Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #1

I went back to my local Northstar dealer today only to find out he has an Adventurer 8.5 which is slightly larger by 5" in length. This gives it a larger shower and a little more counter space but less seating area. It also has a double sink and the Laredo has a single sink. The Adventurer has a galvanized steel roof. The Laredo has a rubber roof. I am not sure which is the better of the two for long term life. I am still leaning to the Laredo but the extra room would be nice. The roof is the big issue here. Which is better?

Thanks for the responses.

SCMT @ 90HP, 4" DPPI Exhaust, Donaldson/Motorcraft Intake, more....
BlueRidgeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #2

I went back to my local Northstar dealer today only to find out he has an Adventurer 8.5 which is slightly larger by 5" in length. This gives it a larger shower and a little more counter space but less seating area. It also has a double sink and the Laredo has a single sink. The Adventurer has a galvanized steel roof. The Laredo has a rubber roof. I am not sure which is the better of the two for long term life. I am still leaning to the Laredo but the extra room would be nice. The roof is the big issue here. Which is better?

Thanks for the responses.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:59 AM   #3

how much is he asking jim
james1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:12 PM   #4

I have a aluminum roof on my lance and a rubber on my 5th wheel. I would opt for the metal. I also think that a Northstar is a great camper. I have meet Rex the owner of Northstar and he is a nice guy. My next TC will be a Northstar. Rob ps Metal is so much easier to keep clean.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:59 AM   #5

Well I picked up my 2005 8.5 Adventurer on Friday. It is very nice but there was a couple of accessories that the dealer missed in our discussion so I dropped it back off on Saturday to have those things addressed. He has been very good to work with so far. Here is a pic:

Old 08-23-2005, 08:57 PM   #6

Why don't you go to the Northstar section of the NATCOA Forum at www.natcoa-forum.com

And ask Rex Willett of Northstar. He will answer you (look under American TC manufacturers)
Paul Beddows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:31 AM   #7

I called him on the phone and we talked for about a half hour. I bases my decision on my discussion with Rex. Rex is a great guy to work with.

Old 08-26-2005, 04:02 PM   #8

blueridgerunner,

The roof should not be much of a factor in determining what camper to purchase. There are more important considerations. I have had two campers with metal roofs and one with rubber. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Metal roofs tend to expand and contract with the temps so recaulking is important. I could never keep them painted for more than a year or two, perhaps because they sit in the snow in the winter. Finally, on one camper I used 1/8 inch think sealant that was more like a bed liner than a surface coat for a roof. But, it fixed the roof paint chore every couple years. Rubber roofs more easily puncture when hit by branches. Most punctures are easy and inexpensive to fix, however. If you are not carrying anything on the roof, I like the rubber.

Hope you enjoy the camper, they are nice.