Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2003, 04:19 PM   #15

Jacques,

Thanks for the help. I spent quite some time yesterday talking to Susan from Progressive Dynamics. She explained that they used to have an older converter panel that sounds something like the Magnetec which she has since adapted for the PD9140. She is going to send me the schematics for comparison. She also said the PD9140 is quite capable of sensing the load voltage including the battery and will adjust itself as necessary. It will also provide 12 volt power to the entire camper without a battery if needed or necessary.

I think I'm kinda leaning towards option number two, but I'll know better when everything gets here and I look over the system.

BTW, I bought a reconditioned PD9140 for $126.00 while on the phone with her. I also got the charge wizard. Susan stated that most of the converters sent back have nothing wrong with them and it turns out to be a dead cell in the battery, but they are all repaired if necessary and tested before shipping.

Rich
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2003, 05:40 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JTS:
BTW, I got the PD9150 for $139 brand new (with warranty card) on eBay for an RV retailer in Texas. The Charge Wizard was a little over $24. In fact, I see new PD91XX for sale on eBay all the time at great prices from reputable sources.

I hope this helps.

Jacques

'02' Ford F-350, 6-spd, SRW, 4x4, V-10, Ext. cab, Rancho 9000s, air bags
'98' Bigfoot 2500 10.6, torklift, Honda EU2000<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jacques,
You certainly got a good price for the PD9150. That's less than half price of the Truecharge 40+. I'm not sure if the display monitor and temperature sensor are worth that difference. Time will tell. Does the PD9150 have the option to charge other than lead acid batteries?
regards,
Larry.
PS. So you live just north of Ottawa. That's only a 2 hour drive from Harrowsmith. Maybe we'll have to meet somewhere and talk shop? My wife likes to go to the tack shops like the Apple Saddlery, and another store, but can't remember the name. I seem to worry about the fuel consumption. We certainly drop a lot more money in these shops. I shouldn't be complaining I do my share of spending! Truecharge?! Hahaha...

1998 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
Ayeedo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:19 PM   #17
JTS

Rich,

You won't regret getting the PD9140. I assume you purchased the Charge Wizard as well.

I chose option 3 because it is more convenient and provides an alternative if one system fails. Moreover, if I upgrade the camper, I can take out the PD9140 and the Magnetek is still in original condition. Another advantage is that I can go back to option 2 at any time if any part of the Magnetek fails.

Good price on the reconditioned unit. The only difference I could find when I bought mine was an extra year warranty for a new unit.

Good luck with your installation.

Larry,

The PD9140 (not PD9150 as per the last para of my previous post) is not adjustable for type of battery. It doesn't matter much with AGM batteries where voltage at all 3 stages of charging is close to flooded batteries. It is an important consideration if you intend to use gell cells.

I also purchased a Truecharge 10 portable for charging other batteries and maintaining camper batteries over the winter. The total cost for the PD9140, Charge Wizard and Truecharge 10 portable was $50 less than the best price I could get for the Truecharge 40+.

I do live about 10K north of Ottawa in the Gatineau hills. I like your idea of meeting somewhere to talk shop or compare notes. Here's my e-mail address: jlecaval@comnet.ca

BTW, I tried to locate Harrowsmith on MapQuest - couldn't find it!

Jacques

'98' Bigfoot 2500 10.6, torklift, Honda EU2000
Old 06-07-2003, 09:17 AM   #18

JTS,

Well, I installed the 9140 and I mounted it in the cabinet under the sink. I made sure it would be out of the way just in case any water made it through from the counter top. This should give it enough air circulation to keep it cool. I disconnected the charger section in my Magnatek and left it in the box. I had to run a jumper wire from the 12 volt tie in on the right side to the center screw on the fuse panel to tie in the second half of the 12 volt fuses. (It's a blue wire that doesn't look like it ties into anything when you look at it from the front.)

This thing is great. Charges the battery in no time and with the charge wizard I don't have to worry about overcharging my battery and it even has the maintainence cycle.

I ran the stable-lift as I was working underneath the camper the other day and I then checked the charge wizard and it never came off of maintaince meaning that it provided all of the power for running the three jacks at once.

I'm real happy with the conversion and highly recommend it.

Adk Rebel

"Responsibility is the price of freedom" ~~ Michael Cloud
Old 06-07-2003, 05:40 PM   #19
JTS

ADK Rebel,

Congratulations on your new installation.

I installed my PD9140 under the sink as well. To prevent water from getting to it, I rigged up a sheet of 6 mil polyethylene (2 layers folded) which is taped to 14/2 wires on both sides and stapled to the camper frame on each side of the sink. The wires provide sufficient stiffness to shape the poly to contour the pipes under the sink and slope water away from the PD9140. I have since driven over relatively rough roads with the camper and the poly cover over the PD9140 has retained its shape.

BTW, I'm also very impressed with the performance of the PD9140 with Charge Wizard. It takes no more than 3-4 hours to recharge 2 type 27 batteries that are 40%-50% discharged. It would take a full day to do that with the Magnetek.

Jacques

'98' Bigfoot 2500 10.6, torklift, Honda EU2000
Old 03-20-2007, 08:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tassinari:

P/S--For you Lance owners that had a Gen/Set problem in the Late Ninetys,where the generator would run fine then "Take off" like the governor was disconnected...And if I remember correctly it was the Propane Generac NP3400 Series Generator--Now upgraded to the NP3600 Series, it was that Filter in the Electronic Converter that was causing that particular problem in some of the NP3400 units, so what the Dealers did was to remove the "Electronic 7300 Series" Converter and put in the 6300 series Converter

Mike Tassinari
Here is my dilemma. I've got a 1999 Lance camper with the NP3400 propane generator. My 6300 series converter has died and I need to replace it.

What options do I have in replacing the converter with a compatable sized converter. I'm hoping that I will be able to use This Upgrade

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #21

Magnetek conversion