Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2020, 11:00 PM   #15

Nope no lies, all the truth. Gotta be on FB... "Host Truck Camper Owners" its on Facebook because its the ONLY Host Forum where you find out what really are Host issues....all campers have them.

I have owned two Lance campers and I am looking at Host. Lance has made some lousy campers in the past few years and their slide mechanisms are crap. I'm done with Lance. So, wife and I decided we would move to Host while we are waiting for some finances to shake down and become available, we are doing our due diligence.

If you don't believe me, join the FB Forum. They may not let you in.

Bedlam, it is not a dig on you personally. But no b.s. Host is far from perfect for what they charge! YOU need to join the FB forum as an owner. But I swear, everything I posted is true. You really need to join the forum!

I absolutely will not post pics. That is not my job. You want proof, join the forum. Its your job to do the due diligence too. I'm simply telling you what I saw, heard and instant messaged other owners. I am not dissuaded from buying a Host, but I will tell you, I won't leave the factory till I have potential issues resolved. BUT NOW I KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR! I already posted what I saw pictured.

I am no liar.
TerryCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #16

I am on the group you referenced and few more plus some dedicated forums. You have to have remember that most problems are isolated and not systemic. Then there is a member that touts covering every RV roof in rubber coating...
Old 05-19-2020, 12:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
I am on the group you referenced and few more plus some dedicated forums. You have to have remember that most problems are isolated and not systemic. Then there is a member that touts covering every RV roof in rubber coating...
Absolutely NOT TRUE! There is an issue with build dates in 2018-2019 with leaking in the cabover. The rain rail screws under the plastic screw cover on the entire cabover .... the screws were NOT waterproofed!!!

Why do I mention it? Because there WILL be some poor schmuck that gets a rotted overhead bunk and the area under it! Bedlam, I can understand if you haven't looked online for a while, but you are mistaken.... on what I posted on and MORE than just that one issue.

Second. The screws that hold the electric jacks were not sealed (about the same time frame as above) and the water gets in behind the jacks and you know you have an issue when rust water starts to leave running rust marks on a WHITE wall around the jacks. More than a few commented on that one!

3RD. At least 4 posts (in past 12 months) show the corrugated flex-drain lines under both sinks have split! Drain a sink, water floods under it. Kinked the line with slide usage causes it...the cutout was too sharp and grabbing the drain lines.

4th. The two doors into the 6' tray close left/right together. Way more than a few people since 2017 have complained the screws holding the frame DOWN in front of the doors, leak. Water travels into the frame via unsealed screws.. Then the wood abelow the door frame below stays wet from rain. Some apply silicone, but many unsuspecting owners have no idea about the rot.

I'm not talking about little stuff like the bathroom doors that fly off and get damaged. Im not talking about hinges not straight....that kinda stuff happens. I'm talking about LEAKS.

All of the issues I bring up are from late 2017 to units picked up before the March 2020.

Host has found poor workers (and I assume were canned) for the overhead cab leak issue, but you know darn well there are more than a few of those un noticed until the owners that keep them in the garage get rained on a bit! It's not like Host has called people about it either...they haven't said a peep. I wanted to look at one but called the dealer first and they were having a TRADED unit in for an Arctic Fox because of the leak. The dealer sent the unit to the factory to get fixed. So, there was one NOT on the forum. Good on that dealer for being honest!

I'm not saying that a Host isn't in my future, I'm saying they are absolutely no better than everyone else, maybe not as bad as some. But leaks are no excuse.

Bedlam, go back to posts from 2017 and read forward. It will take you almost 3 days, but I promise, I am telling the truth. Keep in mind, Maybe all these issues are only 2017 and forward (that's as far back as I am willing to buy used). But since the build rush of the 2018 till now (before Covid) Host has issues!---just like every other brand. Build them fast and Quality Control goes down.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #18

Terry Camper, after reading your other posts it looks like you own a lance camper? Are you looking to buy a new camper is that the reason you follow other MFG of campers?

If you were to read on this web site you would see a ton of problems with all MFG of RV's, when I purchased my Host I read every web site I could find on them, yes I also post and research on FB Host owners web site. When I purchased my HOST I sent the factory and the dealer a list of all the problems that I found on those web sites and told them that I would be looking for all of them when I did my pre delivery inspection so they better take care of them up front. Yes, I looked at the screws in the front cap, yes, I looked at the bolts on the jacks etc...

My Camper has been great so far, I have received great service from Apache and Host. Yes, I had a couple of issues they call this a punch list, like all MFG it is common, and you are correct you need to research. You must admit that Host makes the most attractive camper on the market today, I have a warranty to fix any defects in the first 12 months and then it is prorated for years two and three. My Mammoth kills the 1172 Lance, what I care about is ten years down the road, if I take care of my camper (key word I) it should last longer than the rest with the way it is built.

I would like to understand your motive on posting, is it education or something else?
Old 05-21-2020, 10:46 PM   #19

That is a great question. I Want a Host. I don't want Host to pretend there aren't issues and clean up their act. I am 100% positive that the issues are likely temporary. At least, Id like to think so. But the leak issues from the cabover were not met with a maker that had a lot of compassion. THAT, I am sure of! Reading post after post, it's not my opinion, that's from the new owners that had them leak. I figure there will be complainers when this season actually starts and units in a shed all winter get out and about.

Hey, you guys that have a trouble free unit, hooray for you! But there are new issues.

So, if you Host owners want to preserve your campers value, you will point out some issues that are obviously in the past 3 years and hope Host affects change.

Plain and simple, I want Host to do a better job till I buy one! I have no other hidden agenda.

I figured I had made my point clear. But I guess some current owners believe all is well with the new Hosts' because there's was/is. I am no FAN BOY. I call them how owners have reported them.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #20
laj

this makes no sense. If i felt that way about something, knew all the flaws, had to threaten the co. and the dealer to feel i might get lucky no way in hell would i drop 50k plus.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
this makes no sense. If i felt that way about something, knew all the flaws, had to threaten the co. and the dealer to feel i might get lucky no way in hell would i drop 50k plus.
Its 60+K.....

The real dilemma is that Lance is too small, EC has no floor plan that works for a full size family, and Host is the ONLY one that has custom ordering and enough room for all of us. Plus, we LOVE the storage.

It's got to be a Host. I just want them to improve by the time I buy in 4 months. That ought to be enough time to clean crap up.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow after reading all of this l'm glad we have our 014 Lance 1181 it's been a great camper. As long as one is careful operating the slide (very level, go all the way in & out) so far no problems. I do believe we have one of the last good Lance's, don't like any of there floorplans, colors, & seem to have leaking issues. I will probably never buy another new camper again, (why would I) good luck!