RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:19 PM   #29

I'm not Jake, but I thought I'd throw in my 2c anyway.

I would go for the built in gen simply because it's very nice to sit inside the RV and crank it up to run the micro, AC, and/or whatever else you need it for. The alternative is to go outside to crank it up in whatever kind of weather is out there. This is especially true if you are on the road overnighting in rest areas, truck stops, Walmarts, etc. Built in is much more convenient, and either way you will have to carry it along so the weight will be there.

The first TC we had from '78 to '93 did not have a gen. and we often found ourselves in situations where AC, micro, etc. would be nice, but nothing to power it with. That became a priority when looking for the next TC that we had from '93 until '16. We're looking for another one now and it will have a built in gen.

Our campers have all been 11.5 feet long, and so will the next one. IMHO, it's the best way to get more space and amenities.

I would feel the same way about a MH, and most of them, including ours, do. We've never had a TT or 5er, but I've camped while hunting with several TT owners who used portable gens. They seemed to be satisfied with them and could just carry them in their truck bed when traveling. That wouldn't be possible with a TC.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
Thank you for saying "thanks".

1.) Since you already own the truck and you have a posted payload of 3281, then I would try to stay within 600 pounds of that weight when fully loaded.
Just my opinion.

2.) 3281 pounds seems low for a 2019 F350 longbed, even with 4x4 and the Powerstroke engine.
The last time I put an order together for an F350 I did notice that Ford will de-rate the vehicle's payload according to what tires & wheels are ordered on the truck.
Basically fancy wheels = low GVWR, while lower trim wheels = higher GVWR.

Ford was also the only manufacturer that would allow you to pick any one of three GVWR stickers to be placed on your vehicle (low, medium, or high), in the pre-order phase. It sounds crazy but in the 2015/16 model year it was certainly true because I went through it.

3.) My final thought on your seemingly low payload is that being a Ford it may indeed be possible (in theory?) to significantly increase your payload with different tires & wheels.

* What is the posted GVWR in pounds of your truck? *

As an example. . .

Sorry to pester you with this stuff but your 3281 payload has peaked my curiosity.
Regards,
-Jake-
The sticker Jake posted is a F150 with P rated tires, but still applies to the HD series.

Bedlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
The sticker Jake posted is a F150 with P rated tires, but still applies to the HD series.
The sticker i posted was merely a blind example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19SD View Post
Jake, Good morning sir!
1.) My GVWR is 11500, rear axle 7230, front axle 5990.
My CAT scale weight a few days ago was 8620,
5040 steering,
3580 drive.

2.) The ‘chief’ really like the NL 10.2.
The 9.6 is around 600 less but no onboard Gen.
Still trying to decide to go Onan or portable... all have pros and cons. Bottom line is not overloading the truck.
1.) Looks like you have a good handle on all the weights & measures.
It would seem you know what your truck can carry and what the camper will weigh.
And as I said previously; being somewhat overweight is not a crisis issue.

2.) IMHO a NL 10.2 is kind of pushing it for a SRW truck but if your going with a NorthernLite a Ford is "the" truck to put it on.

Shown below,
NorthernLite 10.2 on a SRW Ford...

Happy Camping!
-Jake-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #32

Yeah, we saw the promo pics of the camper on the F350 also. I wonder what suspension mods were done if any to the truck, it looks level with the camper on it. Could be dry weight I suppose....thanks much!!

19SD is offline   Reply With Quote