Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2017, 11:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjweener1 View Post
Bought the truck and now in the final stages of ordering a new Northstar Arrow U.

I'd like to hear what folks prefer for refrigerators....
2 way vs 12 volt compressor.
I've read the pros and cons but still not sure which way to go.
Greetings cjweener1,

FWIW, I had a similar dilemma a while ago when putting in my order for a new Northstar Arrow-U.
After much research (and pondering) I came up with this solution...

I purchased an ARB Freezer/Fridge model 47L to keep my perishables cold while on the road, and ordered my Arrow-U with the standard propane/ammonia refrigerator for when I am stopped and camping.

The ARB fridge is 110/220AC & 12vdc. It rides in the back seat floor area of my pickup truck and is plugged into the rear console 12VDC lighter socket. This allows me access to cold drink & food while driving.
When we finally stop to camp I simply transfer any perishables into the Northstar’s reefer once it’s up and running.

ARB unit with optional soft cover...

The box it came in...

You get the idea…

Regards,
-Ej-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #16

Awesome! Thanks Electrojake! I was thinking of doing the same thing....best of both worlds! Have you received your new Arrow-U yet? Ours is in the works. We are putting it on a new Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn SRW Mega-Cab. How are you liking your set-up? Hope to see you on the road! Thanks buddy!
cjweener1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjweener1 View Post
1.) Have you received your new Arrow-U yet?

2.) We are putting it on a new Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn SRW Mega-Cab.
1.) Nope, not yet.
I placed the order in mid March and was first told there was a 6+ month wait for the build, then got a 'wink' and was told that 2 months was more like it.
<who knows> So I'm figuring on an August 2017 delivery.
Since I don't particularly 'camp' and my wife is still working full time, it really doesn't matter right now anyway.

2.) Before I bought my 3500 crew-cab short-bed I was very interested in getting a MegaCab dually. I wanted the extra payload since I knew the Arrow-U 8.5 (and all my junk) would be stretching the limits of my trucks anemic 3705# payload.

Whether your truck is a dually or not doesn't really matter but I would be real interested is seeing some photos of how your camper looks on a Mega-cab.
A Mega-cab is what I really wanted but got cold feet and stayed with the shorter Crew-cab Ram.

Sorry for the off-topic foray here.
I'll send you a PM with the rest of the story.
Regards,
-Ej-
Old 04-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #18

We bought an ARB - the largest one. We replaced a propane unit with the ARB. Couldn't be happier to have the propane unit gone. Propane unit had too many flame outs, never cold enough, quite a PITA.

Now, ordered a new, expensive camper. Deleted the propane fridge and had custom installed a fridge with the same Danfoss compressor as the ARB. A couple of extra solar panels and couple of extra batteries and all is good. Deleted the installed generator as well and got a Honda 2000 converted to propane for when we need the A/C. The solar and batteries run the fridge without any issues. The warmer months need more power - luckily warmer months have more daylight so, again, no issues with solar and batteries.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
Now, ordered a new, expensive camper. Deleted the propane fridge and had custom installed a fridge with the same Danfoss compressor as the ARB.
A couple of extra solar panels and couple of extra batteries and all is good.

Deleted the installed generator as well and got a Honda 2000 converted to propane for when we need the A/C.
The solar and batteries run the fridge without any issues. The warmer months need more power - luckily warmer months have more daylight so, again, no issues with solar and batteries.
You have a well thought-out new system.

I wanted to go with the 12VDC compressor fridge in my new TC but chickened out and went with the standard propane.
I'm a rookie and have a lot to learn yet. I was afraid that here in the Northeast with clouds, snow, tree coverage, etc... I simply wouldn't get enough sunshine to keep my batteries charged.

Best of luck with the new equipment. Please be sure to stop back and let us know how it all works out.
It sounds like its gonna' be great.
Regards.
-Ej-
Old 04-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #20

This is in the truck camper section? A truck camper will be challenged to fit more than 2 solar panels and 2 group 31 batteries.

Nothing wrong with dual mode refrigerator 120 vac & propane. Plug in and cool refrigerator before loading for a trip. Put already cold items in. Leave fridge on auto. When you unplug it will automatically switch to propane.
Chriswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #21

New member here so be gentle!

For us the difference between a 2 way and 3 way fridge came down to how we camp.
For us we usually move everyday and seldom plug in. We also plan on going down some fairly uneven roads and that meant a 2 way fridge for our Hallmark pop up camper. We have 2, 6 volt GC batteries and 2, 100 amp solar panels and so far we have never had an issue with our fridge. In fact my wife, who grew up camping in various Class A's commented on how well the fridge works.
smlobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #22

If you plan to camp or extensively drive on uneven ground, you want to avoid any of the absorption fridges and look into the compressor fridges. Running an absorption fridge on DC is very inefficient and will still cause the same issues on the uneven terrain if you were on LPG or AC.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #23

Our TC came with a two way dometic, it does a decent job of keep stuff safely cool.
Before our trips we freeze 3/4 full, half-gallon jugs of water,
Those go into the fridge a day before we leave and we start the fridge
This cools stuff down quickly and then when on the road it helps stabilize the temps, when get where we are going the bottles go into the freezer.

Our fridge is OE to the 2000 Bigfoot, and when it finally gives up the ghost I suspect we will replace it with another two way.

We have had some issue with parking and finding level ground, but we will have those issues regardless of the fridge, I get a whopper of a headache if the beds not mostly flat.

We've had no major issue with flame out, on the road and our fridge doesn't us much propane at all.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Our TC came with a two way dometic, it does a decent job of keep stuff safely cool.
Before our trips we freeze 3/4 full, half-gallon jugs of water,
Those go into the fridge a day before we leave and we start the fridge
This cools stuff down quickly and then when on the road it helps stabilize the temps, when get where we are going the bottles go into the freezer.

Our fridge is OE to the 2000 Bigfoot, and when it finally gives up the ghost I suspect we will replace it with another two way.

We have had some issue with parking and finding level ground, but we will have those issues regardless of the fridge, I get a whopper of a headache if the beds not mostly flat.

We've had no major issue with flame out, on the road and our fridge doesn't us much propane at all.

Squish if your fridge can use propane then you have a 3 way fridge, not a 2 way.
A 2 way only uses 12 volt or when plugged in at a campsite it uses 110 volt.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #25

SMLOBX,
You have that backwards.
A two way either uses 110 or propane, a 3 way adds 12 volt.
Most campers come with a two way, propane or 110.
Keep in mind that when on propane, 12 volt is still required to run the circuit board and the fans and the fridge light.
skyhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:50 AM   #26

Well it looks like this is a timely topic as there seems to be contradictory information all over the net...

When I refer to two way fridges I mean compressor fridges. Also, when I refer to three way I am referring to absorbtion fridges.

In my camper I have a two way compressor fridge that runs on either 12volt, or if I'm plugged in, 110 volt. Most RV's (Class A's and Class C's use three way fridges. I'm not sure what most truck campers use...

If you have a few minutes scroll about half way down the page linked below on the left hand side for a very comprehensive video describing the two types of fridges and the pluses and minuses of each.

Video Gallery - Four Wheel Campers | Low Profile, Light Weight, Pop-up Truck Campers
Old 05-03-2017, 05:38 AM   #27

My Class C fridge is 2 way absorbsion. It runs on Gas or 120 volts.

Most A's and C's use them. It would be rare to see a 12 volt absorbsion fridge.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:44 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Your both right, I have an A class with a 2-way absorption fridge LPG/AC, my old RV had a 3-way LPG/AC/DC.

You can also get 2 way that are AC/DC.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, newbie, refrigerator, solar