Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2020, 07:27 PM   #1

Question Old guy question... night-time bed egress

Ok, I'm an old fart that has to get up once at night to visit the john... I've been considering a truck camper, but getting out and in of the bed looks to be a hassle compared to my current walk-around bed in my travel trailer.

Any truck camper folks care to share their helpful tips/tricks for bed egress/ingress?
tennisman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have no problem in my class A.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:54 PM   #3

Only once at night?
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #4

Urinal
Some even have glow in the dark lids so they are easier to find/use in the dark

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #5

Roll over on your stomach and back out on your hands and knees. You'll end up standing on the step at the foot of the bed. It's actually easier than sitting up at the side of a bed if you have a bad back.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #6

That was the very reason my wife wanted to go to a MH after 40 years of TC ownership. I'm 81 and my wife is 74, so we're not "spring chickens". After four cross country trips she had fallen several times each trip by being up in the MH when I had to apply the brakes pretty hard. The last time she thought she may have broken ribs, but chose not to go to a hospital. That was a year ago and she still complains about them.

After that I gave it some hard thought and bought another TC, with her consent, of course. We got a '96 Lance 945 and a '96 Dodge Cummins because they had the features we both wanted, newer ones did not. I noticed the Lance campers back then had some extra little steps to help getting into the bed. We'll see how that works. In our search for a camper I also saw some with hand holds placed in strategic places I assumed were to help getting into and out of the bed. There were also some stools and other devices folks had improvised for, I would assume, the same purpose.

We're in the getting ready stage of a OR to WV trip, hopefully in time to catch the fall foliage. We'll see how getting into and out of the bed works then, and if the little steps help. Perhaps I'll need to come up with some other additions to help with that.

Best of luck with your choice.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:57 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Roll over on your stomach and back out on your hands and knees. You'll end up standing on the step at the foot of the bed. It's actually easier than sitting up at the side of a bed if you have a bad back.
Tried that at home, and by golly it is very easy and stress-less.

Thanks!

tennisman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #8

Larger campers may have a floor that is closer to the bed. Chalet, Eagle Cap and Host campers have tall basements that go up to the height of a pickup bed rail and then the floor starts. This makes getting into and out bed no worse than a tall residential bed. Mine has access through the kitchen or pass through bathroom on the other side.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #9

old guy question

Maybe you should run a relief tube from the bed to the holding tank. After 22 years in the Air Force around fighters, this may be your answer.
I'm 82 wish it was only once a night!
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #10

When do you qualify as an old fart? I'm 65 with a bad back/knee and I'm up once or twice during the night. We had the original mattress that came with our Arctic Fox 1150 and it was a POS but not difficult to get in and out of, more of a minor annoyance. I added a 3" foam/gel topper and it was definitely harder to get out of and was a killer on my back.

I sent the topper back and gave the mattress away. I should be getting my hybrid mattress in a box tomorrow...... we'll see. It can't be as bad as what I had and keeping my fingers crossed it's better.

Rick
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #11
laj

i find short of a major physical,body issue, such as an amputation, fused back, a person can pretty well figure out how to accomplish what they want if they want it bad enough. My dad used his camper all the time at 87.

I plan on using mine till i’m no longer breathing. just buy the one you like and have fun. using it.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:17 PM   #12
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
That was the very reason my wife wanted to go to a MH after 40 years of TC ownership. I'm 81 and my wife is 74, so we're not "spring chickens". After four cross country trips she had fallen several times each trip by being up in the MH when I had to apply the brakes pretty hard. The last time she thought she may have broken ribs, but chose not to go to a hospital. That was a year ago and she still complains about them.

After that I gave it some hard thought and bought another TC, with her consent, of course. We got a '96 Lance 945 and a '96 Dodge Cummins because they had the features we both wanted, newer ones did not. I noticed the Lance campers back then had some extra little steps to help getting into the bed. We'll see how that works. In our search for a camper I also saw some with hand holds placed in strategic places I assumed were to help getting into and out of the bed. There were also some stools and other devices folks had improvised for, I would assume, the same purpose.

We're in the getting ready stage of a OR to WV trip, hopefully in time to catch the fall foliage. We'll see how getting into and out of the bed works then, and if the little steps help. Perhaps I'll need to come up with some other additions to help with that.

Best of luck with your choice.

Steve

great plan. one can make anything work if they really want it. campers are also so versatile.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Only once at night?
Took the words out of my mouth.

That guy is lucky.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:59 AM   #14

I only hope to get old enough to have these types of complaints - My family history says otherwise.