Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2005, 05:12 AM   #1

I have been running with firestone air springs for about 2 years now.
the camper stays on the truck 24/7.
recently a friend installed timbrens on his truck and I was impressed with the fact there is no maintenance.
was wondering if any body else has experience with these.
thanks for your comments.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2005, 05:12 AM   #2

I have been running with firestone air springs for about 2 years now.
the camper stays on the truck 24/7.
recently a friend installed timbrens on his truck and I was impressed with the fact there is no maintenance.
was wondering if any body else has experience with these.
thanks for your comments.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:09 AM   #3

There is another option that I use. They are Supersprings. They add conciderable load carrying capacity and require no maintanence.

I love them as they don't effect the empty ride in a negetive way.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:06 PM   #4

I have Timbrens on the truck. They do not touch anything until a load is place on the truck. They are warrentied for live.
I use them with Rancho adjustable shocks.
The combo works great.
Chet
Old 10-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #5

We use timbrens on our plow trucks, they work great.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:32 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They add conciderable load carrying capacity </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NOT POSSIBLE. They just compensate for sag. Load capacity is more than just springs. It's brakes, axle size, and in many cases, transmission limits, and many other things.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:06 AM   #7

my truck has overload springs factory installed so I do not believe I can install additional springs.
even with the camper on the truck I still have about 3 inches before the overloads touch.
thinking about doing the "hockey puck" trick to get the overloads to kick in sooner.

compared to air springs, the timbrens looked like more reliable method of weight distribution under load and possibly more durable when off roading.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:56 PM   #8

I've had Timbrens on for over a year and like them much better than the Air Lift bags I had on before. The truck with camper is much more stable. They are just to simple and work great.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:50 PM   #9

I had timbrens for about one month in 1998. They were removed and Firestone bags installed in North Battleford, SA, while vacationing from Anchorage to lower 48. Reason... bottom of left timbren was pointing to the left duals and the right timbren was pointing towards the front.

I fully agree with the no maint. benefit. That is the biggest plus they have in my opinion. I know that my airbags give a better ride and I can adjust them to changing load conditions or side to side differences. My Firestone bags have performed ok since August 1998.

I know many users of timbrens are very happy with the product and I'm glad they are. However, timbrens are not my bag of tea.
dalton4 is offline   Reply With Quote