Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2020, 01:38 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
Oh yes I did

We bought a new motorhome last year and have gotten lots of enjoyment taking several trips over the past 9 months. However, because of its size, we sometimes are restricted traveling to more remote areas where we like to tent camp and hike. Don't get me wrong, we really like the bus and have NO intentions of getting rid of it. It's just not the best option for boondocking or dirt road adventures.

We live on the Gulf Coast in Louisiana. A bucket list trip for us would be a trip from the beach on the Gulf Coast where we will take a photo of us wading into the Gulf. A few weeks later we want to be in Alaska, and ultimately put our feet in the Arctic Ocean. I have done lots of research for this trip and really don't want to take our bus on the Haul road to Deadhorse. We are doing this trip with two other couples and have the calendar marked for July, 2021

My daily driver is a Ford F350 so after lots of research I made the decision to buy a used truck camper. I posted on this forum a thread that was titled "Looking for recommendations" and had several post with good input. Although I have big truck with lots of capacity and a 8 foot bed, I didn't want too big of a camper that had overhang that might limit the vehicle's ground clearance. I located a lightly used truck camper in Wisconsin and sent the seller a deposit with plans to go look at the unit and complete the deal after inspection. The very next weekend, Covid hit Louisiana hard and we went on lockdown. So after waiting for two months, I was finally able to travel the 1350 miles to the sellers home last week and pick up the camper. It was exactly as described by the seller and very lightly used. Although a 2016 model, it was like new because it was rarely used and stored inside.

Thanks for the input and I'm looking forward to many adventures in our "smaller" truck camper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bus.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	287954   Click image for larger version

Name:	TC rear.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	287955  

Name:	truck camper.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	287956  
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingbiker View Post
We bought a new motorhome last year and have gotten lots of enjoyment taking several trips over the past 9 months. However, because of its size, we sometimes are restricted traveling to more remote areas where we like to tent camp and hike. Don't get me wrong, we really like the bus and have NO intentions of getting rid of it. It's just not the best option for boondocking or dirt road adventures.

We live on the Gulf Coast in Louisiana. A bucket list trip for us would be a trip from the beach on the Gulf Coast where we will take a photo of us wading into the Gulf. A few weeks later we want to be in Alaska, and ultimately put our feet in the Arctic Ocean. I have done lots of research for this trip and really don't want to take our bus on the Haul road to Deadhorse. We are doing this trip with two other couples and have the calendar marked for July, 2021

My daily driver is a Ford F350 so after lots of research I made the decision to buy a used truck camper. I posted on this forum a thread that was titled "Looking for recommendations" and had several post with good input. Although I have big truck with lots of capacity and a 8 foot bed, I didn't want too big of a camper that had overhang that might limit the vehicle's ground clearance. I located a lightly used truck camper in Wisconsin and sent the seller a deposit with plans to go look at the unit and complete the deal after inspection. The very next weekend, Covid hit Louisiana hard and we went on lockdown. So after waiting for two months, I was finally able to travel the 1350 miles to the sellers home last week and pick up the camper. It was exactly as described by the seller and very lightly used. Although a 2016 model, it was like new because it was rarely used and stored inside.

Thanks for the input and I'm looking forward to many adventures in our "smaller" truck camper
Have you considered pulling your F350 and truck camper as your toad behind your motorhome? I've seen lots of people use trucks as their toad, not sure I've ever seen one with the truck camper, but why not? That would give you lots of options for adventures around North America. You could have all the space of the motorhome when you want, and the flexibility of a truck camper when you want.
Sipester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipester View Post
Have you considered pulling your F350 and truck camper as your toad behind your motorhome? I've seen lots of people use trucks as their toad, not sure I've ever seen one with the truck camper, but why not? That would give you lots of options for adventures around North America. You could have all the space of the motorhome when you want, and the flexibility of a truck camper when you want.
Good thought. It would give a person lots of options but honestly, I really don't want to tow a toad that big. When we go to urban areas in the MH, we usually take a Uber but when we tow a vehicle behind the bus, we tow a really small car (Chevy Spark) that's repetitively inexpensive.

Having the truck camper has been fun. Compared to maneuvering the larger motorhome in urban areas or tight campgrounds, the truck camper is much easier. I enjoy the simplicity. My wife is not as excited about the small TC as I am but mostly based on limited space and creature comfort. However, it's way better than what we have been doing for the past 20 years when back packing and back country camping, which is sleeping in a tent!

It's nice to have the option of bigger MH vs small TC, depending on our destination. Also, my adult kids really like it because they have used our truck camper several times to join us on an adventure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spark.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	288593   Click image for larger version

Name:	tow ready.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	288594  

Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:49 AM   #4

have both

We have a 34 ft 5th wheel and a cabover, it all depends where you want to go and do. When taking the Jeep, boat, car hauler for car shows, short stays, cabover works best.
Brought medium to well used 1994 Fleetwood, with wet toilet, 3 way frig, microwave, A/C heater all which work. Restored all that needed fixing.
All new siding, roof, wood rot, inside was in excellent shape , took out the dinette and installed caption chairs.
Price was right. it has a Sure-Lift jack system which scared off most people that inquired about which drove down the price. I didn't want to buy a new or even slightly use CO, all said and done have $5000 invested and done they way I want it.
Have a 3500 Ram dully with auto air bags, handles it with no issues.
WinslowRV is offline   Reply With Quote