Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 04:34 PM   #1

Portable Generators

I'm looking at a Host camper that doesn't have a built in generator. Need some education on portable generators. Are there smaller units that you can remote start? Also how do you hook them up? Use the shore power cord or can they be wired into camper?

What brands to look at? Seems Honda is always the got to.
Wildman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 08:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Honda is the popular make, but others are quickly catching up with quality and noise levels.

Not many of the lower power ones have remote start, but if you ask around you may get some pointers.

As far as connecting to your rig, there are plenty of choices for auto transfer switches. Just be sure to get one that's rated high enough.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:07 PM   #3

I bought a 2015 Host Aspin No generator
In fact, none of the campers I have bought had one
Prep for one yes
I put a Champion 3500 Dual fuel electric start in the Host 98 lbs I think
The Champion comes with a 30-amp setup so all I do is plug in
There is plenty of room in belly of a Host
Wife and I can set in on the ground or tail of the camper
Is the 3500 to big maybe but that's what I had in the Carriage
Now the Carriage has a 4500 Westinghouse Dual fuel Remote start 109 Lbs
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:46 PM   #4

I know the quality of Host and have always really like them. This is a smaller Rainer dual slide wet bath. My other choice is a Lance 1191 that has been setup for boondocking with solar panels already. I know Lance makes a good product also so I've got to choose between the two.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:45 AM   #5
laj

Host is having some issues right now with their quality control on caulking. I was just at a dealers tues. where a guy was getting ready to do a pdi on a brand new mammoth.

It had to go back to the factory for a roof leak that was running down the left rear corner on the inside. Not good on a 80k plus unit.

Lance use to be better till.......
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Host is having some issues right now with their quality control on caulking. I was just at a dealers tues. where a guy was getting ready to do a pdi on a brand new mammoth.

It had to go back to the factory for a roof leak that was running down the left rear corner on the inside. Not good on a 80k plus unit.

Lance use to be better till.......
The Host is a 2006 & the Lance is a 2009 so all the current quality issues are not a problem. Of course being older and used I'll have to check them out really well for any issues.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:27 AM   #7
laj

Portable Generators

I would prefer those to the new ones.
Far as i’m concerned, its honda all the way.
Funny how everything else gets compared to them.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:32 AM   #8

Some random thoughts

You didn't say what you were trying to run with the generator. If you just want to keep your house batteries charged while boondocking, you could probably get by with a 1,000 watt generator. If you want to run an air conditioner, you will need a MINIMUM of one of the 2,200 watt generators PLUS you are probably going to need to mod your air conditioner with something like the Micro Air EasyStart or one of the other soft-start options. There are some pretty good YouTube videos on this.

Also, the Long, Long Honeymoon YouTube channel has a number of good videos of tests they've run on various brands of generators, running generators on propane instead of gasoline, etc.

Keep in mind that internal combustion engines lose power as you go up in altitude. A generator that can power an air conditioner at sea level may not run it if you camp at 8,000+ feet elevation in the mountains.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:41 PM   #9

The Boliy inverter genset has a remote start option and WILL run a 15K air conditioner in the Rocky mountains. I speak from experience.
Here at home (783'elevation) I did a test after purchasing my Boliy, it started and ran my 15k air conditioner while my 13k air conditioner was running. That was on a 2008 5th wheel trailer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The Boliy inverter genset has a remote start option and WILL run a 15K air conditioner in the Rocky mountains. I speak from experience.
Here at home (783'elevation) I did a test after purchasing my Boliy, it started and ran my 15k air conditioner while my 13k air conditioner was running. That was on a 2008 5th wheel trailer.
That's quite a nice little generator and weighs less than the Champion 3100 dual fuel. The only thing that would make it better is a propane conversion kit.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, generators