like it. There was some discussion on your previous thread about leaks in Lance campers. It is my belief that they all leak in time. It's just something you need to be aware of and get stopped as soon as you notice it. Both of ours did. I can't comment from experience on your current question as both of our campers were stick construction with aluminum covering, but I think you are going in the right direction with the correct precautions.

We did a lot of towing with both of ours with extensions I built to get past the camper overhang. We traveled around 300k miles with them all over the lower US and AK. IMHO, a TC is the most versatile RV of them all in many ways. Both of ours were on diesel powered trucks and got almost twice the mpg of our current 454 powered MH. I hope you got a built in gen and AC.

Enjoy!

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #4

Used Lance 1181

Appreciate the feedback.

The dealer is going to replace all hoses and put new sealant on all seams. They are replacing both batteries and filling both propane tanks. They're going to power wash the camper and install an extended hitch for our boat. We'll get to do a walk through to verify everything is in working order prior to delivery. (Need to get my anal testing hat ready)

While the price is a little higher to buy from a dealer the types of prep work they are doing will be worth it on 2006 camper.

Wife and I are excited and looking forward to getting it.
gcakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #5

Camper dealers as any dealer will be less than honest. What they say they will do and what they actually do will be two different things..
pauldeere is offline   Reply With Quote